• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it OK to have competitions on the boards?

22 posts in this topic

I have a website...and want to have a competition to see who can write the best 500 word or so description...the entries of which will become the property of the site..and which will be used on the same website (completely self serving I know lol)

..the winner of which will be chosen by a poll on the competition thread...and who will receive a free comic worth around $50 - related to what they are writing about.

Are those sorts of shenanigans allowed here? :)

hm

Description of what? Old vacuum parts? :shrug:

How about new vacuum parts?

Vacuum parts suck.

I'll be here all week folks. Remember to tip your waitress

Wow. Let me see if I have this straight:

You're asking whether it's ok for you to use this site's resources for your own personal (and perhaps commercial) benefit, without any compensation to the Collectors Society?

And you're asking people to submit their own creations (summaries of the comics) that they have to assign fully to you to use in any way you choose.

And you're asking people to do this work essentially for the chance to win a raffle?

And, within 3 hours of your first posting for public comment, you go ahead with your plan based on a few member comments?

:eyeroll: I'm happy I'm not your lawyer.

I have a website...and want to have a competition to see who can write the best 500 word or so description...the entries of which will become the property of the site..and which will be used on the same website (completely self serving I know lol)

..the winner of which will be chosen by a poll on the competition thread...and who will receive a free comic worth around $50 - related to what they are writing about.

Are those sorts of shenanigans allowed here? :)

hm

Only if it's a Marvel Silver Age book! :baiting:

You're asking whether it's ok for you to use this site's resources for your own personal (and perhaps commercial) benefit, without any compensation to the Collectors Society?

And you're asking people to submit their own creations (summaries of the comics) that they have to assign fully to you to use in any way you choose.

And you're asking people to do this work essentially for the chance to win a raffle?

And, within 3 hours of your first posting for public comment, you go ahead with your plan based on a few member comments?

:luhv:

:gossip: I didn't want to be the one to say it.

Wow.

I've never, ever seen you get this feisty. You're the most laid back guy on this board I know.

:popcorn:

Wow.

I've never, ever seen you get this feisty. You're the most laid back guy on this board I know.

It's rare that I get worked up, but this one really rubs me the wrong way. No respect whatsoever for the hosts of this message board, and really smacks of self-interest and opportunism.

Wow.

It's rare that I get worked up, but this one really rubs me the wrong way. No respect whatsoever for the hosts of this message board, and really smacks of self-interest and opportunism.

WTTB!

Wow.

One might come to the conclusion that the OP is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person... hm

Not something I'm interested in (mostly because I don't own and have never read any of those books), but good luck to everyone actually doing it. I wouldn't really call it a "competition" though.