• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Almost)OT: GA Soviet WWII propaganda posters

11 posts in this topic

Very fun. This summer I read the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich which is a fascinating book. The Russians really weren't much of an ally and were in quite thick with the Germans before he turned on them too. Didn't realize the level of complicity until I read this book.

I saw 2 exhibits at Chicago's Fine Art Institute about Stalin, Hitler, and Soviet WW II propaganda posters, mags, and books. This was during Wizard Chicago in Aug/11 so the show should still be running in downtown Chicago for a few more months. :applause:

wow those are awesome. the poster of the nazi soldiers changing into cemetary crosses on the snowy field (must be re: invasion of russia) is creepy as heck

I picked up this WW2 Soviet propaganda poster a while back. The history of it and image was too neat to pass up.

The gentleman that I obtained the poster from, had the following write-up with it:

This is an exceptionally rare WWII Russian anti-German, anti-Hitler propaganda poster. One of the most dramatic and emotionally evocative wartime patriotic posters issued by the Soviets, this poster also has exceptional artistic merit. The colors are deep and vibrant, and the depiction of the mad dog is such that we instantly recognize it as a caricature of Adolf Hitler. Russian text beneath the Hiterlian dog reads:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Ferocity of a Mad Dog"

"Fangs injured, beaten down . . . bruised . . . half whiskers . . . mean eyes bulging out of the sockets . . . And with greater despair you look at the ferocity of the mad dog."

"But as much as he will scare one; we know, the beginning of his death-struggle is nearing."

"It is a fact, not a fable, that the wild beast is more mad and evil, more poisonous and dangerous, the closer he is to his death."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issued in Moscow in 1943 (lower left corner) by Tass – the Soviet news agency responsible for wartime propaganda. At the upper right corner it bears the Tass (“TACC”) censor approval number “697.”

The story of this poster is as fascinating as the item itself and explains its abnormally fine condition.

It is in mint condition because it was one of a number saved for fifty years by the party member who worked for Tass as a propaganda censor.

This gentleman was a Russian Jew, who emigrated to the USA in the late 1970s and brought these posters with him.

The reason this poster is so rare is that in 1943 most of the Russian paper making plants were in the hands of the Germans, and this poster is printed on stock that is only slightly heavier than tissue paper!

The Poster is 38.8 x 23.3cm (Framed 51.8 x 36.8cm). and is in MINT condition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

warposter1.jpg

warposter2.jpg

warposter3.jpg

Dwight

This illustrated essay caught my eye and I thought I'd mention it here. A lot of these images would have been cool comic book covers - check out the 'Hitler as Swastika'.

Wow AJD, they look awesome, thank you!

The Russians really weren't much of an ally and were in quite thick with the Germans before he turned on them too. Didn't realize the level of complicity until I read this book.

Hmm… I’m not sure there can be "allies" in a context of war, where the key element is division (and its spritual roots are never enough examined in the first place).

@detective35df: Great poster, and the story adds to its value.

Most 1943-1945 italian comics suffer the same problem (and thus are very rare, especially in high-grade): paper shortage and occasional lack of materials gave a discontinuing quality to our publications of the war years.