• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STUPID Statement of the day....

32 posts in this topic

STUPID Statement of the day....

and the award goes to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63767&item=2239028378&rd=1

"CGGroup is quickly becoming recognized as a much stricter grader than CGC. A CGG 9.0 is probably as good as a CGC 9.2, and a CGG 9.2 a CGC 9.4! You decide! The CGGroup holder is also sturdier than the competiton's." insane.gif

I like the part "you decide"...Ummm, O.K. I decide you are stupid!

A CGG 9.2 is equal to a CGC 9.4

Well.....as soon as it gets re-submitted anyway. tongue.gif

Heh...yeah.

I like how the guy has an 8.5 but then makes that whole "equl to" statement ...is the 8.5CGG really the same as a CGC 9.0 then? Or does the grading curve start at 9.0? foreheadslap.gif

I like the part "you decide"...Ummm, O.K. I decide you are stupid!

I don't understand your outright disagreeal that CGG isn't grading more strictly than CGC is. What evidence are you basing your opinion on?

I haven't seen enough examples of CGG books to know for sure whether they are or not, but I've definitely seen some CGG 9.0 to 9.4 books that would have gotten a higher grade from CGC. The statement about their holder being sturdier is definitely accurate, although the difference in toughness between the two holders isn't enough to like one over the other to any great extent.

I've always heard that in sports cards, the grading companies that were first to market were put to rest by one of the companies whose name I forget--maybe PSA?--because that company began to grade more strictly than their predecessors. It would make sense if CGG were to start trying this tactic to gain market share on CGC since everything else they've tried to date hasn't worked out too well (besides offering lower prices).

CGGroup is quickly becoming recognized as a much stricter grader than CGC. A CGG 9.0 is probably as good as a CGC 9.2, and a CGG 9.2 a CGC 9.4! You decide! The CGGroup holder is also sturdier than the competiton's.

My question.... why is he/she talking about a 9.0 grade, when the book is graded at 8.5?? confused-smiley-013.gif Is he trying to make the point that its really an 8.7 book under CGC grading????confused.gif

A CGG 9.2 is equal to a CGC 9.4

Well.....as soon as it gets re-submitted anyway. tongue.gif

Heh...yeah.

I like how the guy has an 8.5 but then makes that whole "equl to" statement ...is the 8.5CGG really the same as a CGC 9.0 then? Or does the grading curve start at 9.0? foreheadslap.gif

Although the sample size is small....I would say that a CGG 8.5 would more than likely receive a 9.0 or higher from CGC.

I've always heard that in sports cards, the grading companies that were first to market were put to rest by one of the companies whose name I forget--maybe PSA?--because that company began to grade more strictly than their predecessors. It would make sense if CGG were to start trying this tactic to gain market share on CGC since everything else they've tried to date hasn't worked out too well (besides offering lower prices).

help me here FF; why would more stricter grading generate increased marketshare?? confused.gif

CGGroup is quickly becoming recognized as a much stricter grader than CGC. A CGG 9.0 is probably as good as a CGC 9.2, and a CGG 9.2 a CGC 9.4! You decide! The CGGroup holder is also sturdier than the competiton's.

My question.... why is he/she talking about a 9.0 grade, when the book is graded at 8.5?? confused-smiley-013.gif Is he trying to make the point that its really an 8.7 book under CGC grading????confused.gif

exactly my point. Has 8.5 ...throws out the "equal or better" statement about 9.0 - 9.2 / 9.2 - 9.4 ...which ( at least to me ) gave the impression that his book is in better shape than the grade given because it is a CGG ( vs a CGC ).

Is that the automatic standard? CGG is better / stricter grading than CGG?

help me here FF; why would more stricter grading generate increased marketshare?? confused.gif

I can't say for sure since I only collect comics and it hasn't happened in this hobby yet, but here's what some card guys have said about it.

If one company grades more strictly than the other, people begin paying higher prices for lower grades from the stricter company. This creates a buzz all on its own; the more "conservative grading" eventually inspires people to start believing one company has higher standards than the other. Top-end grades from the stricter company begin to fetch unheard-of prices as compared to the less-strict company, and over the course of years, the less-strict company begins to lose market share on top-end books because truly outstanding copies don't fetch the same high premiums that they do in the slab of the more-strict company.

