• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FanExpo - a quick report before my laptop battery dies

22 posts in this topic

I'm down to 4% power. Going to die any second.

Lines for Premium passholders were bad, but not as bad as last year. Still, if you sell 1,000 or 1,500 premium passes with early access, you gotta figure that all 1,500 will show up and want to get in early. Which is what happened. So it was a bit slow getting in the door, then down the multiple escalators, then another line to get into the Premium lounge for the swag, then another line to buy some of the exclusives...

But I was in line with Bruno and Marco, so the time passed quickly. They kept me entertained.

Finally got into the show floor around 2:30 or 2:45.

Good thing was that the floor was pretty quite during the 2 hour "preview". No crowding. Lots of room to spread out.

Spent the next 4 hours talking OA with a couple dealers and a couple other collectors. Watched Roy show up late with his daughter and get set up in a panic. (Said he was stuck in an elevator for an hour.... Hmmmm.) Said hello to Harley.

Seemed to be more dealers than usual for a HobbyStar event, which was great. Also pleased to see at least 3 OA dealers, since that's more of my focus these days.

Was tempted to buy a Daredevil #1 from one of the OA dealers who also had a few short boxes of books, but wasn't sure if it would grade out at 7.0 (in which case it was an excellent deal) or 6.0 (in which case it would have been a really bad deal)... so I passed.

Only covered about a quarter of the comics dealers, and then I had to leave at 6pm due to work commitments.

Going back on Saturday to face the hoards. Should be a blast!

(Sorry - didn't take pics.)

Battery now at 1%. Good night.

Is it true Ethan Van Sciver canceled?
he posted on facebook that there was a leter out of place on his name on the ticket and that aparently threw security in a tizzy which resulted in him missing his flight and therefore a connecting flight on to Toronto -- so not realy his fault as someone else purchased the ticket --

Watched Roy show up late with his daughter and get set up in a panic. (Said he was stuck in an elevator for an hour.... Hmmmm.)

I had the day planned to spend with my kids in the city until almost 4pm because the website listed a 4pm start time. Found out late last night that preview opens at 2pm for VIP badge holders. Decided I would cut my day a little short with my kids to make the 2pm start time. My second oldest wanted to come help me. On the way there with inventory, me, my second oldest daughter and 7 other random people the elevator gets stuck between floors.

Awesome.

We were not nearly at capacity so that was not an issue.

We we there a good 20-25 minutes when the door finally popped open. We were between floors in the South side of the convention centre.

We carefully got down and then carried the inventory out of the elevator and down two flights of escalators (cart, boxes, etc).

Showed up somewhere around 2:40ish to set up quickly.

Racks were already up, just needed to fill them up with books.

Needless to say it was an unforgettable first show for my daughter.

lol

Watched Roy show up late with his daughter and get set up in a panic. (Said he was stuck in an elevator for an hour.... Hmmmm.)

I had the day planned to spend with my kids in the city until almost 4pm because the website listed a 4pm start time. Found out late last night that preview opens at 2pm for VIP badge holders. Decided I would cut my day a little short with my kids to make the 2pm start time. My second oldest wanted to come help me. On the way there with inventory, me, my second oldest daughter and 7 other random people the elevator gets stuck between floors.

Awesome.

We we there a good 20-25 minutes when the door finally popped open. We were between floors in the South side of the convention centre.

We carefully got down and then carried the inventory out of the elevator and down two flights of escalators (cart, boxes, etc).

lol

It was worth the wait, Roy. Impressive display of books, to say the least. (thumbs u

And thanks for your input and advice on the DD #1.

Awesome.

lol

Every Show report I wait for Roy to chime in with some Drama. I always wonder what you did in a past life to cause this Karma in your life. Cracks me up

Would you rather read about getting stuck on the elevator or reading something like this

Today I woke up to sunshine and birds chirping.

Made my first pot of coffee.

Sat down and checked out my orders, got some good sales.

Drank the first cup of coffee for the day.

Answered some emails.

The boredom is killing me. Something happen already!

Would you rather read about getting stuck on the elevator or reading something like this

Answered some emails.

Did'nt Saaaaaay That.

From A Fellow NY'er. Go F yourself. :ohnoez:

Hurricane Baby..... Wooooo Hooooo

I've been alone all month with my family over in Europe.

I've been making coffee by the cup.

I hadn't thought to make it by the pot. Even first pot.

Genius!

Answered some emails.

Did'nt Saaaaaay That.

From A Fellow NY'er. Go F yourself. :ohnoez:

Hurricane Baby..... Wooooo Hooooo

Were you born after cell phones were invented or microwave ovens were invented? Either way... immature and amateur in 2 back to back posts. :makepoint:

Andrew, as usual it was great to see you and talk. Thanks for the helping with the long line... again!

Awesome.

lol

Every Show report I wait for Roy to chime in with some Drama. I always wonder what you did in a past life to cause this Karma in your life. Cracks me up

Some people might consider it bad Karma. I'm guessing by the sound of your posts that you do too.

Personally, whether someone ends up in jail over a misunderstanding, in a random stuck elevator or with a stinking sandwich in your car in the hot sun, I consider it a positive learning experience and "good" Karma.

To each their own.

Enjoy your half empty beer on your quest for god.

:shy:

Awesome.

lol

Some people might consider it bad Karma. I'm guessing by the sound of your posts that you do too.

Personally, whether someone ends up in jail over a misunderstanding, in a random stuck elevator or with a stinking sandwich in your car in the hot sun, I consider it a positive learning experience and "good" Karma.

To each their own.

:applause:

My beer is always half full......then empty

Awesome.

lol

To each their own.

How was Friday, Roy? I'm coming back today. Hope it's not as nuts as last year on Saturday.

How was Friday, Roy? I'm coming back today. Hope it's not as nuts as last year on Saturday.

Friday was pretty busy. It seemed full to capacity most of the time with lots of traffic in the aisles and lots of terrific costumes (saw a full on, really well done Queen Amidala and a few others) and people were buying.

I've been doing pretty well...lots of tire kickers and lookers but also have had decent sales over the last few days.

Pretty sure Saturday is going to be nuts if Friday is any indication.

Feel free to take shelter in our booth if you need a break from the masses, Andrew.

(thumbs u

Feel free to take shelter in our booth if you need a break from the masses, Andrew.

(thumbs u

:applause: (thumbs u

Probably won't get downtown til mid-afternoon. Traffic should be crazy, what with the road closures for Jack Layton's funeral and Buskerfest (seems somewhat inappropriate to mention those two things in the same sentence).

Roy, you're alright! (thumbs u

Wish I could have made the show to share in the adventure.

I promised Bruno I'd make the next one.