• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Believe it or not, the Comiclink August focused auction has begun!

233 posts in this topic

On high grade Actions where they rank on the census (1st, 2nd, 3rd best) is probably more important than the actual grade. (Since on some of these books 7.0 is the highest graded copy)

But I'd feel more comfortable paying a crazy price for an Action 19 CGC 9.4 than I would say an Action 2 in CGC 7.0 or an Action 5 in CGC 8.5, because even though they're all highest graded the 9.4 is less likely to ever be topped.

Very appropriate remarks. (thumbs u

On high grade Actions where they rank on the census (1st, 2nd, 3rd best) is probably more important than the actual grade. (Since on some of these books 7.0 is the highest graded copy)

But I'd feel more comfortable paying a crazy price for an Action 19 CGC 9.4 than I would say an Action 2 in CGC 7.0 or an Action 5 in CGC 8.5, because even though they're all highest graded the 9.4 is less likely to ever be topped.

I agree. (thumbs u

Here are some CGC census figures in respects to total copies graded.

1) Action #9 (15)

2) Action #3, #8, and #13 (19)

3) Action #11 (21)

4) Action #6 and #12 (22)

5) Action #10 (23)

6) Action #4 and #5 (24)

7) Action #2 (25)

8) Action #7 (27)

9) Action #1 (50)

Keep in mind that due to the iconic covers, Action #1 and #7 might be the first to get slabbed. Action #2 for being the second appearence of Superman has a little more motivation then some of the other non-Superman covers for being slabbed; so I'm not shocked that it's the third most common of the first 13 according to the CGC Census.

The rest are on more of an even playing field; tough I suspect that Action #6 (being the first appearence of Jimmy Olsen) and Action #12 (for the first Batman ad.) may have just a little more incentive to be graded as well.

Nevertheless, there really have been exceptionally few copies of these Early Actions graded; I'm astonished (though I knew this before looking up the specifics) that there have been so few copies to have passed thru CGC's doors.

I would imagine the action issues from the early to mid 50's are the toughest, but I doubt anyone has ever really considered 200 issue range of non key books like that...at least I haven't

Perhaps I mis-spoke; I'm curious to know your scarcity guesstimations for the first 13 issues of Action Comics; not which issues are the most scarce out of the entire run.

So going by your previous list:

1) Action #13

2) Action #12

3) Action #3, #8, and #9

4) Action #7 and #10

5) Action #1 and #2

6) Action #11, #4, #5, and #6

How many copies would you guesstimate to still exist of each issue posted above?

still exist?...probably hundreds of each...actively trade hands, sometimes only dozens...

I'm really curious roughly though; I know they are only guesstimates and there is no actual way of knowing but (throwing out random numbers here)...

1) Action #13..........100-150

2) Action #12..........110-160

3) Action #3, #8, and #9..........125-175

4) Action #7 and #10..........150-200

5) Action #1 and #2..........175-250

6) Action #11, #4, #5, and #6..........200-300

Your guesses would be better then mine. :popcorn:

Lucky for me as I've got a real sharp copy of Action Comics #12, if I remember correctly. :banana:

Unlucky for me as I got this copy from Mark Wilson way back in the day, which does nothing but raises red flags, or should I say purple flags. :censored:

Mark's repuatation back then was that no matter how nice a book was, Mark could always find some way to make it just that much nicer. Of course, he always considered all of that stuff to be non-restorative at the time. Somewhat similar to Matt Nelson in today's market who can also find some non-restorative way to improve a book which passes though his hands.

As a result, I've never really paid much attention to this book and have almost forgotten that it's still sitting in my collection after all these years. I guess the only thing I've got going for me is that Mark used to pestered me constantly for 2 years afterwards about buying the book back from me. So, maybe there's just a slight miniscule chance that the book might pass the smell test in the end. :wishluck:

The one thing I saw on that list that really surprised me is that Action 6 & Action 12 have the same number of CGC graded copies. I never would have guessed that. I've always thought of Action 6 as fairly common and Action 12 as very rare.

