• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: Sugar and Spike
4 4

557 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thank you @OtherEric it was a lucky day for me that day at the Motor City Comic Con, a totally unexpected GRAIL find !!!

going to get it graded !!!!

Make sure to read it first; or at least have a reprint.  Sugar & Spike are way too good to go unread.

It's interesting, I have a hierarchy of what I tell people my best comic is if they ask. (Never mind that the question is nonsense.)   Non comic-fans, I say Mad #1.  Or, if they're younger, sometimes New Mutants #98.  Comic fans, I say Adventure #247.  But the ones who I know are the real experts on the hobby?  I say Sugar & Spike #1; because that really is my best book to those who really get what I'm talking about. :luhv:

18 hours ago, Silver said:

I have a 92 on the way. I finally pieced together a nice run, 80-98 complete! 

IMG_0607.JPG

Very nice, i like the way the wave is drawn that is about to swallow up Spike !

Your last one needed for the 80-98 run !

that is great  @Silver to finally be able fill the end part of the Sugar and Spike run... did you get it on eBay ?

Edited by 1950's war comics

45 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

A really low grade #1 sold a few days ago on eBay , presented nicely at first glance but heavily water damaged 

Sugar and Spike #1 DC 1956 Hardest DC Comic to Find

Hmm... I've never heard S&S 1 called the hardest DC comic to find.  I recall multiple sources saying it was possibly the hardest DC #1 to find; but that's not quite the same thing...

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Hmm... I've never heard S&S 1 called the hardest DC comic to find.  I recall multiple sources saying it was possibly the hardest DC #1 to find; but that's not quite the same thing...

Yeah , just a seller adding superlatives to a comic that needed no hype !!!

No doubt it is very tough. Just look at the census, only 20 graded copies, mostly low grade. Likely the hardest to find DC is something a bit more esoteric.

Look at Three Mouseketeers #1 also by Sheldon Mayer. Only three copies on the census. I think Sugar and Spike seems rare because it is considered a key and is collected by enough people to notice its scarcity. , where as many, many DC's from the time period don't have the same following:

3m1.jpg

Any ways, S&S early issues are HTF, and whether they are the rarest or not doesn't really matter to those of us who love them. 

Edited by Silver

11 minutes ago, Silver said:

No doubt it is very tough. Just look at the census, only 20 graded copies, mostly low grade. Likely the hardest to find DC is something a bit more esoteric.

Look at Three Mouseketeers #1 also by Sheldon Mayer. Only three copies on the census. I think Sugar and Spike seems rare because it is considered a key and is collected by enough people to notice its scarcity. , where as many, many DC's from the time period don't have the same following:

3m1.jpg

Any ways, S&S early issues are HTF, and whether they are the rarest or not doesn't really matter to those of us who love them. 

Trying to show off with another all Sheldon Mayer first issue on the stands the same time as the S&S #1?  Fair enough, that's another book you don't see very often.  I've only got 1 and 8 of the original run; but I have most (if not all) the early 70's run including the Super DC Giant issue.  Some very fun Mayer work in those books.

Three_Mouseketeers_01.jpg

As you all know my intention was to have high grade copies of each issue. The reality though is that it seems unlikely I would ever get a number 1 if I held out for one. This copy is very nice in that it has nice bright cover colors and great pages, good registration and overall nice eye appeal. I'm really happy to have it. 

I still feel like it's impossible to complete the run, but this last purchase did get me four issues closer.

I have two raw issues to scan and share yet, but I now stand at 60/98 issues complete! A few of these are raw and I may slab them to get in the registry.

Edited by Silver