• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you leave a neutral for overcharging on shipping?

65 posts in this topic

If I pay $15 for shipping, I expect that the ACTUAL cost for him to ship would be at least close to that amount, not less than half of it.

I just don't think that's a reasonable expectation. You honestly feel that packaging, handling, time, and similar burdens do not factor into the ACTUAL cost of shipping? Those are all real costs to me. The fee to the carrier is just one part of the the total shipping cost.

Yes I think that is a reasonable expectation. Your time spent is a cost of doing business. I charge $11 to ship a slab, packed in bubblewrap and peanuts. The ACTUAL cost of the shipping charge and materials is over $11, I end up eating money on every package. There is zero consideration given for my "time and handling". For the most part, this is the norm for most sellers I do business with. (shrug)

If I pay $15 for shipping, I expect that the ACTUAL cost for him to ship would be at least close to that amount, not less than half of it.

I just don't think that's a reasonable expectation. You honestly feel that packaging, handling, time, and similar burdens do not factor into the ACTUAL cost of shipping? Those are all real costs to me. The fee to the carrier is just one part of the the total shipping cost.

Yes I think that is a reasonable expectation. Your time spent is a cost of doing business. I charge $11 to ship a slab, packed in bubblewrap and peanuts. The ACTUAL cost of the shipping charge and materials is over $11, I end up eating money on every package. There is zero consideration given for my "time and handling". For the most part, this is the norm for most sellers I do business with. (shrug)

It's commendable for you and other sellers to do that. Heck, I've even had to cough up extra for shipping occasionally myself. But I don't think you should hold every seller to such high standards. They aren't obligated to be "eating money on every package." And some might even want to be compensated for the handling expense.

Let's pretend this transaction was a buy-it-now. Would you prefer that the seller raise the BIN price by $10 and have $5 shipping? The money all comes from the same pocket.

I don't understand this question at all. He did not overcharge you for shipping because you agreed to pay that much for him to get the package to you.

There's all sorts of reasons why the seller might charge more than the price paid to the post office/carrier. Maybe the seller lives 20 miles from the nearest post office? Maybe he uses top notch packing materials (although not the case here)? Maybe he's physically disabled and it takes him an hour to package your item? The point is the circumstances shouldn't really matter.

You were willing to pay that much to receive the item. You received the item. The seller did nothing inappropriate or shady.

This is also why I leave the shipping cost off packages. :whistle:

None of which are my problem. If I pay $15 for shipping, I expect that the ACTUAL cost for him to ship would be at least close to that amount, not less than half of it. Again, it is not the cost of $15 that bothers me. If he had used FedEx, or insured the package or used premium shipping materials or whatever so that his cost would be at least close to $15, I would have no problem. It's the fact that his cost was literally less than $7 inclusive of shipping materials. Am I crazy for expecting the shipping charge to be close to what it costs to actually ship the item? It is called a SHIPPING charge after all (shrug)

It is your problem as you're the one complaining. Not all expenses are evidenced by the amount of postage on the label. If you feel that strongly about it, email him. If the explanation is not to your satisfaction, then leave him a neutral and move on.

Succinct and to the point as always Doc. However, my intention was not to complain but rather to get opinions on whether or not leaving a neutral was too harsh or not. That has been accomplished. When I see responses that question why I would even ask the question to begin with, implying that I'm being unreasonable to the point of stupidity, I feel I should defend my initial question. But clearly that is an exercise in futility here which I should know by now given how long I've been here.

Complaining mightn't have been the best choice of words, I'm still being medicated as California made me sick, but I don't believe I have ever seen a post from you that I would classify as being unreasonable to the point of stupidity.

I think you asked the question as you were ambivalent to the best course of action and the answer there is always to start with a little communication.

The guy should get positive feedback because you knew what the shipping cost was going to be before your bought and you shouldn't ding him for it. If you had a problem with shipping then you should not have bought it. Ebay fees are charged for both the sale and shipping costs so this guy is not getting ahead in any way so I just look at higher shipping fees as a higher auction starting price. The only time I would leave negative feedback for shipping was if they changed the shipping to a slower shipping method than advertised.

Need opinions on this. Ebay auction, $15 shipping charge but when I got the package I see that he only paid $6.50. My first instinct was to leave a neutral. Too harsh? Clear case of shipping profiteering.

Yes, I knew the shipping charge would be $15 before I bid. I don't have a problem with the $15 charge if it actually cost him close to $15 to ship it. It didn't, it cost him less than half of that.

Did he charge you $15 or $6.50 through eBay's invoice system?

These new eBay fees are going to create all kinds of new angles for people to try and recoup their money.

I'd email him first and then leave feedback according to his reply.

I'd be ok with up to a few-$5 overcharging if there was some merit such as good packaging materials, etc. but $10 is a lot of dough.

