• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Believe it or not, the Comiclink August focused auction has begun!

233 posts in this topic

oodles

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this particular unit of measure. hm

This one is popular...

RAD24BD02011527_131254.jpg

That cover is amazing

I lost count how many times this particular copy has been up for sale, seriously why wouldn't one want to hold on to it?

I don't think it is the same copy. This is the last one to sell on CLink.

RADB6075201089_85856.jpg

Based on what we saw with the CC Actions, what will this solo highest graded copy go for?

RADBFFB5201185_111849.jpg

Wow, not even two months ago my CGC 8.0 ® was the highest graded copy on both sides. Where did this beauty come from!!! :o

Yes, an absolutely gorgous copy of a tough to find Action Comics #5. :cloud9:

I was thinking the exact same thing; and out of curiosity (because I remember the rarity of Early Actions being discussed not that long ago), I went back to find Gator's "toughness to find" rankings:

Did you already rank them by the hardest to find in this thread? Which issue do you think is the toughest of the first 13 issues?
toughest is 13 followed by 12... Then 3,8,9. ... Then 7 and 10... Then 1&2... Then 11,4,5,6.

Now maybe Rick will chip in as he's far more qualified then I am to speak on this subject (he actually completed a full Action #1-13 run in the past), but I do wonder how rare these Early Actions are in general?

Meaning...Action #13 may be much tougher to find then Action #5 (for instance); but isn't a book like Action #5 incredibly tough to find in its own right, even though it was ranked as one of the easier to find out of Action #1-13? (shrug)

I'm curious. :popcorn:

absolutely 5 doesn't grow on trees and by very definition is a tough book...but compared to other action issues, it is one of the easier (relatively speaking)

also note I didn't differentiate or discount for restored/qualified/blue... just "a" copy

absolutely 5 doesn't grow on trees and by very definition is a tough book...but compared to other action issues, it is one of the easier (relatively speaking)

also note I didn't differentiate or discount for restored/qualified/blue... just "a" copy

As I took understood "toughness to find" rankings posted above, you grouped some books together as being about equally tough to find; kind of like:

1) Action #13

2) Action #12

3) Action #3, #8, and #9

4) Action #7 and #10

5) Action #1 and #2

6) Action #11, #4, #5, and #6

Because I imagine that some of them are too close to call in respects to guesstimated scarcity.

So for instance, Action #5 and Action #6 may be about equal in terms of scarcity. :juggle:

Obviously some books might be tougher to find unrestored then others (Superman #1 being an example of a "tough to find unrestored" book).

I'm more curious about "total remaining copies" all together. hm

Any guesstimated numerical figures for the list above (ex. Action #13: 100-300, etc.)?

I would imagine the action issues from the early to mid 50's are the toughest, but I doubt anyone has ever really considered 200 issue range of non key books like that...at least I haven't

I would imagine the action issues from the early to mid 50's are the toughest, but I doubt anyone has ever really considered 200 issue range of non key books like that...at least I haven't

Perhaps I mis-spoke; I'm curious to know your scarcity guesstimations for the first 13 issues of Action Comics; not which issues are the most scarce out of the entire run.

So going by your previous list:

1) Action #13

2) Action #12

3) Action #3, #8, and #9

4) Action #7 and #10

5) Action #1 and #2

How many copies would you guesstimate to still exist of each issue posted above?

Perhaps I mis-spoke; I'm curious to know your scarcity guesstimations for the first 13 issues of Action Comics; not which issues are the most scarce out of the entire run.

1) Action #13

2) Action #12

3) Action #3, #8, and #9

4) Action #7 and #10

5) Action #1 and #2

How many copies would you guesstimate to still exist of each issue posted above?

still exist?...probably hundreds of each...actively trade hands, sometimes only dozens...

Almost makes you wonder why Overstreet used to segregate this issue out and denote it as "rare" back in the 70's and 80's.

Well, it's good that he finally got around to fixing this. I guess he must have taken your advice here. (thumbs u

Almost makes you wonder why Overstreet used to segregate this issue out and denote it as "rare" back in the 70's and 80's.

