• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help Finding Mandatory Reading for Golden Age Comics

57 posts in this topic

I don't have many recommendations past what's already been mentioned, but I just thought I'd throw this link out there. It's been speculated that Superman, specifically the cover to Action 1, was highly influenced by Hercules:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=12056

It's interesting reading if nothing else. Good luck! Keep us posted on what you read and discover! :D

Thanks guys! I'm jazzed to say the least. Still have the dissertation to complete, but having everything else out of the way is a major relief.

And that's a fascinating link which I hadn't seen before. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

If the Shadow is a key figure, what do you have on your reading list as far as he is concerned?

I haven't gotten there yet ;)lol Honestly, I'm just in the initial stages of putting this mammoth beast together. Fortunately, there's not much rush either (relatively speaking) as I'm planning on about two and a half years before finishing it all up.

What I want to do with the Shadow won't be too in depth, but I'll be looking at his origin story, definitive characteristics, and then the way he influenced Bob Kane and Bill Finger's (in particular) creation of Batman. That's really as far as I'll be taking him, but with some of the other sources I've found, his inclusion is pretty important even if it's only discussed over a few pages.

Definitely read Steranko's History of Comics. There is a chapter focusing on The Shadow and his influence on the golden age.

Yessir. Not to mention Doc Savage and the Spider. Young comic book creators grew up reading the exploits of the pulp heroes in the 30s, and many comic book influences sprung from the pulps.

Why the bump?

Forrest completed his Ph.D. Please read below, the update is in Comics General.

Congratulations on the Ph.D. Forrest. :applause:

In 2006, I embarked upon one heckuva journey. I was leaving the U.S. Army and preparing to go get my master's in English to become a teacher (with the intent to get my Ph.D. and become a college professor). During those final weeks, I had a lot of down time and started looking up comics on eBay. I bought a few from when I last read them as a kid, and the fire was rekindled. I was back into comics.

In 2007, I somehow stumbled onto this community still quite newbish about the whole world of comics and collecting. Years later, I've written hundreds of articles for both online and formal publishers about all things comics - superhero or otherwise. I also made something a name for myself here as being the "low grade collector's collector" acquiring some great key books ... in some rather... well-loved conditions. And this love of the old school supehero books never failed to diminish.

In 2010, I began my Ph.D. program and I focused specifically on conventional American literature. What I didn't expect was to discover how closely the comic book superheroes participated in the evolution of U.S. lit's concept of the hero. And thus, a dissertation was born. ( Shameless Research I Did Here On The Boards ).

Today, I earned that Ph.D. for my dissertation: "Capes and the Canon: Comic Book Superheroes and Canonical American Literature." Many thanks to those who've helped along the way. Those who've gone this road can understand why I've been largely absent the past 2+ years. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop in a bit more often now that it's done.

And keep your eyes peeled... the book's received a few offers for publication already and it should be out in the next year. :D

-Forrest

Congrats!

You might want to look for work at the U. of Oregon (my alma mater - Go DUCKS!) which has a comic and cartoon studies program. Great program that's put together some interesting conferences and art exhibits on comics. Brian Michael Bendis is teaching a class this Fall. Perhaps not coincidentally, Oregon is the only college with a Disney character (Donald) as a mascot.

Why the bump?

Forrest completed his Ph.D. Please read below, the update is in Comics General.

Congratulations on the Ph.D. Forrest. :applause:

In 2006, I embarked upon one heckuva journey. I was leaving the U.S. Army and preparing to go get my master's in English to become a teacher (with the intent to get my Ph.D. and become a college professor). During those final weeks, I had a lot of down time and started looking up comics on eBay. I bought a few from when I last read them as a kid, and the fire was rekindled. I was back into comics.

In 2007, I somehow stumbled onto this community still quite newbish about the whole world of comics and collecting. Years later, I've written hundreds of articles for both online and formal publishers about all things comics - superhero or otherwise. I also made something a name for myself here as being the "low grade collector's collector" acquiring some great key books ... in some rather... well-loved conditions. And this love of the old school supehero books never failed to diminish.

