• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first comic book you ever bought

107 posts in this topic

Yes Cap - chromium covers shiny...shiiinnneeee.. I like shiny things too...they were not so cheap when I got back into comic buying...seems tho now more people are realizing that there are other sources for chromiums out there and can get it close to wholesale if they look hard enough...

I figured I'd get some of the nice looking covers from the 90's for fun then start being serious and collecting the key issues from the 70's and 80's of Spidey, DD, and X-men.

I may be wrong but it seems likes there's nothing really new out there like heroes, villians, storylines...... Seems almost like Marvel is just telling the stories from the past?! Am I wrong? I want to see some new exciting super heroes or villians to smack good ol spidey up side the head.

Check Current runs of Peter Parker and ASM: Straczynski just had Spidey face Morlun, a new villain that had Spidey $hittin' bricks and Ezekiel , a character with Spidey like powers...In PP, there was the recent bout with Fusion (Fusion 2? There was another fusion in ASM vol 1 issue 208?, looked like a plasma version of the molten man...) who I believe broke Spidey's neck and the past 4 issue story arc just brought back the original Green Goblin!!1 How'd they do that?

As a kid in the early 70's I used by anything Harvey, my favorite was Sad Sack. Later on I was big into Mad, Crazy and Cracked magazines. It wasn't until 1978 that I bought Marvel Tales # 98. That of course, was the reprint of Amazing Spider-man # 121. After reading that classic I was hooked for life! smile.gif

1) JMS is just re-telling Spidey's origin using a Totem-Con instead of a Ret-Con.

2) Ezekiel: Clone Saga, Scarlet Spider, What-If, same deal, who cares?

3) New and Improved Fusion, now with 60% more Molten Man in every bite.

4) Return of the Green Goblin - Duh!

I'm not seeing much new here, as even Morlun is part of a re-telling of Spidey's origin and beginnings. Marvel is living in the past, retreading where they've been instead of where they're going, like some old ball-player reliving their glory years.

CI - you Spidey hater...

totem-con? How does JMS rewrite the Spidey Origin to any more of a degree than the movie screenplay, lets say? what bits did you find worked as retro-active continuity in there? The man's got to work off something doesn't he....

I totally missed out on Clone saga - will have to catch up to you after I read more on it... tongue.gif

I don't think Fusion I in ASM is same Fusion (II) in this PP: story line...

And I here you are not thrilled with the Kevin smith job on the Black cat and fear his work on future ASM...

What about Spidey Blue: new look/take on poignant Spidey event...Tangled Web - very nicely handled with different writers and artists on an out of continuity line,

Spidey: get Kraven is also shaping up to be pretty comical, pardon the pun. Young Kraven has potential for big actoin in the series and his uncle gone nutz thinking he's Kraven - very convincing.

Or would you prefer a "New Universe" and return of the 2099 line with "new" everything everything

ALF #44 !!!! THE X-MEN PARODY!!!!

MAN AM I HOOKED!!!!!! grin.gif

Gotta love those hairy guys with big noses! cool.gif

Hey, Maybe ALF & WOLVIE could team up in an Ultimate Marvel Team up! wink.gif

Oh forgot, they canceled that POS laugh.gif

Four issues later for me supa... ASM 164 was the first comic to be truly mine. (I had read my brothers comics before then).

I remember others vaguely, but that one in particular was the issue that started me down this long path. I remember when my dad gave me a copy of PPSSM 1 after he got back from a trip.

Kev

Or would you prefer a "New Universe" and return of the 2099 line with "new" everything everything.

Nope, I'd just like these lamers to stop going through their old What If issues and moldy Silver Age Marvels looking for something to write about. No one at Marvel wants to move ahead and take characters forward, as it is a better short-term profit model to just keep the aging readership frozen in time.

A return (literally) to the glory years of Marvel, rehashed, revamped and (in the case of that hack Jeph Loeb), by picking gnat out of pepper with each character's backstory.

That's the problem when rabid fanboys become writers, they're all stuck in the time period that they were readers.

Oh geez... woke up on the wrong side of the bed again?

I've found JMS' Amazing pretty entertaining. He's been concentrating on character rather than slugfests and I think he's made some pretty interesting decisions. Definitely not status quo. Ditto for Tangled Web. #4 is one of the best Kingpin stories since the Miller Daredevils.

As for the other Spidey books, PPSM leaves me cold with its retro feel and bland artwork and writing, Get Kraven was so bad I don't have any idea who gave it a go, I like Blue's retro feel and think that there is a place for it, and of course I thoroughly enjoy USM. SM/Black Cat has been pretty good so far as well, but I'm always a sucker for a well drawn Black Cat.

Kev

Oh geez... woke up on the wrong side of the bed again?

Nope, but I must be quite different than most comic readers. For nostalgia and a shot of the "good old times", I buy back issues, but I expect (nay demand) that my new off-the-shelf comics aren't rehashes, retreads or a "fill in the blanks" BS Jeph Loeb backstory of what I already own or read.

I've actually found myself moving over to some CrossGen stuff because Marvel is so utterly pathetic and their mindset is totally locked in the 1960's. It must be truly sad to live your life in the past.

Way before the Batman show was ever on TV. Sometime during the 50's. Bought some early Batman comics, Classic Illustrated, and Showcase was just coming out with the rebirth of the (silver-age) heroes. Well they weren't called silver-age back then. Actually they didn't call the older comics golden-age either. That started some time later. But it really was the Batman comics that caught my interest.

The first one I remember buying was Superboy 166. I still have it, the condition is abysmal though. Anyone else have a big honking stamp with their name on it that they stamped on their comics? At least I usually stamped them on the indicia not the cover!

Late into this one, but...

Being from the UK:

First non-rubbish UK comic book: 2000AD #2 (First appearance of Judge Dredd)

First US comic book: Daredevil 181

Miles apart in terms of dates, right? Early 2000AD was fabulous - Judge Dredd by Bolland, more Alan Moore stories than you could shake a stick at, Carlos Ezquerra, weekly publication. Then I picked up DD 181, and, well, that was that.

BTW, check out the list of contributors to 2000AD - it fits in well with the other thread about British influence in US comics:

http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=index

When you get a regular gig writing a Spidey title, then I'll make sure I get a case of those pre-screened and hype it up "ASM 36 vol 2 CGC 10.0" style... tongue.gif

I collected Crossgen through the 1st nine issues of Meridian Mystic and up to the concurrent issues of The First, tried Ruse and Sojourn - they toally blew chunks when it came to the writing and plots. Art was good but without writing...

Art on PP was bland and I agree with Kev, but the storyline was enough to keep me buying the whole story arc...I dropped Crossgen cold turkey, but I don't think I'd ever be able to do that to Spidey.

I missed out on the what Ifs, and clones sagas....so for me this is new and titty- lating material wink.gif