I did notice though that just about half of the CGC graded copies on Action 12 are graded 1.5 or lower. This didn't appear to be the case with any of the other early Actions I looked at either. I wonder why this is. Maybe it has something to do with that $2500 sale for a low grade Action 12 years ago that seemed like crazy money at the time. Or maybe there's a few low grade copies that appear on the census more than once. Or maybe just completely random?

Lucky for me as I've got a real sharp copy of Action Comics #12, if I remember correctly. :banana:

Nice! Have you ever thought about getting it graded to see what it comes back as?

I've got this one which is definitely one of my favorite Actions that I've owned so far.

Actioncomics12-1.jpg

Nice! Have you ever thought about getting it graded to see what it comes back as?

I've got this one which is definitely one of my favorite Actions that I've owned so far.

Actioncomics12-1.jpg

That's a pretty nice looking copy for an Action #12. :cloud9:

As for getting my copy graded, I never really gave it any thought at all. I personally don't really care for the CGC slabs as they are big, bulky and industrial looking. I always find that books look a lot brighter sitting in a nice shiny mylar sleeve and they also take up a lot less storage space that way. I would probably also damage the book trying to free it from its slab.

As for the resto check, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore since I got it realtively cheap looking back after all these years. And as I've already said, it's sort of a forgotten book in my collection.

Actioncomics12-1.jpg

As for getting my copy graded, I never really gave it any thought at all. I personally don't really care for the CGC slabs as they are big, bulky and industrial looking. I always find that books look a lot brighter sitting in a nice shiny mylar sleeve and they also take up a lot less storage space that way. I would probably also damage the book trying to free it from its slab.

As for the resto check, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore since I got it realtively cheap looking back after all these years. And as I've already said, it's sort of a forgotten book in my collection.

Helluva book to forget about... :o

This one is popular...

RAD24BD02011527_131254.jpg

That cover is amazing

I lost count how many times this particular copy has been up for sale, seriously why wouldn't one want to hold on to it?

I don't think it is the same copy. This is the last one to sell on CLink.

RADB6075201089_85856.jpg

I actually don't recall seeing the current Clink offering up for sale before. I was rather curious as to how it presented being that there were three 9.4's out there and I'd only seen 2 of them. Now that I've seen all 3 I think it safe to say the current Clink book is the 3rd best copy.

I have always found the extremes of popular culture to be quite revealing. In that vein, I have an eye on three of the wilder “lady in distress” covers of the Golden Age. I find each of these covers rather special, beyond their "menaced woman" theme.

RADD499B201171_174535.jpg

Wertham could probably write a chapter about the symbolism of the lizard's tongue placement on this Dagar cover, which might account for the shocked look on the lady's face.

RAD8452C201171_174318.jpg

The attention to detail on Jungle 54 is remarkable. For example, the sacrificial altar to which Ann is bound is topped with dried blood, and the crocodile motif is not only apparent in the colorful totem, but also as decoration on the sacrificial block. Further, the fine line anatomical detail is superb, and the evil priestess even appears to have custom-ordered her metal bra.

RAD016BD201171_174224.jpg

The Jungle 74 is also quite remarkable. Relatively few graphically detailed images of someone dying appeared on Golden Age comics, and beyond that, Ann is bound and about to fall into the open jaws of four hungry crocs. Like #54, the fine line anatomical detail is outstanding, and the frantic sense of impending doom is powerful..

oodles

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this particular unit of measure. hm

to give you context, imagine "you have oodles of books we would all die to have."

better?

oodles

to give you context, imagine "you have oodles of books we would all die to have."

better?

That's a very small number, then. :shy:

Actioncomics12-1.jpg

Helluva book to forget about... :o

If I had a copy, any copy, it would be one of the prizes of my collection. I love that cover.

oodles

better?

