• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How will a hole punched in the back cover affect its grade?

18 posts in this topic

I have a convention comic that was meant to be included in an "exclusive convention package" at the door. There were only 100 of these "packets" but they printed 110 comics, 10 extra, in case one of the comics became damaged, lost, etc.

The 10 that were remaining that were not placed in these packets had a hole punched in the back cover to distinguish them over the 100 that were placed in the packets...

I have one of these 10 comics and it's in great shape (9.6/9.8), anyone have any idea how CGC will grade this book? Will it get a green label since it has been purposely marked?

Thanks o'knowledgable ones!

Well I guess that's not too bad - I'd had to see it get a 7.0 or 8.0 or something...

A boardie had a pretty nice TOS 39 with a hole punch on the cover. It was probably a 9.0-9.2ish book otherwise. It was in a qualified label slab but was reslabbed and asked to be put in a blue label holder and got a 7.0.

Well I guess that's not too bad - I'd had to see it get a 7.0 or 8.0 or something...

A boardie had a pretty nice TOS 39 with a hole punch on the cover. It was probably a 9.0-9.2ish book otherwise. It was in a qualified label slab but was reslabbed and asked to be put in a blue label holder and got a 7.0.

Those holes were punched through the entire book, I believe.

On the TOS? The TOS just had a hole punched thru the front cover. I still have the pic of it in the green label holder. it was in a 8.5 green label and had a hle punch thru the cover in the upper right corner.

On the TOS? The TOS just had a hole punched thru the front cover. I still have the pic of it in the green label holder. it was in a 8.5 green label and had a hle punch thru the cover in the upper right corner.

Well then it wasn't a 9/9.2 otherwise. It was an 8.5 otherwise. :baiting:

I was thinking that it was in a 9.0 or 9.2 green label. I just remembered that it was a REALLY nice looking TOS39 except for the hole punch. I hadnt seen it for a few months and had to dig thru my pm's to find the scan.

It was one hell of a nice 8.5! Definitely in the top 5 books i regret not buying.

p.s.- since it got pressed up from a 6.5 blue to 7.0, its NOW a 9.0-9.2 green otherwise :baiting:

Sorry, different book. There was a TOS#39 GLOD 7.0 that had 3-ring binder holes cut through the entire book. Without the holes it would have been 9.4-ish.

Sorry, different book. There was a TOS#39 GLOD 7.0 that had 3-ring binder holes cut through the entire book. Without the holes it would have been 9.4-ish.

Again, if it was in a green label then it would have been a 7.0 without the holes. Or did you mean a 7.0 blue that could have been 9.4 green?

Again, if it was in a green label then it would have been a 7.0 without the holes. Or did you mean a 7.0 blue that could have been 9.4 green?

It would probably be easier if I just found a picture of the book instead of trying to explain it from my memory of a post that was here six years ago or so.

Back in the early-mid 90's, my LCS got in a run of ASM's from like 3-50. Every one of them was NICE, real nice! Absolute minimum 9.2 and a lot looked like they were 9.4 maybe even 9.6-9.8. All had been 3 hole punched though doh!

Back in the early-mid 90's, my LCS got in a run of ASM's from like 3-50. Every one of them was NICE, real nice! Absolute minimum 9.2 and a lot looked like they were 9.4 maybe even 9.6-9.8. All had been 3 hole punched though doh!

Back in the day punching 3 holes and storing your comics in a binder was quite

common. As was trimming off the spines and binding them into books.

:cry: