• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Favorite Adams Covers Poll: FINAL Round!

Ultimate Favorite Adams Covers Poll: FINAL Round!  

384 members have voted

1. 1. Ultimate Favorite Adams Covers Poll: FINAL Round!

81 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who thinks the cover to GL 76 is totally lame? I've never understood why people like it so much. :shrug: The lifelessness of that punch really bothers me. To each their own I guess. I do like the strong sense of movement in Tomahawk 116 though.

I love most of these covers, but I think people vote what they want or like more than what they they think is best.

I mean I look at Green Lantern 76, classic comic, it's a nice Green cover, but when I look at the detail of it compared to that beautiful limited collectors edition it's not even in the same league, obviously in terms of value and a comic people want the GL 76 wins hands over, but can't tell me that the art on that cover is beter than that limited collectors edition?

I personaly think

House of Secrets 88

Limited collectors edition C-51

Tommahawk 116

House of mystery 178

are a lot better that GL 76 and Batman 227 (blasphemy on here)

herc

I agree completely. I also thought most of his painted covers from the Marvel Magazines period were the high-lights of his career. The C-51 was from the same time period.

As someone else mentioned, how the Superman Muhammad Ali cover didn't make the list is insane. Maybe it needed to be presented larger so all the background work could be seen.

I've always thought the covers to Batman 221 and Detective 405 were overlooked masterpieces. Something about the crouching, predatory Batman image. (thumbs u

Biggest surprises so far: Strange Adventures #207 finished 2nd overall in the prelims/semis, but is getting clobbered here in the finals. Also, the House of Mystery covers performed much better previously. Different crowd voting here in Comics General, with different criteria? (shrug)

Interesting. hm

I've always thought the covers to Batman 221 and Detective 405 were overlooked masterpieces. Something about the crouching, predatory Batman image. (thumbs u

Awesome covers! Not over-looked so much these days, but it did take some time.

Am I the only one who thinks the cover to GL 76 is totally lame? I've never understood why people like it so much. :shrug: The lifelessness of that punch really bothers me.

it's not a punch - GL is powering his ring when GA shoots the lantern.

Am I the only one who thinks the cover to GL 76 is totally lame? I've never understood why people like it so much. :shrug: The lifelessness of that punch really bothers me.

it's not a punch - GL is powering his ring when GA shoots the lantern.

+1

Batman 232, just because it's nice to see Robin get shot.

Great cover also, one of my favorites of the Adams Bat covers. I agree, it is nice to see Robin get shot! Some on here have complained that the green is too distracting and takes away from the detail. I have also even seen some re-colorings of #232 by boardies on here, to interesting effect. With the stand-out cover and interior Adams pencils plus knock-out Ra's Al Ghul intro story, you can't go wrong with this book. Absolutely made my top 15.

My final votes...

- Strange Adventures 207

- Tomahawk 116

- X-Men 58

- Superboy 160

- Green Lantern 76

- Detective Comics 395

- Batman 221

- Detective Comics 400

- House of Secrets 88

- Batman 227

- Superman 233

- Batman 232

- Batman 244

- Batman 251

- Limited Collector's Edition C-51

My final votes...

- Strange Adventures 207

- Tomahawk 116

- X-Men 58

- Superboy 160

- Green Lantern 76

- Detective Comics 395

- Batman 221

- Detective Comics 400

- House of Secrets 88

- Batman 227

- Superman 233

- Batman 232

- Batman 244

- Batman 251

- Limited Collector's Edition C-51

Very similar to mine. Here's one that I didn't pick and a lot of the community would disagree with me, but: X-Men #58. Never liked it, probably never will. Love the interior art and story arc, but never understood the love for the cover. My least favorite of the Adams X-Men covers, and the only one that made the finals. (shrug)

First Adams book I read, summer 1974.

I was blown away by the interior artwork, impressed by the excellent, inventive cover design, and it was responsible for turning me into a lifelong Adams fan, so X-Men 58 is a personal milestone in comics.

First Adams book I read, summer 1974.

I was blown away by the interior artwork, impressed by the excellent, inventive cover design, and it was responsible for turning me into a lifelong Adams fan, so X-Men 58 is a personal milestone in comics.

Inventive I'll give you. It always seemed rushed to me otherwise.

The book that's currently number 2 in the poll I could never understand.

It's a very cool cover but I think I'm just so numb from seeing it almost EVERYWHERE in the late 70's...

I think it was included in every polybagged 3 pack!

The book that's currently number 2 in the poll I could never understand.

It's a very cool cover but I think I'm just so numb from seeing it almost EVERYWHERE in the late 70's...

I think it was included in every polybagged 3 pack!

It made my top 15, but just barely. More known for being a pop art classic now with the image burned into all our minds, rather than for its technical detail (much like our 1st place cover). Only vintage cover Adams did featuring the villain too. Seemed to really gain steam demand-wise right after The Dark Knight was a hit. hm

(thumbs u

#221 is my favorite. Been looking for a HG copy for a long time.

Like the "short ear" Bats.