• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade of a VF with a crease

10 posts in this topic

I just need some help. 2 grading questions.

I got a ASM 129 a number of years ago. I bought it for like $50 .

I bought it as VF+ years ago but just recently noticed that there is a page long crease on the cover that can only be seen if you hold issue sideways or open cover and look on back .(or rub fngers on it) Looks like it was the top issue of a stack held together with a piece of rope. What does something like that do to a otherwise VF comic book. How far does a not too visible dent ina cover cause a comic to fall in grade.

Second question I havea few books that are VF but they have a touch of blue ink on the edge of the book that can only be seen when holding the book sideways . It dosent run on to the cover . Does that drop a comic from VF to VG . Just curious and I appreciate all the help.

Non-breaking color creases can kill a grade of a book-depending on length. In your case, this may be a good situation to press the book to remove the crease and improve overall grade. In regards to the ink, if it is the distributor's ink (and not Joey spilling pen ink) I don't think there's a big hit for it, but I know a lot of collectors who stay away from books with those qualities.

To general: Does CGC mark off for Distributor's ink? I thought not...

It's tough to give a grade without a scan, so there's some general .02 comments.

Yes they mark down for distributor ink.

If spidervacc wants an opinion on the grade of the book, he should post scans of the front and back cover in the grading and restoration forum.

Non-breaking color creases can kill a grade of a book-depending on length. In your case, this may be a good situation to press the book to remove the crease and improve overall grade. In regards to the ink, if it is the distributor's ink (and not Joey spilling pen ink) I don't think there's a big hit for it, but I know a lot of collectors who stay away from books with those qualities.

It's tough to give a grade without a scan, so there's some general .02 comments.

Thank you all

I was going to scan and post which I have done before but it is impossible to see the crease in book and I really didnt want a grade just wanted to know how much of a downgrade (fromVF) a full length non visible crease is in grade. and how much of a decrease in grade distributers ink is.

I do appreciate both of your help . Thanks.

If spidervacc wants an opinion on the grade of the book, he should post scans of the front and back cover in the grading and restoration forum.

I didn't think CGC downgraded for distributor's ink as described (only on the top edges of the pages) either? I imagine they do where there's significant overspray, but I don't know. Maybe someone can ask Steve about this at Wondercon! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Its just a 1 inch spray of blue ink .

I have it on about 10 comics i have including my Incredible Hulk 181.

Some issues there is a little overspray onto front cover (just a bit , not a lot) and some just on the edge of book on top . I didnt know much about what that was.

I would think the overspray would downgrade but the one that it is just on the top would be OK . But i dont know much about it and I am learning.

I was responding to sterling's comment about whether they mark down for distributor's ink at all, not spidervacc's specific question relating to his book. Without seeing a scan, I can't tell whether there's any overspray or not. Lots of people say "no overspray," and then you find out that there's a 1/4 inch of it on the back cover or whatever. CGC does mark down for this. If it's just on the edge of the comic with truly no overspray, then I don't think they mark it down very much, if at all (might take a 10.0 to a 9.8 or something).

I didn't think CGC downgraded for distributor's ink as described (only on the top edges of the pages) either? I imagine they do where there's significant overspray, but I don't know. Maybe someone can ask Steve about this at Wondercon! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif