• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping 43 lbs worth of Comics?

36 posts in this topic

When I went back to visit my hometown of California, my old best from from Jr. high decided he would give me his old comic book collection. Him and I collected comics together, and since mine got stolen he figured it would be giving me part of my childhood back.

So I took them to my mother's house and she's now trying to ship them to me. The box weighs 43 pounds and it will cost about $85 to ship them. None of the comics are keys, but it's still worth it for sentimental value. I was just wondering if there's a cheaper way to go. Someone told me there's a program for shipping books?

The book program is called Media Mail but comics don't qualify for it. But at that weight your not going to save anything by doing it that way. I think I did Parcel Post and it was $25 for a 60 lbs box and $26 for Media Mail so I ended up just doing it through Parcel. One thing I did figur out was going to a Post Office was the best value. I went to a parcel packing place and they were going to charge me $30 or something like that.

Hope that helps some

According to the USPS guidelines, Media Mail is not allowed...

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/173.htm#wp1060508

"4.1

Qualified Items

Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style."

However, on another forum, apparently there is a "sub-rule" that allows the mailing of paperbacks with advertising on it... and my own feelings on the subject are that the interpretation of that advertising rule would be advertising that is CURRENT (i.e., where you can actually order the products being advertised)

To me, advertising for comic books say - printed prior to 1995 - isn't really advertising anything anymore as all of the ads are pretty much for products that you cant order. (I liken it to mailing a late 1800's sears and roebuck catalogue...there comes a point when it is just reference...and media )

what they DONT want you to mail are like new magazines filled with modern ads...but I would ask the post office to fully define what can be mailed via media mail - as opposed to the website.. Better yet it would be cool if this question could be officially answered once and for all!

The book program is called Media Mail but comics don't qualify for it. But at that weight your not going to save anything by doing it that way. I think I did Parcel Post and it was $25 for a 60 lbs box and $26 for Media Mail so I ended up just doing it through Parcel. One thing I did figur out was going to a Post Office was the best value. I went to a parcel packing place and they were going to charge me $30 or something like that.

Hope that helps some

That's not correct - Parcel post & Media mail are only comparable if you're sending a package over a very short distance. This is due to Parcel post being zoned - meaning that you pay more as the distance increases.

So, a 43 lbs box going from San Francisco to Chicago is going to cost you $45.60 if you send it Parcel post, and just $18.91 if you send it Media mail.

I've sent 100s of packages with comic books Media mail over the years - including both full short & long-boxes. The trick is to include a single page of sheet music in your package - as pr. the USPS regulations, if you have one item in the box that qualifies for Media mail (which the sheet music does), any other bound printed matter (like comic books) that's also in the box now qualifies for Media mail as well.

Just use the flat rate boxes. Anything up to 70 lbs is like $10.

That's a great idea, but I just called her on that and she said the biggest they had it would take like ten of them. I'm going to check online and see what really is the biggest one. Maybe some post offices have XL flat rate boxes.

Hope that helps some

That's not correct - Parcel post & Media mail are only comparable if you're sending a package over a very short distance. This is due to Parcel post being zoned - meaning that you pay more as the distance increases.

So, a 43 lbs box going from San Francisco to Chicago is going to cost you $45.60 if you send it Parcel post, and just $18.91 if you send it Media mail.

I've sent 100s of packages with comic books Media mail over the years - including both full short & long-boxes. The trick is to include a single page of sheet music in your package - as pr. the USPS regulations, if you have one item in the box that qualifies for Media mail (which the sheet music does), any other bound printed matter (like comic books) that's also in the box now qualifies for Media mail as well.

Very helpful post! Thank you. I just called her and she was at USPS.com and looked at the rights. From San Jose to Faytetteville NC it was exactly the same dollars and cents you quoted. I guess it's a flat rate regardless of location?

I told her to find a book that unequivocally qualifies for media mail. Hopefully they haven't closed the loophole.

Hope that helps some

Very helpful post! Thank you. I just called her and she was at USPS.com and looked at the rights. From San Jose to Faytetteville NC it was exactly the same dollars and cents you quoted. I guess it's a flat rate regardless of location?

I told her to find a book that unequivocally qualifies for media mail. Hopefully they haven't closed the loophole.

Yep, that's the beauty of Media mail - the price is based solely on weight.

Hope that helps some

She couldn't find any line allowing bound books to piggyback off of a single qualifying item, though. Worst case $45.60 for Parcel post sounds much better than 85 bucks.

Hope that helps some

She couldn't find any line allowing bound books to piggyback off of a single qualifying item, though. Worst case $45.60 for Parcel post sounds much better than 85 bucks.

It's right here:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm

6.0 Enclosures and Attachments for both Media Mail and Library Mail

6.1 Loose Enclosures

In addition to the enclosures and additions listed in 4.2 for Media Mail and 5.4 for Library Mail, any printed matter that is mailable as Standard Mail may be included loose with any qualifying material mailed at the Media Mail or Library Mail prices.

I have been sending 20+ pound shortboxes of comics via Media Mail every week for the last couple months (about $11 a pop).

People will try to tell you that comics aren't eligible, but that is not my experience, nor that of my local USPS branches. I have never had a package rejected/upcharged by USPS when mailing comics via Media Mail in the ten or so years I've been selling to folks all over the U.S. Several of the boxes I've sent recently have gone to Lonestar Comics in TX, so it's not like the USPS didn't know what was in them either.

I'm sure the haters will chime in, but don't buy what they're selling. Media Mail for comics is safe, cheap and effective.

I have been sending 20+ pound shortboxes of comics via Media Mail every week for the last couple months (about $11 a pop).

People will try to tell you that comics aren't eligible, but that is not my experience, nor that of my local USPS branches. I have never had a package rejected/upcharged by USPS when mailing comics via Media Mail in the ten or so years I've been selling to folks all over the U.S. Several of the boxes I've sent recently have gone to Lonestar Comics in TX, so it's not like the USPS didn't know what was in them either.

I'm sure the haters will chime in, but don't buy what they're selling. Media Mail for comics is safe, cheap and effective.

And according to USPS rules...illegal.

..and I speed every day. :thumbsup:

Not according to my PO, they know what I'm mailing and they say it's fine. Contacted the regional office as well.

They view the ads as expired. I don't know about current ads.