• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mycomicshop.com?

47 posts in this topic

You guys might not be aware of this, but I have some great Captain Marvel comics for sale!

I like the sarcasm. I just don't know that mycomicshop.com would be the best place for you to move these books at though ...

I'm assuming this comment is because of a perception that we're primarily a venue for lower priced books? It's true that by quantity we sell far more lower priced comics, but that doesn't mean we don't also sell plenty of higher end comic

No slight intended and yes, I could be more informed as to what books you are moving and your list is helping a long way towards that. However, that list of sales is only half informative as there is no way to know how long the books have been in inventory. Liquidity is both price and speed.

The books ArmyParatrooper is trying to consign are nice and 0% commission sure is a great feature for now.

You make a good point about the trade-off between higher prices and faster sales. Most of the items in the list I posted would have been items we owned, priced at "retail", and sold as fixed price items rather than being auctioned. Some sold in a month or two, and some took more than a year to sell, with the average being about 9 months. Most consignors don't want to wait that long. Had they been priced to move more quickly, or auctioned, the average prices would have been somewhat lower. No disagreement about that.

Consignors have all the same options we do. They can price somewhat higher and wait for the right buyer, or price lower to insure a more rapid sale. Or put the book in our auction and sell it immediately. It depends on seller preference and how easy or difficult it is to obtain a comparable item from alternate sources. But I think the higher visibility we provide pays off, regardless of the pricing strategy you pursue. You'll be able to get a higher price and/or get a buyer in less time, than if your item were listed in a lower visibility location.

George at GPA was kind enough to help me out with a benchmark to evaluate how we do compared to eBay. I compared all CGC items we sold in our April and May monthly auctions (which were the first two monthly auctions we did), with identical items sold on eBay during that period (same CGC grade though couldn't compare PQ). Of 58 items where something we sold matched one or more items sold on eBay, the price reached in our auction was higher than the eBay average on 44 of 58. We were lower on 14. Some of those comparable eBay sales may have been BINs rather than auctions, but I wasn't able to easily filter to just compare against auctions.

mycomicshop, I'm going to give the CGC board just a tad more time to pick up a book or two from me. After that they're yours. I called and they said I need to submit what I'm selling for approval. Mine are all 8.0, 8.5 and one 9.0

Should I go through the normal process? I assume I need to make an account?

See the section titled "How do I start consigning comics?"

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/consignmentterms

You'll create an account, record the comics you have, and then submit items for consignment .

I've been all over your site the last couple months and didn't even see those. Very cool!

Just FYI to anyone thinking about trying mycomicshop.com - I've had nothing but a stellar experience with them so far. Very sharp operation, well run and quick to respond to inquiries. I've been busy boxing up books for weeks lol

So it seems you can trade comics in for store credit, but you can't apply those credits toward consignment or auction comics? What can you buy with the credit then?

Anything else :baiting:

So it seems you can trade comics in for store credit, but you can't apply those credits toward consignment or auction comics? What can you buy with the credit then?

The best use of trade credit is purchasing small items from the store inventory. If you're planning on buying something or multiple things that are more than $50 each cash is better for you. Most of the things on my want list are $10 - $40 so when I trade books in I take store credit since it's just more money. It should also be noted that trade credit can be used for shipping, at least it has been on my orders that were paid for completely with credit.

The best use of trade credit is purchasing small items from the store inventory. If you're planning on buying something or multiple things that are more than $50 each cash is better for you. Most of the things on my want list are $10 - $40 so when I trade books in I take store credit since it's just more money. It should also be noted that trade credit can be used for shipping, at least it has been on my orders that were paid for completely with credit.

The problem I have with going that rout is I'm at the mercy of their prices, and I'll be looking for higher end comics. I try to buy comics on the low side of fair market value.

Plus, my choices would be very limited. I'm going to be sending them my Captain Marvels for consignment.

The problem I have with going that rout is I'm at the mercy of their prices, and I'll be looking for higher end comics. I try to buy comics on the low side of fair market value.

That word doesn't mean what you think it does -- unless it's a Freudian slip. :baiting:

That word doesn't mean what you think it does -- unless it's a Freudian slip. :baiting:

15320283_400x400.png

Plus, my choices would be very limited. I'm going to be sending them my Captain Marvels for consignment.

Trade credit is not the only route.

There's outright selling them. They'll accept 9 of my 12 Captain Marvels to outright buy/trade. The stated buy value was something like $999 for the nine, which after I sell the remaining 3 leaves me little profit. Full on trade would have been nice if I had a better buy selection from non-auction/consignment comics.

So it looks like I'll just consign them.

Regarding the 9 of 12 that we'd buy--our buying

There's outright selling them. They'll accept 9 of my 12 Captain Marvels to outright buy/trade. The stated buy value was something like $999 for the nine, which after I sell the remaining 3 leaves me little profit. Full on trade would have been nice if I had a better buy selection from non-auction/consignment comics.

So it looks like I'll just consign them.

DailySuperpower's summary is accurate. If you plan to buy mostly comics priced less than $40, trade credit is beneficial. If you'll be buying more expensive comics, and/or plan to buy consignments and auction items, then you're better off doing a cash sale or consignment rather than a trade. I'd recommend consignment for all your books, unless our buying prices are attractive enough you'd rather sell them to us and get your payment immediately.

As a customer, I can say that mycomicshop is a steller operation. Accurate grading, bulletproof shipping. Highly recommended.

I totally agree.. I have been buying books from them for many years and I can't say I have never had an issue with 1. Grading 2. Packaging or 3. Service. I'm in Australia and I've tried numerous other Stores worldwide but I always come back to mycomicshop... Thanks guys!

While I haven't done any business with them yet, I will say that as an IT professional I personally think they have the best comic book based business web site I have ever seen. Their search function would make frequent visitors to Comiclink and Metropolis Comics website cry. The site is very professional!

As a customer, I can say that mycomicshop is a steller operation. Accurate grading, bulletproof shipping. Highly recommended.

I totally agree.. I have been buying books from them for many years and I can't say I have never had an issue with 1. Grading 2. Packaging or 3. Service. I'm in Australia and I've tried numerous other Stores worldwide but I always come back to mycomicshop... Thanks guys!

You guys have sold me. Ordinarily I never buy high end raw books unless it's from the forum, but I'll add mycomicshop to my list of options in that department.