• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Results of CBCA Pressing Experiment

86 posts in this topic

Do you have a pdf or downloadable version of the article?

Using images makes some aspects blurry

There's a link to the pdf version at the top of the page. (thumbs u

Thanks..

Didn't realize it was a link to file

Without "Captain America" or "Cal" in the title this thread dosen't stand a chance.

Results of CBCA Pressing Experiment pressing Captain America into cal?

My original concern seems to have been accurate--the margin of error in the testing is greater than most of the differences found in the unpressed and pressed samples. I suppose at least the testing suggests that if there is a change, it's slight and less than the reasonable deviations in testing.

I've got no doubt that pressing causes extremely minor damage mostly because professional conservationists use it sparingly and because it just makes sense that heat leads to acidic breakdown just as when pulp is subjected to normal home temperatures that range from 50 to 100 degrees.

So...pressing is actually GOOD for comics? lol

Like it stated in the report, the sample size is too small to make generalizations but for these two books, the GA book did see an improvement in flexibility but the CA book did not. What this initial experiment shows is that measurable tests can be performed on comic books. Further testing with the various methods of pressing available will need to be done before you can say one way or the other that pressing is good/bad for comics.

Like it stated in the report, the sample size is too small to make generalizations but for these two books, the GA book did see an improvement in flexibility but the CA book did not. What this initial experiment shows is that measurable tests can be performed on comic books. Further testing with the various methods of pressing available will need to be done before you can say one way or the other that pressing is good/bad for comics.

^^

I don't get what this has to do with Captain America. (shrug)

I've got no doubt that pressing causes extremely minor damage mostly because professional conservationists use it sparingly and because it just makes sense that heat leads to acidic breakdown just as when pulp is subjected to normal home temperatures that range from 50 to 100 degrees.

If we move forward with further testing, perhaps acidity is something we can add to the regimen.

There are the PH markers, but a lab would have something far more precise.