• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONAN the Barbarian 3D...

85 posts in this topic

Hey Hollywood! Yeah you!

Movie making isn't about stringing together a bunch of "cool" CGI'd actions scenes.

The first Conan with Ah-nold works for many because there is a story and character development. The acting isn't great, and it is still a good movie.

The trailers I have seen for the new Conan remind me of the Clash of the Titans remake. And we all know how that turned out.

The original Conan movie isn't true to REH, but it is a very good movie in its own right. The musical score by Basil Poledouris alone is worth the price of admission. Plus a great performance by James Earl Jones, great fight scenes, beautiful photography and art direction, etc.. I saw it the night it opened in 1982, and fell in love with it as a movie(even though I recognized its deficiencies as an adaptation).

The new film may be more faithful to Howard, but it just doesn't look like a good movie. I'll Netflix it, but I'm not gonna bother seeing it in the theater.

The original Conan movie isn't true to REH, but it is a very good movie in its own right. The musical score by Basil Poledouris alone is worth the price of admission. Plus a great performance by James Earl Jones, great fight scenes, beautiful photography and art direction, etc.. I saw it the night it opened in 1982, and fell in love with it as a movie(even though I recognized its deficiencies as an adaptation).

The new film may be more faithful to Howard, but it just doesn't look like a good movie. I'll Netflix it, but I'm not gonna bother seeing it in the theater.

The new movie isn't anymore faithful to Howard than the original, with the possible exception of Momoa's depiction of Conan.

For the original Conan stories to be properly adapted and given the treatment they deserve it would probably have to be an HBO series like Rome or GoT, imo.

That original conan soundtrack link brings me back. i stand by earlier comment, ahhnolds conan was awesome. the music was first rate, soaring, epic. the dialogue was classic, memorable, quotable, almost poetry in parts:

-He is Conan, Cimmerian. He will not cry, so I cry for him

-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the women.

- Look at the strength in your body, the desire in your heart, I gave you this! Such a waste. Contemplate this on the tree of woe. Crucify him

As for this new flic. some department laid down heavy metal soundtrack, some other outfit cgi'd the crud out of battles. i will hope for the best, but looks like the soul of the beast was left out.

The new movie isn't anymore faithful to Howard than the original, with the possible exception of Momoa's depiction of Conan.

For the original Conan stories to be properly adapted and given the treatment they deserve it would probably have to be an HBO series like Rome or GoT, imo.

Yeah, I've heard that Momoa is pretty good, even if the movie overall sucks. Maybe he'll get another chance to do the part under better circumstances.

Yeah, I've heard that Momoa is pretty good, even if the movie overall sucks. Maybe he'll get another chance to do the part under better circumstances.

That's my hope too. I've read one of the potential draft screenplays for the sequel and it's much, much better and is a pretty faithful adaptation of one of the better REH stories.

That's my hope too. I've read one of the potential draft screenplays for the sequel and it's much, much better and is a pretty faithful adaptation of one of the better REH stories.

Cool. Hope it gets made.

Well maybe it was the drinks but I didn't think it was as bad as many of the critics were saying. Not great by any means but it was fun mindless entertainment.

I need more than mindless entertainment. Especially when there is so much potential for rich story, character development and adventure. I won't bother to watch this one. What a shame.

Well maybe it was the drinks but I didn't think it was as bad as many of the critics were saying. Not great by any means but it was fun mindless entertainment.

I need more than mindless entertainment. Especially when there is so much potential for rich story, character development and adventure. I won't bother to watch this one. What a shame.

Yeah, after waiting so long for this it was was reall letdown because I know what the potential. The sad thing is Momoa, really is good as Conan. I wish he would get the chance to do a real Conan film with a decent director and a good -script (based on REH), but that will probably never happen now. :(