• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atomic Comics closes its doors

89 posts in this topic

The sales numbers across the board are what scare me. If the best selling book is barely breaking 100,000 copies a month, I don't see how that could be considered thriving. Though I'm personally glad to hear that your stores ( or any stores for that matter ) are doing well. I don't want the industry to die..I want it to grow and flourish.

You have places like Borders closing down too. Not sure if their business model wasn't good, or if people just want their content electronically now. Comics will survive, one way or another...but I agree it's painful to watch.

Or people have learned buying the comics through an online retailer is much cheaper.

DBCS and other online retailers are quickly becoming the powerhouses of the comic retailing community. I suspect many people who use these online services also are purchasing many more non-Marvel and DC comics than they would if they went to a LCS. Mostly because the LCS doesn't carry the selection you can get from the online retailer. I believe that accounts for the shift we are seeing with the top 10 comics dropping in numbers, but the bottom comics in the top 300 rising in numbers.

In my case, I buy very few Marvel and DC titles now that I buy my comics through DCBS.

Thanks,

Ron

This is sad news. The car crash is killer and leads me to believe its not the industry thats suffering so much as it is something to do with Atomic Comics themselves.

Like someone said above.... it appears there will be room for a new comic retailer to open in that area.

The sales numbers across the board are what scare me. If the best selling book is barely breaking 100,000 copies a month, I don't see how that could be considered thriving. Though I'm personally glad to hear that your stores ( or any stores for that matter ) are doing well. I don't want the industry to die..I want it to grow and flourish.

You have places like Borders closing down too. Not sure if their business model wasn't good, or if people just want their content electronically now. Comics will survive, one way or another...but I agree it's painful to watch.

Or people have learned buying the comics through an online retailer is much cheaper.

DBCS and other online retailers are quickly becoming the powerhouses of the comic retailing community. I suspect many people who use these online services also are purchasing many more non-Marvel nd DC comics than they would if they went to a LCS. Mostly because the LCS doesn't carry the selection you can get from the online retailer. I believe that accounts for the shift we are seeing with the top 10 comics dropping in numbers, but the bottom comics in the top 300 rising in numbers.

Data on this? It's not like circulation isn't down overall. Selling the bottom 300 doesn't pay the rent.

So how do people leaf through the pages of a new title if they are an online buyer? At a comic shop you can at least look at the artwork and storyline a bit before you decide if you wanna buy

This is sad news. The car crash is killer and leads me to believe its not the industry thats suffering so much as it is something to do with Atomic Comics themselves.

Like someone said above.... it appears there will be room for a new comic retailer to open in that area.

Rjrjr and Senormac are on to something. The industry is going through changes and stores must adapt. New shops continue to open in Phoenix. I am most familiar with the west side - Jesse James is celebrating 2 years this weekend and a new store Dr. Fantasy's just opened at 75th Ave. and Bell, next to a Toys r Us. I haven't been in yet but I'm going to check it out today.

The thing with change is being able to adapt to take advantage of it. New comics are in flux. However, there are a lot of people like me who loved comics, got burned out in the early 90's (a 16 year old can only afford so many X-titles), and are now rediscovering their love with a little disposable income. I couldn't afford a Hulk 181 in 1993, but I can now. The problem is I can't find it at the LCS. If I see good comics, they seem to be museum peices to attract looks but not priced to move. I love pre-code horror and pre-hero Marvel, I have cash but again they're not at the LCS. TMNT #1? nope. '70's horror mags? - these are not that rare but I can't find them. I'm not into the stripper comics (Zenescope), but those things are everywhere, so much so that I don't really feel comfortable bringing my young kids to the LCS or Cons. (There are some notable exceptions - All About Books and Comics is great).

Generation X is getting back into comics and this has already begun to effect the market. Shops that adapt will do fine. Shops that act like it's 2004 or 1994 will struggle. This has always been true, the only constant is change. I remember the stores when I was a kid that served the golden age crowd, they've closed or adapted.

I haven't heard of Dr. Fantasy's yet. Thats only 6-7 miles away. Keep us updated if its any good. I've been to Jesse James I am going to reserve my comments about him at this time.

I haven't heard of Dr. Fantasy's yet. Thats only 6-7 miles away. Keep us updated if its any good. I've been to Jesse James I am going to reserve my comments about him at this time.

All About Books and Comics :cloud9:

That's pretty much the only shop I go into when I'm up in Phoenix nowadays. Great place.

That's pretty much the only shop I go into when I'm up in Phoenix nowadays. Great place.