$15 on the invoice. Email him for what reason? He knew what he was charging for shipping and how much it would cost him.

I'd email him and explain the situation, and ask for at least a partial refund on the shipping. If he says no, then leave neutral or negative feeback.

As far as him "knowing" what it costs to ship something, that may not be the case. I've sold several items on Ebay thinking it would cost $12 to ship them and they end up costing $7 to ship. I've also had the opposite happen where I ask for $7 shipping and it ends up costing $12.

A neutral is far too harsh.

Additionally a 1 or 2 on DSRs is also far too harsh, as it can cost the seller top rated seller status and the discounts that go with it.

The seller performed exactly as promised.

The postage cost should have no bearing on your feedback.

Need opinions on this. Ebay auction, $15 shipping charge but when I got the package I see that he only paid $6.50. My first instinct was to leave a neutral. Too harsh? Clear case of shipping profiteering.

Why don't you politely email the seller and then come back here and tell us what he says.

Do people always know exactly what the cost will be for shipping and materials? Boxes alone are expensive and only people who ship regularly can accurately predict what the price will be for shipping, materials and insurance.

The bottom line is you can see before you bid or BIN what that person is charging for shipping, and you can base your decision on that. That's why I never understood even having a star rating for shipping charges.

The guy should get positive feedback because you knew what the shipping cost was going to be before your bought and you shouldn't ding him for it. If you had a problem with shipping then you should not have bought it. Ebay fees are charged for both the sale and shipping costs so this guy is not getting ahead in any way so I just look at higher shipping fees as a higher auction starting price. The only time I would leave negative feedback for shipping was if they changed the shipping to a slower shipping method than advertised.

(thumbs u

I never understood the whining about shipping costs vs. charges when you know going in what they will be. It's hard to gauge sometimes. I've found that a comic in a priority box with cardboard and bubble wrap shipped coast to coast is sometimes right on the edge in terms of weight, where the price of shipping can nearly double from one box to another. I've taken a hit on shipping charges enough, that if I come out ahead by a few dollars now and then I don't feel guilty.

There have been a few times when I was shipping multiple LPs overseas and I overestimated the shipping charges by 10-15 dollars, that I refunded the difference to the buyer. I'd rather do that than underestimate the charges and eat the difference.

Ebay's policy has changed recently, so final value fees are now applied to seller shipping charges as well. So, they are taking a percentage of it. That's no reason to overcharge, they changed the policy to try and prevent sellers from the shipping fiasco - people with a lot for .99 cents, but then shipping is $30... lol. DB's.

In any case, for me it's about how much of an overcharge. I expect to pay within a few dollars, and can certainly understand that shipping supplies are very expensive, above and beyond the actual USPS cost. But, blatant overcharging I won't tolerate. As others have mentioned, contact the seller in inform him of the overcharge, and ask for the partial refund. AS a seller, I know that sometimes you calculate shipping one way, but then it ocassionally turns out to be less. I usually just refund any overpayment that's more than a couple bucks, without the buyer even asking. It's good business.

Okay... five pages..and the guy still can't make an adult decission... hm hm

Well we can't all be as adult as you, throwing out snide remarks when we don't know what we're talking about hm hm Here's a hint... decision was made on page 1 pretty much after Roy's post. I can't help the fact that everyone else feels the need to throw in their 2 cents worth.

Ebay's policy has changed recently, so final value fees are now applied to seller shipping charges as well. So, they are taking a percentage of it. That's no reason to overcharge, they changed the policy to try and prevent sellers from the shipping fiasco - people with a lot for .99 cents, but then shipping is $30... lol. DB's.

I never understood why this would prevent a large shipping fee. Basically if this guy charges $30 for shipping they still only pay about a 10% FVF on shipping and pocket a ton of money. I have tended to raise my shipping fees enough to compensate for the fee, so eBay's strategy to allegedly drive shipping prices down has had the opposite effect on my rates. I can't afford to lose that kind of money on shipping. Making something cost more doesn't make it cheaper.

Well we can't all be as adult as you, throwing out snide remarks when we don't know what we're talking about hm hm Here's a hint... decision was made on page 1 pretty much after Roy's post. I can't help the fact that everyone else feels the need to throw in their 2 cents worth.

...and I get singled out as the drama queen on here.

lol

Chris, you're top notch in my books.

(thumbs u

lol

(thumbs u

:foryou:

BTW, did you ever get those Gil Kane Spidey's back from CGC?

lol

(thumbs u

:foryou:

BTW, did you ever get those Gil Kane Spidey's back from CGC?

I know a few of them were really tough in 9.8 and they sold quickly in those grades privately but I think I have some in the 9.2-9.4 range.

Let me look and I'll drop you a PM.

I also have a bunch of books getting graded on site in Chicago.

Once the Want List feature is working on my website (should be a week or so), you can just plug in what you're looking for and get notified via email.

(thumbs u