Believe me, I'm not saying CGG is going to end up with more credibility than CGC after all of scandals they've gone through lately related to restoration detection and their shaky start in so many other areas, but undergrading is still a tactic they may be actively trying out.

There was a run of Fantastic Fours on ebay last month ranging from about #80 to #130. Most of the grades were in the CGG 9.0 to 9.4 range. Amazingly, some of the CGG 9.2s and 9.4s garnered higher prices than their CGC equivalents normally do! I had to wonder whether people are starting to bet that CGG is undergrading for the bidders to pay the above-market prices they did.

I submitted a CGC 9.2 to CGG and it came back 8.5. I posted scans in a thread a while back, but don't have a link.

Well with all the undergrading and PVC discussions, I decided to send a 1602 #1 to CGG for grading and personal comparison while I already have a CGC 9.8 copy. The good thing is at least CGG's turnaround time is not measured in months, so when I get it back fairly soon, I'll be able to see for myself what kind of undergrading is occurring as I'm confident that the copy I submitted to CGG is a CGC 9.8, worst case scenario, 9.6.

I am a fan of both CGG and CGC and I can understand the theories being discussed about CGG grading stricter on purpose. However, since I submit to both and have first hand experience in seeing my CGG Moderns come back lower than they would have from CGC, as an Ebay dealer I will now be sending ALL of my Moderns to CGC because I feel I have very good odds of receiving one or two grades up from if they were sent to CGG instead. So because of this, although I do like CGG as a company, they will be losing some of my business due to their very strict grading. I can certainly sell any CGC 9.2 higher than the same book at CGG 8.5. -----Sid

I am a fan of both CGG and CGC and I can understand the theories being discussed about CGG grading stricter on purpose. However, since I submit to both and have first hand experience in seeing my CGG Moderns come back lower than they would have from CGC, as an Ebay dealer I will now be sending ALL of my Moderns to CGC because I feel I have very good odds of receiving one or two grades up from if they were sent to CGG instead. So because of this, although I do like CGG as a company, they will be losing some of my business due to their very strict grading. I can certainly sell any CGC 9.2 higher than the same book at CGG 8.5. -----Sid

This is perfectly logical, and I'm sure it's the reason Burntboy asked how it makes sense for them to undergrade. Certainly, over the short term, undergrading hurts the certification company doing it because sellers don't want to use them if they're going to get lower grades back. Another short-term effect is that buyers snap up the lower grades from the stricter company and resubmit them to the established company to get higher grades.

The theory behind the undergrading is that eventually, once the market is widely aware of the stricter grading, they eventually begin to pay higher prices from the strict company. Once this becomes widespread, sellers begin to think the opposite way you currently are--they're willing to submit to the stricter company just hoping to get a high grade from them so that they can get higher prices for the above-average grade from the stricter company.

Undergrading as a business tactic for a certification company probably takes years to work out; the trick is to stay afloat until the industry becomes aware of your grading policies. In the here and now, I agree with you, submitting quality books to CGG doesn't make as much sense. It'll be interesting to see if undergrading really is their strategy...and if it is...whether or not it works out for them. confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just found this auction and they guys description is hilarious. He definitely doesn't think much of CGG's grading, but he thinks it's too high... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This comic has a dust shadow on the back cover that runs from side to side on the top, the width and is 1/2" in width so how can it be in the NM grade. I really don't think this company has a clue what they are doing. I want to get rid of it and its sold as is .

. Another short-term effect is that buyers snap up the lower grades from the stricter company and resubmit them to the established company to get higher grades.

How short term is it when the books from the established company come back restored, when they graded as unrestored from the stricter company??

I just found this auction and they guys description is hilarious. He definitely doesn't think much of CGG's grading, but he thinks it's too high... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This comic has a dust shadow on the back cover that runs from side to side on the top, the width and is 1/2" in width so how can it be in the NM grade. I really don't think this company has a clue what they are doing. I want to get rid of it and its sold as is .

has anyone ever seen an auction stating "CGC not CGG"? instead of the reverse!? confused-smiley-013.gif