• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy high water in Pike basement, Batman!

24 posts in this topic

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110819/NEWS/108190338

Butch Danley was far from laughing as he tenderly handled hundreds of vintage comic books soaked in a flood in his Millrift basement in Pike County.

A stream behind his garage was disturbed by a Columbia Gas Transmission Line project and fueled the flooding, according to Susan Beecher, executive director of the Pike County Conservation District.

Recent rain sent water in a new direction, namely to Danley's basement, where he had 32 storage tubs full of comic books dating back to the 1950s.

The superhero powers of Superman, the Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and the Fantastic Four were no match for the rising waters.

I hate to see something like this happen to anyone but looking at the pics I'm not seeing anything older than maybe the late '70s.

Same here....

Yup. Looks like mostly 80s books in the photos, although I belivee there's an early 70s Magnus Robot Fighter on the tarp.

I hate to see something like this happen to anyone but looking at the pics I'm not seeing anything older than maybe the late '70s.

Same here....

Yup. Looks like mostly 80s books in the photos, although I belivee there's an early 70s Magnus Robot Fighter on the tarp.

Horrible to have this happen to anyone, but the flip side is that the comics look to be easily replaceable without spending a ton of money to do so

What a horrible thing to happen! :o And depending on condition of course I still think this collection could be very expensive to replace. This type of thing is why I really do not believe basements are good for storing anything ephemera related at all! I don’t care how safe you think your basement is, I don’t care if its finished, I don’t care how nice your dehumidifier is, I don’t care if you do not live in a floodplain..... water always collects at the lowest point of a home! rantrant

What a horrible thing to happen! :o And depending on condition of course I still think this collection could be very expensive to replace. This type of thing is why I really do not believe basements are good for storing anything ephemera related at all! I don’t care how safe you think your basement is, I don’t care if its finished, I don’t care how nice your dehumidifier is, I don’t care if you do not live in a floodplain..... water always collects at the lowest point of a home! rantrant

I'm with you on that.I don't have a basement,but if I did I certainly would'nt put my comics down there. :P

I hope this isnt me come this Friday! :eek:

Hurricane Irene is supposed to hit us Friday morning so it looks like i might be making a few trips to my in laws vault to make sure all my slabs stay safe hm

Well, it could be worse. At least he still has his home. A different type of feeling, but I know bad it feels to lose virtually a complete collection of collectables. In '96, I had a break-in while I was away from home. About $35k worth of vintage sports cards were stolen. None of it was ever returned. I'd estimate a worth of at least 3x that in today's market if not a little bit more.

This is why I invest in a safe now for protection against theft as well as fire and water.

Yikes. Luckily I keep all my rare books in ziplocks and saran wrap.
I hear you. And for real safe-keeping I keep all my money rolled up in my socks.