In 2010, I began my Ph.D. program and I focused specifically on conventional American literature. What I didn't expect was to discover how closely the comic book superheroes participated in the evolution of U.S. lit's concept of the hero. And thus, a dissertation was born. ( Shameless Research I Did Here On The Boards ).

Today, I earned that Ph.D. for my dissertation: "Capes and the Canon: Comic Book Superheroes and Canonical American Literature." Many thanks to those who've helped along the way. Those who've gone this road can understand why I've been largely absent the past 2+ years. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop in a bit more often now that it's done.

And keep your eyes peeled... the book's received a few offers for publication already and it should be out in the next year. :D

-Forrest

:applause:

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Might be a little late for this, but here's some excellent, albeit older, resources on Superman, Batman and WW

60 YEARS OF DC

ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME

BATMAN - THE GOLDEN AGE

BATMAN AND ME - BOB KANE

BATMAN COLLECTED

BENTON - COMIC BOOK IN AMERICA

BENTON - MASTERS OF IMAGINATION

BENTON - SUPERHERO COMICS IN THE GOLDEN AGE

BENTON - SUPERHERO COMICS IN THE SILVER AGE

CLASSIC ERA OF AMERICAN COMICS - WRIGHT

COMIC BOOK BOOK - THOMPSON AND LUPOFF

GERBER PHOTO JOURNAL GUIDE

GOLDEN AGE OF BATMAN

GOLDEN AGE OF SUPERMAN

GOULART - COMIC BOOK READER'S COMPANION

GOULART - COMICS OF THE GOLDEN AGE

GOULART - ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN COMICS

GOULART - GREAT HISTORY OF COMIC BOOKS

GOULART - HISTORY OF DC

GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES (FEIFFER)

GREAT WOMEN SUPERHEROES - TRINA ROBBINS

HISTORY OF THE COMICS VOL 1 & 2 (STERANKO)

JERRY ROBINSON BIOGRAPHY

PENGUIN BOOK OF COMICS

STANDARD CATALOG OF COMIC BOOKS - CBG

SUPERMAN - THE COMPLETE HISTORY

SUPERMAN DAILIES 1939-1942

SUPERMAN SUNDAY CLASSICS 1939-1943

SUPERMAN VS HOLLYWOOD

WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF COMICS (HORN)

COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE - MOST ISSUES

COMIC FILE MAGAZINE SPOTLIGHT ON SUPERMAN

FIRST HEROIC AGE (JERRY BAILS)

GOLDEN AGE 2 - BILJO WHITE (60'S)

HERO SPECIAL - 100 MOST IMPORTANT COMICS

OVERSTREET'S COMIC BOOK MONTHLY 1,2,3,4,5,10

OVERSTREET'S FAN 1

OVERSTREET'S GOLDEN AGE QUARTERLY 1,2,3,4,5,6

WIZARD SPECIAL - 100 MOST COLLECTIBLE COMICS

WIZARD SPECIAL - DARK BOOK (COMIC BOOK VILLAINS)

A lot of people who make comments on the boards have advanced degrees. I think there are lawyers, dentists, doctors, scientist and a few others who share the Doctor title with you. However, our degrees are all irrelevant when we are discussing comics. Postmen and epidemiologist are both equally qualified to discuss comics. Your degree is unique in that it qualifies you to discuss comics as literature with an air of authority. Congrats and please sign posts as doctor. You are the only one I know of that is qualified to do so in this forum. :golfclap:

A lot of people who make comments on the boards have advanced degrees. I think there are lawyers, dentists, doctors, scientist and a few others who share the Doctor title with you. However, our degrees are all irrelevant when we are discussing comics. Postmen and epidemiologist are both equally qualified to discuss comics. Your degree is unique in that it qualifies you to discuss comics as literature with an air of authority. Congrats and please sign posts as doctor. You are the only one I know of that is qualified to do so in this forum. :golfclap:

You're too kind :blush: And in all honesty, there are a ton of people who could blow me out of the water when it comes to knowledge of the Golden Age and comics in general. Of that I'm quite certain!