• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM. What went wrong???

29 posts in this topic

No offense considering your icon and all, but it was the clone saga that first ruined Amazing Spiderman. Then restarting the title at #1 and then the SPIDERMAN: CHAPTER ONE origin by John Bryne (is that still considered continuty?...I really hope not)

Currently it isn't a top book because the current writter for the title isn't doing his best work. There hardly is any classic super villains anymore that haven't been revamped and John Romita Jr's art has been lacking lately.

Frankly it saddens me Ultimate Spiderman and even Mark Millers spiderman is a better read lately than Amazing.....I want the Amazing of my childhood back.

Well when MJS took over the book with issue #30, I thought it was an excellent read and it continued being great for about a year or so, but at around issues #45-#48 things declined and I got the feeling, everything was going in circles and nothing really happened...I held on (in frustration) for another year until issue #59 was released (the big 500th issue) and then decided to stop altogether...

I'm close in having a full run of ASM from #50 to #500 but the collection will end at #500....no more new ASM for me sign-rantpost.gif

Moderns are usually discussed in the modern forum.

ASM is still a strong seller --- take a look at the Diamond top 100 sales and you will see that it still outsells most of DC's line.

Problem is that JMS & his assistant Fiona Avery decided that what was lacking in Spider-Man comics was character over action. An understandable approach considering that when one goes back to read the Lee/Ditko/Romita/Kane issues of ASM it is the sequences in every issue with Peter Parker interacting with Aunt May, Mary Jane, Gwen Stacey, George Stacey, JJJ and the rest of the supporting cast that are as or MORE memorable than the action stuff.

So we get a much more talky, character driven Spider-Man - they have been trying very hard to flesh out Peter Parker - what kind of accent would he have, being a New Yorker how would he react to California, or since he's from Queens how does he compare to people from other boroughs, or how does he react to NYC issues such as poverty, drugs, 9-11, etc.

Again, not badly written, but when you sacrifice action for character building then the action lovers are going to get upset. I don't find the JMS/Avery stories offensive as others do... they are just overwhelmingly DULL and a very strong contrast to the offensively (my opinion) cartoony, manga-style garbage being put out in Spectacular... hard to believe that under all of that might be a servicable Paul Jenkins story.

Romita Jr.'s art, on the other hand, while fleetingly great, pales to his previous efforts because Marvel wanted him to draw something like 40 issues of ASM a month, and when you have to pencil that many pages a month something has to suffer... and JRJr's art looks rushed and poorly conceived. Another reason why it comes across as dull. When John is rushed, his backgrounds become simpler and sometimes completely disappear.

We'll see if the new penciller, Mike Deodato will make a difference. From what I've heard JMS/Avery won't be around for too much longer, but I think you'll see a sudden shift and a lot of bandwagon jumpers will hop back on for Deodato's issues.

K

The Doc Ock story they (JMS & JRJr) did last year still kicks the *** out of all of these endless Doc Ock minis that Marvel has been pushing lately.

For ages Amazing Spider-Man was marvels flagship title. For a while now its been barely worth reading. What went wrong and how can Marvel return ASM to a position worthy of the title Amazing Spider-Man???

Bring back Ditko. 893whatthe.gif

Well when MJS took over the book with issue #30, I thought it was an excellent read and it continued being great for about a year or so, but at around issues #45-#48 things declined and I got the feeling, everything was going in circles and nothing really happened...I held on (in frustration) for another year until issue #59 was released (the big 500th issue) and then decided to stop altogether...

That is my experience word for word. I'd just have to add that I sold my #30 to 500.

That is my experience word for word. I'd just have to add that I sold my #30 to 500.

Make me #3. I stopped USM about 5 months ago and ASM 2 months ago.

I've yet to ebay them, but I'm thinking about it.

BTW, what's the best way to sell moderns on ebay... by story arc lot?

basically asm is sucking donkey balls right now. I have stopped reading it. Makes you think, hmmm, marvel kills captain marvel yet keeps asm without a major story arc revamp. Where are the priorities? X-statix is starting to look better and better though after about a 1 year slump

No offense considering your icon and all, but it was the clone saga that first ruined Amazing Spiderman. Then restarting the title at #1 and then the SPIDERMAN: CHAPTER ONE origin by John Bryne (is that still considered continuty?...I really hope not)

Currently it isn't a top book because the current writter for the title isn't doing his best work. There hardly is any classic super villains anymore that haven't been revamped and John Romita Jr's art has been lacking lately.

Frankly it saddens me Ultimate Spiderman and even Mark Millers spiderman is a better read lately than Amazing.....I want the Amazing of my childhood back.

Why did they bring Norm back? Why? 893frustrated.gif

Yep....that was the final straw when they brought Norman Back......

That's what ruined it most of all. I had forgotten all about that. Also I didn't like how they killed Aunt may and then wrote it off as it having been an actress and not the real May.

I also hated how they killed Doc Ock he had just discovered Spiderman's identity and it was getting kind of interesting.....then one of Spiderman's clones Kaine or whatever kills him.

I have no idea how doc ock came back from the dead but they shouldn't of made him forget Spiderman's identity when they brougt him back.

AND THEY MOST CERTAINLY SHOULD NEVER OF BROUGHT BACK NORMAN OSBORN!!!!!!

WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING when they were writing that clone saga peice of [!@#%^&^]. Remind me who master minded the clone saga and please tell me this person was fired.

Sorry, but I like the direction that ASM is going!

The true to life character development was what was missing in ASM for a long while.

Did any of you read the comic about two months ago where Spidey helps talk a pre-teen gangmember to put down his semi-automatic weapon, reject a life of crime and fall sobbing into his waiting fathers arms?!

How can you throw rocks at a book like that?!

When I finished reading that book I stood-up and applauded!

I wish more books/forms of entertainment would take a stand for helping society.

Oh well, I guess you guys wouldn't of been happy unless Pete bent the kid over his knee and

spider-belt whipped the snot out of him. 893whatthe.gif

Yep....that was the final straw when they brought Norman Back......

That's what ruined it most of all. I had forgotten all about that. Also I didn't like how they killed Aunt may and then wrote it off as it having been an actress and not the real May.

I also hated how they killed Doc Ock he had just discovered Spiderman's identity and it was getting kind of interesting.....then one of Spiderman's clones Kaine or whatever kills him.

I have no idea how doc ock came back from the dead but they shouldn't of made him forget Spiderman's identity when they brougt him back.

AND THEY MOST CERTAINLY SHOULD NEVER OF BROUGHT BACK NORMAN OSBORN!!!!!!

WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING when they were writing that clone saga peice of [!@#%^&^]. Remind me who master minded the clone saga and please tell me this person was fired.

I am finding the biggest problem with Marvel is lack of continuity and also the flow is missing where issues or events which happen in one comic, used to have references in other comics. Now, considering they have several FF's, Spider-man comics and who knows how many different X-Men comics.....for the most part the issues stand alone without any cohesion. There no longer is a Marvel Universe. Just a buncha' comic books. frown.gif

There no longer is a Marvel Universe. Just a buncha' comic books.

Very true.

Buckley is supposedly pushing more more continuity between books again, and it looks like Quesada is listening, even though he's been a big advocate of ignoring continuity.

The "Avengers Dissembled" event is supposed to do this for the Avengers, just as the "Reloaded" event will hopefully tie the X-Men closer together. I'm not convinced yet. Spider-Man is just chaos.

Of course, the entire line will be unified when Bendis finally caves and decides that if Stan Lee could write the entire line in a month, so can he.

K