I love All About books and Comics, Allen is a great guy and his employees are extremely nice and helpful. I wish he was closer. Laziness prevents me from wanting to drive a 30-35 minutes to a comic store. Like my brother rjrjr I shop online, and as for back issues I go to Ed Roberston.

I am curious just what piece of the circulation market DCBS, et al actually have before I attribute shop closings to them. Like the search for 9.8 slabs and things that matter a lot to folks on this board, I tend to think it's a pretty small niche of folks who go through the trouble of doing a mail order pull list unless they're in remote locales (and true, with fewer shops, more folks are going to be remote to the nearest shop or there might only be one and they're ticked off at them).

For me its actually about economics; gas, wear and tear on car, what is my time worth and the huge discounts on new product. As a bonus I tend to get higher graded copies from dcbs than in local stores, not sure why, the books always come in near flawless and I don't have to search the racks.

I am curious just what piece of the circulation market DCBS, et al actually have before I attribute shop closings to them.

Here are my best guesstimates of how important DCBS is. This is what I can infer as to their average monthly customer pull list:

2006 - 1311 subscribers

2007 - 1719

2008 - 2100

2009 - 2600

2010 - 2917

2011 (so far) - 3095

If accurate, that's an impressive growth rate in terms of customer base, wouldn't you agree?

I am curious just what piece of the circulation market DCBS, et al actually have before I attribute shop closings to them.

Here are my best guesstimates of how important DCBS is. This is what I can infer as to their average monthly customer pull list:

2006 - 1311 subscribers

2007 - 1719

2008 - 2100

2009 - 2600

2010 - 2917

2011 (so far) - 3095

If accurate, that's an impressive growth rate in terms of customer base, wouldn't you agree?

I suppose, although if sales to that increased base are down per customer then they may be stagnant $-wise from 2008.

Doesn't seem like enough to sink 4 stores in Arizona though. We're probably talkign about, maybe, 25-50 folks in the area using that service. Throw in the other subscription services and it's a few more. Moreover, the growth could be because shops are closing and more folks are just too darn far away from the nearest shop now, not that they decided to forego their shop for DCBS.

As for selection...my comic shops let you order anything that is anywhere in previews/diamond. Does DCBS have a broader selection?

DBCS and other online retailers are quickly becoming the powerhouses of the comic retailing community. I suspect many people who use these online services also are purchasing many more non-Marvel and DC comics than they would if they went to a LCS. Mostly because the LCS doesn't carry the selection you can get from the online retailer. I believe that accounts for the shift we are seeing with the top 10 comics dropping in numbers, but the bottom comics in the top 300 rising in numbers.

In my case, I buy very few Marvel and DC titles now that I buy my comics through DCBS.

Thanks,

Ron

There's also a major convenience factor with online retailers. If I'm struck by an impulse to buy/read/own something at 10pm, while reading threads here or browsing other comic sites, it's a very quick 'trip' to Amazon to order a tpb. It's like having an LCS right next door, open all hours, with a huge selection (minus monthlies).

As for LCSs monthly singles selection, I suspect many would like to carry a broader range of indies, etc, but are limited by capital factors.

I love All About books and Comics, Allen is a great guy and his employees are extremely nice and helpful. I wish he was closer. Laziness prevents me from wanting to drive a 30-35 minutes to a comic store. Like my brother rjrjr I shop online, and as for back issues I go to Ed Roberston.

Ed is the best.

Is Jesse James the one at 43rd and Peoria?

Samurai Comics is apparently opening a store right next to Atomic Comics location in Mesa.

I don't think their(Atomic) demise was due to lack of sales necessarily, but more of a culmination of factors having to do with the Mesa store flooding.

Mike is a great guy but when he started to have 75% off sales I kind of thinking of the bad. I thought he would have consolidated into two shops. I shopped at two of his 75% sales and came out with a ton of silver and bronze age gems, sorry to see all of the stores close. :sorry:

First and foremost, I want to express my sympathy to the employees who lost their jobs as well as to the owner who lost his business. The few times I talked to Mike, he was always a great guy who was fun to talk to. With that said, being a Phoenix resident who lives within 10 miles of one of the Atomic Comic stores (Tatum and Cactus), I'd like to explain why I did not support my LCS (Atomic Comics):

* There were no discounts on opening a box. In fact, in order to have a box at Atomic Comics, I would have to pay a $25 fee.

* Back issue prices were priced way too high. A 75% discount would bring the prices down to a reasonable level on par with other comic shop's back issues.

