• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Much Of Your Collection is CGC Graded?

79 posts in this topic

I'm new to the Collector Society, but I've had my comic collection for about 20 years. It looks like I have to jump on the CGC bandwagon and was wondering how much of everyone's collection is CGC graded... I suppose I have to come up with thousands of dollars (I have one long box of DC and one long box of Marvel Silver Age) to get these pups graded!

Looks like I'm going to play Catch Up with you guys.... I plan to unload my collection to help pay for some landscaping to my house! I have mini-runs of Tales To Astonish, Tales Of Suspense, Green Lantern, Flash, Daredevil, The Atom, Brave and the Bold!! I'm going to get at least 200 graded. foreheadslap.gif

Actually it makes more sense to have one central grading facility. Grading stays consistent if the same people grade all of the books. The moment you have two seperate groups grading, issues tend to arise in relating to grading standards.

Since you are in Los Angeles, CGC representatives will be at the San Diego comicon. You should go down to SD and meet some of the people and get a better picture of the company. Plus we have a forum dinner there where you can meet some of the board members as well as talk comics and grading.

Another suggestion is to scan a couple of your books and post them in the grading forum for people to evaluate your books. This may give you a better idea of how they might get graded.

I suppose I have to come up with thousands of dollars (I have one long box of DC and one long box of Marvel Silver Age) to get these pups graded!

What's your motivation for submitting? I only buy books slabbed that run a risk of being restored, and I don't slab books unless I'm going to sell them or I buy a raw one I suspect is restored and want to prove it before returning it to the seller.

What's your motivation for submitting? I only buy books slabbed that run a risk of being restored, and I don't slab books unless I'm going to sell them or I buy a raw one I suspect is restored and want to prove it before returning it to the seller.

"I plan to unload my collection to help pay for some landscaping to my house!"

Yeah, I thought it was a good way to pay for some landscaping and other stuff around the house. Tile around the pool will be nice for the summer. Also, my boxes are taking up a whole closet (I have 2 silver age longboxes and 5 modern age). Sounds like CGC turnaround is quite the topic. I'll be researching a bit more before selling. That GPA-GP analysis look like it's going to be helpfull.

As Deathlok pointed out, it would probably be helpful to post a few scans in the grading forum.

Another idea would be to post a list of the books you're selling in the Marketplace forum. You may be surprised by the response...

If you've got any Byrne books to sell, PM me a list. thumbsup2.gif

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

I have about 30 slabbed books.

With a package of about 30 more that will be submitted within the next few weeks.

Most of those will be keepers. A few to flip.

My collection is very small compared to what it used to be, so I only have around 500-600 books at the moment.

I have 94 slabbed books in my personal collection so far; that's just counting my Silver JLAs (and about half of those are from my own "raw" inventory).

I slab now to help me correlate my grading with CGC's, so future submissions (if there are any...WIZARD FIRST????) are more likely to result in satisfactory number$.

Because, ultimately, my books are ready to sell at the drop of a dime. That is, if a situation arises where I HAVE to sell. Quickly.

And all the talk about whether slabbed books should sell the same as their raw counter-parts always ends the same: They don't. Generally speaking, they sell for more. A lot more. Reputation/ Schleputation.

Rick

Because, ultimately, my books are ready to sell at the drop of a dime. That is, if a situation arises where I HAVE to sell. Quickly.

Is that situation now? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif But seriously, I totally agree with you, which is why I've gotten a lot of my better books slabbed: either because I wanted to sell them or in case the need arises to sell them quickly.