• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM. What went wrong???

29 posts in this topic

Of course, the entire line will be unified when Bendis finally caves and decides that if Stan Lee could write the entire line in a month, so can he.

You know what, you may be joking here but I wouldn't be at all surprised. 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

Of course, the entire line will be unified when Bendis finally caves and decides that if Stan Lee could write the entire line in a month, so can he.

You know what, you may be joking here but I wouldn't be at all surprised. 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

27_laughing.gif Wait... aren't we already there? 893whatthe.gif

I doubt he would think such a thing since Lee didn't spend nearly as much time on writing as Bendis does. All Lee did was -script out a story idea for a few minutes or hours, let the artist develop it, and then try to write dialogue that fit the pictures. I like Lee and most of the Marvel artists from back then, but this isn't a great way to write. It leads to a mixed vision where the artist often had to "make do" with what Stan wanted, and then Stan often had to "make do" with what the artist wanted when he's going back to fill in the words. If one person controlled the story and plots, nobody has to "make do" by compromising their creative vision with other clashing visions.

Don't the writers these days write complete scripts (more like screenplays), including "stage direction" for the artist to follow? I find this to be a far superior approach to writing since it allows a single person to have a unified, singular vision, much like the auteur theory of filmmaking gives directors complete, singular creative control.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt he would think such a thing since Lee didn't spend nearly as much time on writing as Bendis does. All Lee did was -script out a story idea for a few minutes or hours, let the artist develop it, and then try to write dialogue that fit the pictures. I like Lee and most of the Marvel artists from back then, but this isn't a great way to write. It leads to a mixed vision where the artist often had to "make do" with what Stan wanted, and then Stan often had to "make do" with what the artist wanted when he's going back to fill in the words. If one person controlled the story and plots, nobody has to "make do" by compromising their creative vision with other clashing visions.

Don't the writers these days write complete scripts (more like screenplays), including "stage direction" for the artist to follow? I find this to be a far superior approach to writing since it allows a single person to have a unified, singular vision, much like the auteur theory of filmmaking gives directors complete, singular creative control.

Many of them do write complete scripts, Bendis does.

That was a rather lengthy response to my rather sarcastic comment.

However, I don't feel that I'm too far off the mark... Bendis is already a "guiding force" behind the direction of the Ultimate line, and he is set to take on a similar role with the Avengers line of titles, and this is in addition to his regular duties on Daredevil and the Pulse (and Secret War). Not to mention Powers.

What we have is a scenario where Bendis is writing 5 monthlies:

Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimate X-Men for now...To be replaced by the Avengers

Daredevil

The Pulse

Powers

1 mini:

Secret War

Plus he's a creative advisor on:

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor

Captain America and the Falcon

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Ultimate X-Men

Spectacular Spider-Man (ties in to Avengers Dissembled)

So what's left? The main x-books, ASM and the Hulk, plus some new series and various mini-series.

With Powers moving into the Marvel fold ALL of Bendis' eggs are in the Marvel basket, and he's proven to be their most reliable and consistantly selling writer. If he says he can do it Marvel will keep giving him more work...

Kev