• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am having trouble finding information about one of the most talked about...

108 posts in this topic

I don't have an OSPG from the early 1990s, but I am pretty confident there weren't dealers suggesting you should invest in modern books over Bronze, Silver, and Golden Age back issues. sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You really can't be this stupid, can you?

I don't have an OSPG from the early 1990s, but I am pretty confident there weren't dealers suggesting you should invest in modern books over Bronze, Silver, and Golden Age back issues. sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You really can't be this stupid, can you?

Is this a rhetorical question?

Come on JC. Show me the quotes to prove I am stupid.

So, just for the record, if I post such quotes, you'll admit you're stupid?

Can't you just hear the sound right now, of JC rummaging through his office, searching for an old OSPG?...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From its inception in the 30s until the mid 80s,investing in new comics was about as risk-free as you could get.Buy at 50% off,sell at either cover price or sell later for a premium over cover price.With few new titles coming out,it was fairly easy to make a good living doing this.A case or two of every X-Men and Spidey plus a couple of all the Marvel titles and you'd have a rate of return any stock would kill for.I'd set up at shows,flea markets,ect,ect with newsstand new copies of six month old 50cent cover books that had cost me a quarter and sell them for .75 to 1.00 allday long.I think the only book I took a real bath on back then was Dazzler#1.Maybe Devil Dinosaur.Blowing out your overstock at 3/$1.00 still allowed you a small profit.In fact,had I been more business astute back then,I could have sold all my .50 cent cover books three for a dollar and cleaned up with a larger volume.

Every single dealer who contributes to the OSPG is, bar none, biased against the notion of anything but perpetually-rising comic prices. It's only natural that they aren't going to predict, let alone publicize, a possible decline that could cause them real financial hardship.

So, when Harley Yee says, "2003 was a very good year for the comic book market and I expect 2004 to be even better" (page 101) he is talking strictly from a biased dealer's perspective only and not that of collectors/investors, huh?

Yep.

first time i've seen your name pop up in a while and all you have to say is yep??? grin.gif

Tryin' to cut down... on both posts and length of posts... This is not a "more is better" venue when it comes to discourse. As one illustration of that point, those who frequently just post graemlins and no words are among the most popular posters...

JC - -he has to agree to the terms, so stop rummaging till he replies!!

Hold on a minute - we now have to WAIT for stupid posters to acknowledge their stupidity? This could take longer than I thought.

It's a sad testament to these boards that we're even having this discussion with this poster. There's gotta be a more salient discussion to be found somewhere around here?!?

Let's allow this one to die a nominally dignified death, shall we?

Tryin' to cut down... on both posts and length of posts... This is not a "more is better" venue when it comes to discourse. As one illustration of that point, those who frequently just post graemlins and no words are among the most popular posters...

thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

It's a sad testament to these boards that we're even having this discussion with this poster. There's gotta be a more salient discussion to be found somewhere around here?!?

Ok, here's one - you going to Wondercon to ask the tough questions that need to be asked? confused-smiley-013.gif

If he won't, I will (admit that he's stupid, I mean).

Yup. Give me some quotes from OSPG that show dealer's market reports urging people to invest in new comics because they are a better investment than GA, SA, and BA back issues. If you can't YOU have to admit you are stupid. I will be waiting.

Don't have any of the OSPGs from back then. I left the hobby in 1993/94, just as the last Great Crash was beginning. confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

Join Jock_Strap in the search numbnuts.