• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon moving to Anaheim in 2012?

50 posts in this topic

So so happy! Already made hotel reservations while I scout for better deals (and maybe the con rate will be good) in the meantime... :)

Joel

What economical and central :hi: hotel would you recommend? I plan to also get a rental car and drive to Hollywood, Huntington (Shakespearean) Library, J. Paul Getty Museum, planetarium.

Love the Huntington Library & Gardens! And the Getty is amazing.

Wish it was a different weekend, though. My wife is in an Irish band, and St. Patty's weekend is crazy busy for them, so I'm usually watching our son every waking moment.

nm,

Which airport is closest to Anaheim, CA?

I know there are more discount flights to LAX but we plan to get a rental car and then drive to WonderCon then to the Getty Museum. Since traffic is always terrible in L.A. even on a Sunday, perhaps better to get a rental car from Orange County area John Wayne airport then drive to Anaheim? (shrug)

nm,

Which airport is closest to Anaheim, CA?

I know there are more discount flights to LAX but we plan to get a rental car and then drive to WonderCon then to the Getty Museum. Since traffic is always terrible in L.A. even on a Sunday, perhaps better to get a rental car from Orange County area John Wayne airport then drive to Anaheim? (shrug)

John Wayne airport would work very well. The convention center is maybe 15 minutes away on the freeway.

If you'd rather split the difference between Anaheim and LA, the Long Beach airport would also work very well. It's a small, old fashioned airport where you actually walk out onto the tarmac to the plane.

Great news for me this year as I would have had a hard time getting away to SF. Now I can easily work this into my plans at least for half a day. This is certainly one of the better shows of the year and I had to miss it last year due to a heavy work schedule which continues this coming year.

Let's hope it comes with the same feeling of a real old time comic show.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one excited about this move... :)

John Wayne (SNA), aka the Orange County airport, is 15 minutes away, as stated earlier. Long Beach is a great recommendation, too, especially if you live in a city serviced by JetBlue. While LAX has the most competition, if Orange County doesn't work, you could *almost* get away with flying into Ontario airport (ONT) which is serviced by Southwest.

In terms of economical hotels, practically every hotel chain has a presence in Anaheim, including Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Super 8, Motel 6, Ramada, Good Nite Inn, Best Western, Quality Inn, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, etc. There are lots of local, unique hotels/motels like the Candy Cane Inn, Anaheim Lodge, etc.

If you don't mind a walk, drive or shuttle ride to the con, I would try Priceline. Pick a decent star level, and I think you'll be happily surprised. If you want to be RIGHT THERE and walk a few steps from the hotel to the convention center, it's the Hilton or Marriott. But there's also better hotels like Hyatt, Crowne Plaza, and other bigger chain hotels nearby as well. Convention Center has its' own $12/day parking as well if you need it. (The cheaper motels will offer free parking for your car, and some of them will shuttle you to the convention center for free as well)

As far as rental cars go, if you're flying into LAX, just get the rental car from LAX. Paying for a shuttle transfer from LAX to John Wayne just to get a car there isn't going to work. Yes, the traffic can be bad, but this way, you'll have the car the whole time, and can return the car to the airport right before your flight. Plus, if someone comes with you, you can use the carpool lanes to get to Anaheim a little quicker. :)

Most of the motels in Anaheim are ok, I've stayed in the Motel 6, Econolodge and Days Inn before. Mostly, I stay in the Hyatt OC when I was in the area, since they took such good care of me, and thanks to CGC, I stayed in the Hilton last year for Wizard Anaheim when I was their CAW.

As for your side trips, do your research. The Huntington library is only open a few hours each week. Since you've got a rental car, order your parking pass for the Getty Museum in advance since they have a small garage. For Hollywood, I would recommend using the Hollywood and Highland complex as your "base of operations." Park there, get the parking ticket validated, Mann's Chinese is next door, and most other Hollywood attractions are within walking distance. (Very little parking in Hollywood otherwise) Sadly, I haven't been to the planetarium, so I have no advice there...

Geez, I should be a travel agent... :)

Joel

Party at my place :whee:
I'll bring comics and beer.

The planetarium is nice. If you have kids, or, you like dinosaurs, there is a new exhibit at the LA Natural History Museum. It is well done.

I'll even buy jelly donuts for all the Canadians that are going. (thumbs u

Party at my place :whee:
I'll bring comics and beer.

The planetarium is nice. If you have kids, or, you like dinosaurs, there is a new exhibit at the LA Natural History Museum. It is well done.

I'll even buy jelly donuts for all the Canadians that are going. (thumbs u

I'll chip in! I'm sad I won't be able to visit Frisco but happy I can stay in my own bed

Booo. :( While I understand the move, it probably means I won't be able to go. There's something really nice about staying in your own bed.

i really don't care either way, as i posted that this years WC was prolly my last. too many damn mouth breathing nerds. :ohnoez:

When does WonderCon open up ticket registration, does it open up before the new year or afterwards? Only 4 months to go!

p.s. For those flying in, another airport alternative is Ontario Airport that's North-East of Anaheim. It's roughly the same distance from LAX (36 miles) and way better parking than LAX. If I can't use John Wayne Airport for flights, I choose Ontario over LAX any day.