You have several oodles worth dying over.

oodles

better?

You have several oodles worth dying over.

Alan's collection is legendary, but we need a different unit of measure! Not because I want to sound liker a pompous , but things I can think of that are literally worth dying for do not include the comics we all love - and we all know that, right?

How about, comics we would sell our children for?

No?

I have always found the extremes of popular culture to be quite revealing. In that vein, I have an eye on three of the wilder “lady in distress” covers of the Golden Age. I find each of these covers rather special, beyond their "menaced woman" theme.

RADD499B201171_174535.jpg

Wertham could probably write a chapter about the symbolism of the lizard's tongue placement on this Dagar cover, which might account for the shocked look on the lady's face.

RAD8452C201171_174318.jpg

The attention to detail on Jungle 54 is remarkable. For example, the sacrificial altar to which Ann is bound is topped with dried blood, and the crocodile motif is not only apparent in the colorful totem, but also as decoration on the sacrificial block. Further, the fine line anatomical detail is superb, and the evil priestess even appears to have custom-ordered her metal bra.

RAD016BD201171_174224.jpg

The Jungle 74 is also quite remarkable. Relatively few graphically detailed images of someone dying appeared on Golden Age comics, and beyond that, Ann is bound and about to fall into the open jaws of four hungry crocs. Like #54, the fine line anatomical detail is outstanding, and the frantic sense of impending doom is powerful..

Those are great! You might like to post them and hopefully other beautiful copies in the threads devoted to Fiction House and Fox Comics!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777711&fpart=251

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1242045&fpart=162

Here is another book I find interesting. For the first seven Not Brand Echhs, GPA only lists three CGC 9.8 sales ever. All are for issue #1 with its “white background cover” (at $1302., $2550., and $2693.)

The NBE #7 in the current CL sale, at CGC 9.8, is a top CGC graded example of a 1968 “black background cover.” It is a Marvel, of course, with Jack Kirby art. The contents include superhero origin parodies. Additionally, fans of the early 1960’s DC Super-Pets should particularly enjoy the delightful caped creatures surrounding Supes on the bottom of the cover. Especially the turtle and the Snow White-ish bluebird.

RAD7BEF1201171_174022.jpg

These big auctions are ending in rapid succession. First CC, then Heritage, now CL. At first I didn't think there was much for me in this auction, but I went through it again last night, and found a few cool books to bid on.

This one is popular...

RAD24BD02011527_131254.jpg

That cover is amazing

I lost count how many times this particular copy has been up for sale, seriously why wouldn't one want to hold on to it?

I don't think it is the same copy. This is the last one to sell on CLink.

RADB6075201089_85856.jpg

My old copy. What a scorcher!

:cloud9:

The only example of this rare Golden Age Superman store magazine that I can recall having seen. Interestingly, CL sold a copy of a 1940’s Archie store magazine in CGC 9.0 last May for over $800. According to the CGC label, this Superman-Tim even has the store stamp (which means the subscriber went to the retail store during the month, got his full color stamp, and put it in the magazine). All Superman-Tims appear rare, but ones with the stamp are almost never offered for sale.

RADE0363201171_173833.jpg

Here is another book I find interesting. For the first seven Not Brand Echhs, GPA only lists three CGC 9.8 sales ever. All are for issue #1 with its “white background cover” (at $1302., $2550., and $2693.)

The NBE #7 in the current CL sale, at CGC 9.8, is a top CGC graded example of a 1968 “black background cover.” It is a Marvel, of course, with Jack Kirby art. The contents include superhero origin parodies. Additionally, fans of the early 1960’s DC Super-Pets should particularly enjoy the delightful caped creatures surrounding Supes on the bottom of the cover. Especially the turtle and the Snow White-ish bluebird.

RAD7BEF1201171_174022.jpg

:gossip: post this little gem in the SA forum (thumbs u