• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Sightings (the good, the bad, the ugly; for a few $$$ more)...

57 posts in this topic

This thread is dedicated to the strange and unexplainable, that bazaar-o world that exists in it's own mysterious part of the fan universe for one week of the year in Southern California. This isn't exactly a con-report, more of a curious sightings journal. Please contribute your own impressions, photos and thoughts. Perhaps through viewing these very odd images we can better understand those events that defy description, then again...

MYSTERIOUS SIGHTINGS #1:

IMG_0023.jpg

Batman trying to steal Cap's thunder by scaling the side of a hotel, but Cap escaped via a pedicab; he was doing the peddaling (that amazing escape is in the next thrilling chapter)!

IMG_0030.jpg

Meat-lovers elevator; market prices prevailed in the hotel restaurant.

IMG_0028.jpg

First person to accurately name the three motleys in the foreground of this photo wins a free beer from yours truly at next year's SDCC (must be over 21 to participate).

Merryweather, Mehdy and Bedrock

Does he use "nn" in person, or does he sound totally different?

hm

Not sure what "nn" means, but the first words out of Mitch's mouth were an apology for any bad impressions or posts that may have come across as misogynistic, and that was directly to my wife.

Anyone who hangs out with him for longer than five minutes will know that he's for real when it comes to his passion for collecting. The best way that I can put this is try to think of a mature adult who still has a child-like sense of wonder about collecting comic books, ...and I mean this in an entirely complimentary fashion.

Of course that doesn't mean that I concur with his views on the future of collecting or that I know anything more about his actual collection than anyone else, but Mitch does NOT appear to be a phony or a manipulative shill as some folks have portrayed him. At least that's my impression, and this is something that can only be gleaned from a face to face meeting.

BTW, I introduced Mitch to John Verzyl. The lengthy conversation that ensued was fascinating to say the least. The MANNUP person-up book Mitch is showing off is my latest acquisition from John's heavenly collection of high-grade GA books. John will bring this grail-puppy to me after we return home from our extended journey north (Canada). :whee:

IMG_0255.jpg

John Verzyl is one of the most impressive persons I have ever met in my life time. I wish we could have taped that conversation, the man is the MAN of comics. I could tell right away that he is a genius in no matter what task he puts his mind to. You cannot label john like a comic book genius, its more John is a genius who collects and sells comics.

I wanted to understand the man and the human being. His early childhood stories were just flat out great. One of the of great highlights of a very unusual convention. Someday with his permission I would like to go into more detail about what we talked about.

DM...You and Your wife are BOTH true comic book collectors. Wow I wish I could find a woman that truly loves comics and art. She is the greatest jewel of this convention and as long as come home with here, you win every time. I was impressed by your dedication to the Gold and your commitment to improving your collection.

Next year, more time, we will do lunch and bring you lovely wife please.

I was referring to the Mannup, double nn's, thanks for sharing, that is great to know, and what a terrific book!

:cloud9: Thanks, Sharon. Here's Daredevil in the clutches of John's nimble Claw...

IMG_0254.jpg

... and my successful first attempt at removing a nice early Marvel Tales from the tightened jaws of a deceptively docile Gator (with the assistance of a few former Presidents)...

IMG_0269.jpg

I bought A LOT, probably more than I should have. will post some when I get home.

I was glad to meet Paratrooper for the 1st time at Dale Robert's booth! We chatted about the Timely b/w "annuals" distributed in Canada. Dr Watson is still trying to figure what the heck I collect, as I dug thru enough comic :baiting: long boxes.

I bought A LOT, probably more than I should have. will post some when I get home.

I was glad to meet Paratrooper for the 1st time at Dale Robert's booth! We chatted about the Timely b/w "annuals" distributed in Canada. Dr Watson is still trying to figure what the heck I collect, as I dug thru enough comic :baiting: long boxes.

I met Paratrooper... at Roy's booth (Vintage Comics), I think. Real nice fellow; he's checking off a list of all GA comics with troops parachuting. What a great idea for a unique run of comics. (thumbs u

Unfortunately, I didn't get as many shots of boardies as I would've liked, but I did get the occasional gem, like this one of Gator discussing the price of a book with Mr. Bedrock (off camera)...

IMG_0257.jpg

I met Paratrooper... at Roy's booth (Vintage Comics), I think. Real nice fellow; he's checking off a list of all GA comics with troops parachuting. What a great idea for a unique run of comics. (thumbs u

Unfortunately, I didn't get as many shots of boardies as I would've liked, but I did get the occasional gem, like this one of Gator discussing the price of a book with Mr. Bedrock (off camera)...

IMG_0257.jpg

What's Gator looking at? Did Paratrooper skydive into the Con?