• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Much Of Your Collection is CGC Graded?

79 posts in this topic

Is that situation now? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif But seriously, I totally agree with you, which is why I've gotten a lot of my better books slabbed: either because I wanted to sell them or in case the need arises to sell them quickly.

I totally agree, and there are going to be tons of "lost dollars" out there (like pre and post-Punisher movie sales of ASM 129) when the pain hits. If your books are already CGC graded, you can sell quick and get out with your shirt.

If your books are already CGC graded, you can sell quick and get out with your shirt.

Heck, I'm shootin' for as many shirts from others as possible.

(And getting a lil' ol' lady's shirt would be extra sweeeet! Feel the chill granny, feel the chill insane.gif)

Rick

Because, ultimately, my books are ready to sell at the drop of a dime. That is, if a situation arises where I HAVE to sell. Quickly.

Is that situation now? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif But seriously, I totally agree with you, which is why I've gotten a lot of my better books slabbed: either because I wanted to sell them or in case the need arises to sell them quickly.

thumbsup2.gif

DAM

I'm new to the Collector Society, but I've had my comic collection for about 20 years. It looks like I have to jump on the CGC bandwagon and was wondering how much of everyone's collection is CGC graded... I suppose I have to come up with thousands of dollars (I have one long box of DC and one long box of Marvel Silver Age) to get these pups graded!

Welcome to the boards!! Good luck getting the books graded and making some nice additions to the house. There is more to life than funnybooks! Although a big part of my life are the funnybooks - balance . . .

DAM

I totally agree, and there are going to be tons of "lost dollars" out there (like pre and post-Punisher movie sales of ASM 129) when the pain hits. If your books are already CGC graded, you can sell quick and get out with your shirt.

Sigh. That's NOT what I meant. I sell books I don't want anymore in order to purchase ones that I do. And I like having my "core" collection slabbed so that I can sell books quickly in case there is some emergency requiring some relatively quick raising of funds, or if I should bite the big one, so that my wife and family, who are clueless about comics, won't be taken advantage of too badly when selling off my collection.

I'm hip to your reasons. Not only am I selling my collection, but I'm curious about the grade of my books. I'm going to start the grading with:

(2) Fantastic Four #48

Justice League of America #2

Tales of Suspense #66

Green Lantern #59

Daredevil #14

Spectre #1

Tales to Astonish #73

Captain America #114

Avengers #24

My first 10!!!

How Much Of Your Collection is CGC Graded?

None!

But I have a few that have been liberated from their plastic prisons.

50% by value and 10% by # of books. 50 slabbed of a collection of 100.

I also have about 100 books in the process at various stages. Basically I slab anything that gets more value with a CGC slab then without. My rule is as follows to get things graded.

Anything worth $1000 or higher.

Popular Golden Age 6.0 or better unrestored, Not so Popular 7.5 or better

Popular Silver Age 8.0 or better, Not so popular 9.0 or better

Bronze Age 9.0 or better

Modern 9.4 or better and >$25 after slabbing

Otherwise the cost of grading is pointless with a few exceptions like a 9.2 ASM 300 or something like that. Popular v Not so popular simply means I might slab an Amazing Spiderman 42 in 8.0 but a book like Millie the Model would need to net a 9.0 to be worth your while. I'd reconsider some of the books you listed, grade dependent.

As far as reading and collecting for the love of the comic, I can always have a high grade slabbed and then keep a low grade reader. I'm not the only one to do that either.