Well, it's good that he finally got around to fixing this. I guess he must have taken your advice here. (thumbs u

it is as "rare" as any early action issue, but certainly was always more common than most...heck, when I first put my action 1-100 run together in early 90's, only issue I owned 2 of was 5, and I passed on multiple others (and 3, believe it or not) at the time

I don't think those books from the 50s will be tough as long as condition is not a factor. If you take condition into account, however, they certainly don't surface often in 8.0 or better and I am uncertain what the census might ultimately look like 20 years down the road.

Right now the early 50s books generally have a lower price in the Guide and usually sell for a somewhat low price even when they become available in grade. Occasionally an issue makes it to auction with surprisingly high results but not often enough to to provide confidence that census on these issues is "mature." I don't think there's strong financial motivation for people to slab their copies and I do strongly suspect that there are more nice raw copies out there.

As I took understood "toughness to find" rankings posted above, you grouped some books together as being about equally tough to find; kind of like:

1) Action #13

2) Action #12

3) Action #3, #8, and #9

4) Action #7 and #10

5) Action #1 and #2

Because I imagine that some of them are too close to call in respects to guesstimated scarcity.

So for instance, Action #5 and Action #6 may be about equal in terms of scarcity. :juggle:

Obviously some books might be tougher to find unrestored then others (Superman #1 being an example of a "tough to find unrestored" book).

I'm more curious about "total remaining copies" all together. hm

Any guesstimated numerical figures for the list above (ex. Action #13: 100-300, etc.)?

I think the list above is exactly right, but in unrestored high grade (7.0 and up) they're all pretty much equally tough. I think pretty much all of them have between 0-3 copies on the census in those grades. Action 5 is definitely one of the easiest early actions to find, but in VF or better its still a very rare book.

1) Action #13

2) Action #12

3) Action #3, #8, and #9

4) Action #7 and #10

5) Action #1 and #2

still exist?...probably hundreds of each...actively trade hands, sometimes only dozens...

I'm really curious roughly though; I know they are only guesstimates and there is no actual way of knowing but (throwing out random numbers here)...

1) Action #13..........100-150

2) Action #12..........110-160

3) Action #3, #8, and #9..........125-175

4) Action #7 and #10..........150-200

5) Action #1 and #2..........175-250

6) Action #11, #4, #5, and #6..........200-300

Your guesses would be better then mine. :popcorn:

I think the list above is exactly right, but in unrestored high grade (7.0 and up) they're all pretty much equally tough.

Someone putting together a high grade run is not going to pay attention to the overall census but about the statistics relevant to their purchasing decision.

Folks mentioned surprise at the price for the Action 19 in this auction but when is the purchaser going to see anything resembling that 9.4 Atlantic City copy? Census has one 9.4, one 9.0 and one in 7.5. The scan does not do that book justice as it gorgeous in every way and, even if there's another 9.4, if it's not a Frisco or Church it's unlikely to look anywhere near as appealing.

I think the list above is exactly right, but in unrestored high grade (7.0 and up) they're all pretty much equally tough.

Someone putting together a high grade run is not going to pay attention to the overall census but about the statistics relevant to their purchasing decision.

Folks mentioned surprise at the price for the Action 20 in this auction but when is the purchaser going to see anything resembling that 9.4 Atlantic City copy? Census has one 9.4, one 9.0 and one in 7.5. The scan does not do that book justice as it gorgeous in every way and, even if there's another 9.4, if it's not a Frisco or Church it's unlikely to look anywhere near as appealing.

I assume you're talking about the 9.4 #19 (although the 9.0 #20 is not too shabby either)...

Folks mentioned surprise at the price for the Action 20 in this auction but when is the purchaser going to see anything resembling that 9.4 Atlantic City copy? Census has one 9.4, one 9.0 and one in 7.5. The scan does not do that book justice as it gorgeous in every way and, even if there's another 9.4, if it's not a Frisco or Church it's unlikely to look anywhere near as appealing.

I assume you're talking about the 9.4 #19 (although the 9.0 #20 is not too shabby either)...

I just edited my post as I was referring to the 19.

On high grade Actions where they rank on the census (1st, 2nd, 3rd best) is probably more important than the actual grade. (Since on some of these books 7.0 is the highest graded copy)

But I'd feel more comfortable paying a crazy price for an Action 19 CGC 9.4 than I would say an Action 2 in CGC 7.0 or an Action 5 in CGC 8.5, because even though they're all highest graded the 9.4 is less likely to ever be topped.