* "Hot" new comics would be priced above cover within days of going on sale. This practice at Atomic Comic is ultimately what got me to stop shopping there entirely and buying all my books from DBCS. I remember going to the store on a Wednesday or Thursday when the death of Captain America issue was released and the regular issue was priced at $8. This was the day of or the day right after it was released!

* Prior to the store relocating corners at Tatum and Cactus, the employees were very nice and helpful. In fact, the service was some of the best service I have ever seen at any retail store, comic or not. After the relocation and a staff turnover, the new employees would play the music too loud and ignore customers while they chatted it up with their friends. The store/employees were not as inviting as the they use to be.

* They stocked heavy on Marvel comics, not as heavy on DC comics, and barely at all on most indies. Unless you were a Marvel fan, your pickings were slim.

I'll miss the convenience of stopping by Atomic Comics on the odd weekend when I wanted to "browse" the stands looking for an oddball issue to buy and read. I definitely will miss them for the comic supplies (which is mostly what I used their store for.) On the other hand, the area still has a Half Price bookstore and the absolute best comic shop, All About Books and Comics, is only 30 minutes away.

I do hope the employees get jobs quickly and the owner is able to to recuperate from this loss quickly.

Thanks,

Ron

It is very sad for the employees and Mike Malve that Atomic has closed. I started shopping at Atomic when it first opened over 20 years ago. Mike Malve has done a lot for the comic community over the years. He got the original 7 image founders together.

I did shop at the Mesa store and in the last couple of years found the same problems that RJRJR found.

No discounts for box holders. Greg's comics 3 miles away gives 20 percent to everybody

Back issues were over priced. A lot of 90's comics in VG

Hot new comics triple price on Thursday. I never saw a new comic over cover on wensday. Atomic also placed large orders. They usually never sold out. I work for Fed Ex frieght and I would see their 6 foot tall pallet of comics every tuesday.

I also noticed after the flood a change in personel. They alway did have a couple of employees who knew comics and a couple of employees to help. It seemed like all of the knowlegable employees were gone and replaced.

The biggest change I noticed was it seemed like Mike was not there as much. I don't know why.

I must also say I love ALL About Books and Comics. Alan and Marsha are Very good at what they do and Phil was/is? an Overstreet advisor. Very knowlegable about comics and make you feel at home. I first went there about 25 years ago and I still get the same feeling today.

I wish Mike Malve and his former employess nothing but the best and hope they land on their feet in these tough times.

2006 - 1311 subscribers

2007 - 1719

2008 - 2100

2009 - 2600

2010 - 2917

2011 (so far) - 3095

So, how many customers does the average comic shop have? What about the largest comic shops? I suspect DCBS and other online retailers like it have to be some of Diamonds biggest retailers. If every subscriber purchase an average of $100-200 worth of product a month, that's about $300,000 - $600,000 a month going with 3000 subscribers. An online subscriber is going to have to purchase more than a few books in order to get the cost benefit of going with an online retailer even with their deep discounts due to the cost of S&H.

This year, comic sales have slowed considerably. I suspect that is attributable to the economy. Overall however, if you throw out this year's data as an outlier (and besides, we won't know how this year turns out until it is over), if I'm reading the reports and numbers correctly at http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html, unit sales of the top 300 comics are going down, but the unit sales of the lower tiered books are rising. The market size has been increasing for the past decade.

My theory, based on nothing but my personal experience and my personal hopes, is as more and more people move to buying their comics from alternate sources other than brick and mortar comic book stores, they do not necessarily default to buying Marvel and DC comics with the occasional independent title. Let's face it, Marvel and DC do not have to compete with indies at the LCS level. Most of those stores are clearly aimed at pushing the big two's titles, just like Barnes and Nobles is aimed at pushing the best sellers. It's the average LCS' bread and butter. Online retailers level the playing field considerably for the independent comic publishers and people who use the online retailers are choosing alternative titles to the big two. One of my big reasons to moving to DBCS was so I can get the independent titles I'm interested in, because the LCS simply didn't stock the titles I was interested in. At least that is how I'm interpreting the trends I see in the industry.

Back to whether or not an online retailer like DCBS can be attributable to the closing of a LCS, I agree there is no evidence of this. I suspect they are one of the many factors that do contribute to the closing of a LCS and I strongly believe they will be a bigger factor in the future than the mythical digital only comic reader, at least short term. I believe we've heard from both DC and Marvel that digital comic sales are negligible compared to the sales of the physical copies.

Again, no hard evidence, just my feelings on the matter.

Thanks,

Ron

Now its time for one of the frequent boardies who believe the comic industry is in danger of imminent collapse to come along, refute my opinion and belittle me in the process. :grin: