• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Just Bought a Collection to Re-sell! Now What?

29 posts in this topic

Hey guys I need some guidence!

I just recently bought a 30,000 comic collection from a collector here in colorado. I'm a dealer here and have been selling mostly at shows since the '90s.

I had thought I would list some on eBay and an parcel some out at shows, but, after running some numbers with the new eBay fee system, I am completely flabergasted by how much it is going to cost to sell of this collection through only eBay.

There has to be a better way, right? Has anybody used some of the other comic book sales websites, like comic collector live or comics price guide? Had any luck with those?

Any comments, including one about how I should have figured out how to resell the comics before I bought the comics, would be appreciated.

I just recently bought a 30,000 comic collection from a collector here in colorado. I'm a dealer here and have been selling mostly at shows since the '90s.

Any comments, including one about how I should have figured out how to resell the comics before I bought the comics, would be appreciated.

"MILE HIGH 3" Pedigree :insane:

I had thought I would list some on eBay and an parcel some out at shows, but, after running some numbers with the new eBay fee system, I am completely flabergasted by how much it is going to cost to sell of this collection through only eBay.

There has to be a better way, right? Has anybody used some of the other comic book sales websites, like comic collector live or comics price guide? Had any luck with those?

What's in it? GA/SA? Moderns? All NM #98's? << this was an unexpected comment ... lol

Duh, sorry. I'll be listing some here too, but, and maybe this is a wrong-headed observation, the tastes on this site seem to run key, Silver & Gold. This is a mostly modern collection with some nice runs, but, at the shows, I would probably sell a good chuck of them to $1 each.

Duh, sorry. I'll be listing some here too, but, and maybe this is a wrong-headed observation, the tastes on this site seem to run key, Silver & Gold. This is a mostly modern collection with some nice runs, but, at the shows, I would probably sell a good chuck of them to $1 each.

Yep. This is NOT the best place to sell lower end books. It probably wouldn't be worth your time to scan and post books valued at $10 and less in the OSPG. Better to flat price them at $2 or so and bring them to a con in cheapie bins. But, if you paid $0.10/book or less for them it might worth your time to post them here in lots priced at $1/book or less per lot for a quick flip.

But, if you paid $0.10/book or less for them it might worth your time to post them here in lots priced at $1/book or less per lot for a quick flip.

+1. Well priced runs in decent shape will do fine here. You wouldn't need to scan each book individually, just take digital photos of the books laid out and if anyone needs to see a specific issue you can scan those and either PM or post the scans. I've sold many a run of 80's-90's runs like Avengers here and done just fine.

I have seen many sales thread that just list out the runs for sale without pictures and do well. The problem is you will have to ship them. Have you tried listing them on Craigslist? It can be a pain in the neck but for the most part it is an easy way to sell things locally.

I have seen many sales thread that just list out the runs for sale without pictures and do well. The problem is you will have to ship them. Have you tried listing them on Craigslist? It can be a pain in the neck but for the most part it is an easy way to sell things locally.

Agreed. $1 threads and cheap book threads are quite common here. This place

has all types of collectors. Scan a few of the more interesting books to give us

an idea of your grading and post a list. Also offer to scan any book as requested.

Ebay fees and hassles will kill you on a collection like this. Zero costs here.

First I would separate out keys and minor keys, plus runs that are desirable (like early-mid X-men).

As for the cheap stuff, have you done the math for how much you paid per book? There are a lot of people who sell comics on here for $1.00 or less. To save on work I would sell them in lots. Just make sure they're conservatively (or at least accurately) graded.

I think no matter what you do you're looking at a LOT of work to sell them.

Another option is try to sell the entire collection as-is just as you did for a small profit.

30,000 books seems pretty daunting. Perhaps you could keep the best 1000 or so, then break up the remaining into smaller "collections" and sell them off as lots (5 or 6 lots). Most likely you would recover your initial investment plus a little more.

To sell 30,000 comics consisting of mainly moderns would require 1000s of hours, let someone else do it.

Edit: pretty much what the previous poster said. If you are married, this might also save your marriage.

About two years ago I bought a collection of ~2000 comics for $450. I sold about 500 of the books for ~$1000 over a year or so. I was then left with mainly copper books and a small amount of low grade silver and bronze.

I sold the remaining 1500 to someone for $300.

From my experience as a long time forum member on comicspriceguide, a collection this size would be a real hassle to list with their software when compared to the actual amount of sales that you may have.

Have you considered busting hump and having a hell of a blow-out booth at the next Virtual Comic Con right here on these very boards.

If I'm not mistaken, $1 books do very well... I know I love them. :cloud9: