• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone explain to me why...

22 posts in this topic

Okay, I guess you can say that when it comes to comics, I am still learning. I have a fairly large size collection of high grade CGC comic books, but that doesn't make me an expert, as any 'insufficiently_thoughtful_person' with a 'fat' checkbook can have what I have. That being said, I really need help understanding someting. I recently won some items in the past few Comic Link auctions, but the most recent auction really blew me away. I don't understand why some of the high prices were being paid for '#1 Registry Set' books! Some of these books could have been bought for a lot cheaper somewhere else, yet most of these books sold for a major premium. Can someone explain why? Maybe I just don't know what '#1 Registry Set' truly means. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

'mint'

It depends on what books they were selling. If the books were upgradedable by pressing or maybe even pedigree books, then they could possibly bring a premium at auction. I seriously doubt they brought more because they were listed as #1 Registry Set books, unless the owner was a celebrity or a renowned collector. At least I hope someone wasn't that stupid.

At least I hope someone wasn't that stupid.

Really? I know that you know people are that stupid.

Or "stupider". :insane:

I even know this one guy who drove off from a gas station with the gas nozzle still in his gas tank. What a maroon, eh?

I even know this one guy who drove off from a gas station with the gas nozzle still in his gas tank. What a maroon, eh?

Guilty as charged. But, if you are referring to me, I don't remember that incident. But, I have done it. :blush:

I'm guessing it's some kind of pedigree as well. I'm sure you know this, but sometimes the CGC labels even say what their "pedigree" is.

#1 Registry Set is not a pedigree designation. A #1 Registry Set may include books from various CGC recognized pedigreed collections, but other than that it is a made up designation by ComicLink in an effort to secure more bids by inflating the importance of books brought to auction, i.e., a sales pitch.

Guilty as charged. But, if you are referring to me, I don't remember that incident. But, I have done it. :blush:

I was speaking of myself. :baiting:

It's pretty simple. The books weren't upgradeable or Peds. A lot of them were the highest on the census. Nsome people want the #1 registry set and tomdo that, you have to have top census books. Get 2 people that want to do that and prices can go thru the roof. I don't know a hell of a lot of people here on the boards and I personally know for a fact of two different members who wanted these books for their Marvel BA registry.

Arrrgh!!!

You tricked me with a ruse so hackneyed it would make Stan Lee blush.

It's pretty simple. The books weren't upgradeable or Peds. A lot of them were the highest on the census. Nsome people want the #1 registry set and tomdo that, you have to have top census books. Get 2 people that want to do that and prices can go thru the roof. I don't know a hell of a lot of people here on the boards and I personally know for a fact of two different members who wanted these books for their Marvel BA registry.

Hate to be the first one to put it out there, but it could also be a case where it's one person that wants it and another that wants to shill it. (shrug)

Arrrgh!!!

To make matters worse, it was on the way back from DC and Allan & Arex were with me.

Arrrgh!!!

To make matters worse, it was on the way back from DC and Allan & Arex were with me.

So, it was Arex's fault. I should've known.

But we'll blame it on Allan (the foreigner). :gossip:

there was some discussion of seemingly wacky prices paid for bronze age marvel #1's in the most recent auction- not sure anyone had an explanation tho.

Just books coming to market that haven't been there in a while and a lot of sharks circling usually helps the frenzy.

(thumbs u

Hate to be the first one to put it out there, but it could also be a case where it's one person that wants it and another that wants to shill it. (shrug)

Thats certainly possible but in this case, i highly doubt it. A lot of those books were not only top census but books that NEVER come up in that grade for sale. A lot of people have seen my Marvel BA 1st issues thread and know that i have been buying a bunch of them lately. I had more than a few PM conversations with people about these books and like i said, i know for a fact that there were some bigtime heavy hitters going after most of these books. Some wanted them for their registry set to try and get the #1 set, some wanted them because they are never available in this grade and others just wanted them or a combination of those reasons.

I really dont think there was any shill bidding on those books. Even though they werent "hot" or "key" books, they are still 1st issues and most of them are practically impossible to find in the grade the Clink auction had them in.

There were some Western issues in that set that were solo books in 9.8, I rarely see them above fine condition. The chance to buy them may not come around any time soon, or ever.

Correct. I think this covers several books from that collections, and it's the reason some went for so much.