• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's in the boxes?

88 posts in this topic

I just received 2 boxes with comics in them. My dog Jake is excited.

p1010001.jpg

I first dealt with this person back in 2002 purchasing his late 60's silver age comics. He had wanted to hold onto the better stuff for a while and told me he would contact me when he was ready to sell more.

Last year he called and I bought about 75 mid 60's comics. This is a collector that read once and then stored away the comics. Most of the comics from 1963/64 up were bought by him off the stands and had mainly small storage defects. Pre-1963 comics were purchased by him in the late 1960's wherever he could find them. He did have a habit of sometimes cutting out the letter pages the first year of his collecting. doh! But hey he was only 10 years old.

Last year some of the comics that were CGCed were Star Trek 1 9.2, Green Hornet 1 9.4, Avengers 19 9.4, Avengers 13 9.2, Spidey 47 9.6, Spidey 44 9.4 and lots more so I always get excited when he decides to send me comics.

I do not know what is in the boxes but I will find out tonight. This is the next to last batch to get from him. The next and last batch may come next year or in 10 years.

Here is a list of what he still has so I hope I at least get some #1's but whatever it is I will be thrilled. I'm not expecting high grade on the early comics.

Amazing Spider-man 1-5

Spidey Ann 1,2

Avengers 1, 2 & 4

Hulk 1-5

JIM 83-85

FF 1 (2 copies) 2-13, 15,16,33,40,41,42,43(2 copies),49,50,52,53, Annual #2, Annual #3

X-men 1-6, 12, 13, 14 (3 copies) 28

TTA 27, 35-38

A few GA comics All-American 32, WF 62 & 66, Vault of Horror 19, Flash Comics 25, 39.

Pics to follow later tonight.

Leroy

Wow, can't wait to see.

But I don't quite get the agreement. You pay up front for something without any disclosure or itemization, or he sends them to you and you respond with an offer? How exactly does the negotiation side work?

30uqtk0.png

"Says we can keep the 9.8 Hulk 1 on one provision..."

This practice is/was common with old time collectors.

My good friend had a fellow that would send a box of comics out of the blue. Pay me what you feel is right he would say. This was around 35 years ago...

David told me one box he got had nothing but number 1's.

Captain Marvel Jr 1

Samson 1

Captain America 1

USA 1

etc....

A total of 50 Golden Age #1's and every last one of them were VF or better.

My good friend had a fellow that would send a box of comics out of the blue. Pay me what you feel is right he would say. This was around 35 years ago...

Captain Marvel Jr 1

Samson 1

Captain America 1

USA 1

etc....

:o(worship):o(worship)

Captain Marvel Jr 1

Samson 1

Captain America 1

USA 1

etc....

:o The suspense is killing me.

I kick it old school like that when I sell. Only, I just send books to people I don't know and who aren't expecting them. I'm still waiting on my first payments to roll in.