• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch cover book grade question

64 posts in this topic

Well, let's say joe simon sketches come back in general 9.0... or whatever, then 9.8 would be more rare. So I could see it might go for more. Grade just to me doesnt mean anything with sketches.

For example... would you take a 2.0 sketch from Adam Hughes that was a full color painted cover?

Or a single figure 9.8 inked?

I would take the low grade painted sketch.

I think when comparing grades the assumption is all other things being equal. Same artist and art but with (hypothetical) different grades. I think they tend to matter less when you're talking about big names. When artists can command four figures for art done on a sheet of paper, the difference between a sketch cover being 9.2 or 9.8 becomes less of an issue.

Would you agree or disagree with my assessment, as someone who deals with the stuff?

Agreed.

Well, let's say joe simon sketches come back in general 9.0... or whatever, then 9.8 would be more rare. So I could see it might go for more. Grade just to me doesnt mean anything with sketches.

For example... would you take a 2.0 sketch from Adam Hughes that was a full color painted cover?

I think when comparing grades the assumption is all other things being equal. Same artist and art but with (hypothetical) different grades. I think they tend to matter less when you're talking about big names. When artists can command four figures for art done on a sheet of paper, the difference between a sketch cover being 9.2 or 9.8 becomes less of an issue.

Would you agree or disagree with my assessment, as someone who deals with the stuff?

Agreed.

Just to play devils advocate Ill disagree. Would you prefer a 9.8 Romita or an 8.5. Or a better example would be if you already owned a 9.8, would you want another 9.8 or a 9.2

Full disclosure, im drunk

paratrooper you are right. obviously getting a nice looking gene colan 9.2 sketch would be great. i would be tickled with that. but i would be that much happier if the sketch was 9.8 :sumo:

I think when given the choice, obviously people want the nice bigger grade number. I'm more thinking about market value.

It would be interesting to see sketch covers from A-list names that are of similar caliber work but different grades, and see if the market put any value on the grades. And if so how much.

USAP's last post made me think of something. How does 'grade' affect the sales of original art?

And perhaps the grade would 'inflate' the 'market' price of a sketch due to the added collector market of high grade books.

Meaning, where you might have two equal commissions. One slightly less 'grade' than another, since there is no 'grading' for commissions (in general, i know you can grade some) they would likely sell for the same amount.

Now take two equal sketches from any artist, unknown or mainstream. You then add the 'grading' of these two pieces to the mix and you add a level of collectability (this is not a word?), and therefor you now have a difference in the price and a premium on the higher grade.

USAP's last post made me think of something. How does 'grade' affect the sales of original art?

And perhaps the grade would 'inflate' the 'market' price of a sketch due to the added collector market of high grade books.

Meaning, where you might have two equal commissions. One slightly less 'grade' than another, since there is no 'grading' for commissions (in general, i know you can grade some) they would likely sell for the same amount.

Now take two equal sketches from any artist, unknown or mainstream. You then add the 'grading' of these two pieces to the mix and you add a level of collectability (this is not a word?), and therefor you now have a difference in the price and a premium on the higher grade.

I'm pretty sure the grade will matter for unknowns, C-list and B-list names. But for A-list names, especially those that are hard to find, I'm wondering if the grade matters at all.

Sorry freeform, but CGC graders don't base the grade on the sketch.

Maybe not officially, but I would not be surprised if the quality and amount of work does affect their subjectivity.

I'm telling you, it doesn't. I know one of the CGC graders. There I said it. Move on.

Agreed.

Just to play devils advocate Ill disagree. Would you prefer a 9.8 Romita or an 8.5. Or a better example would be if you already owned a 9.8, would you want another 9.8 or a 9.2

Brian I hope your not working on my 9.8 Avengers blank I sent you!! lol

Sorry freeform, but CGC graders don't base the grade on the sketch.

Maybe not officially, but I would not be surprised if the quality and amount of work does affect their subjectivity.

I'm telling you, it doesn't. I know one of the CGC graders. There I said it. Move on.

I wasn't trying to contradict you. I just know from coins that graders are human. But I concede to your expertise.

Agreed.

Thats exactly the one im working on as we speak. Blame Eton. He bought the drinks.

Ive already overworked Ares head doh!

Agreed.

Thats exactly the one im working on as we speak. Blame Eton. He bought the drinks.

Ive already overworked Ares head doh!

I wonder how much a beer stain takes off the grade. Or could we call it mix media and part of the creative process. hm