• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay question - what to do

19 posts in this topic

Need advice with the following situation.

I won an ebay auction back in the beginning of July of this year. Amount was only 19.99 plus s&h.

As soon as I won, I requested an invoice from the seller as the s&h seemed wrong ($12 for 2 comics).

I heard nothing from the seller after three days, so I bit the bullet and just paid the 19.99 and the $12 shipping.

~ 5 weeks later, I have not heard a peep from the seller, and the comics have not arrived. Also, the tracking number provided by ebay shows that the comics have not left the seller's state yet.

I send another message through ebay, no response from seller. I open a claim with ebay, one week passes no response from seller, three days later ebay provides me with a full refund.

A week and a half later, the comics arrive. I try to contact the seller explaining the situation, and my intent to pay again. However, as he had over 200 ebay auctions in July, I simply state that I want him to acknowledge that I am paying again. I get no response from the seller. Some communication at this point would have been appreciated.

Checking the seller's ebay page, they haven't had any ebay auctions since the middle of July (had over 200 in July, 1,000+ for the year). They did receive their first 2 negatives for the year among their last 5 or so feedbacks they received (poor condition).

What do I do at this point? I consider myself a honest person...

1. pay seller

Can I even do this? Can I get their paypal email address through ebay? I imagine I can find it in my paypal account?

2. mail back the books

This seems like the most logical situation, as I have his address.

However, I don't want to pay again, only to have him finally respond again and demand payment again. Nor do I want to mail them back, and have him demand that I pay after the fact.

Frankly, based on the lack of communication, I am content to slowly resolve this... but for me, doing nothing isn't really an option.

For me it is an easy decision. You bid, won and paid. Since no books arrived, ebay granted you a refund. The books finally arrived, just repay the seller. Case closed. You can check your history in Paypal as it is only one month ago. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your time.

The books themselves were described as VF, they're probably VF- so whatever, I essentially got what I asked for.

Mailing them back would involve me being out more money having to pay for shipping... and they could easily say they never received them... opening up a bigger can of worms.

Obviously paying again is the way to go, I can easily prove that I paid again. I was concerned that they might try to deny that I ever repaid... but I guess that really isn't an issue. Alright thanks for pointing me in the obvious direction.

How much did the shipping actually cost the seller? (What did it say on the package?) If you like the books, tell the seller you want to pay him for the cost of the books plus the actual cost of the shipping. If he agrees, pay him via PayPal. I know he hasn't been very responsive to emails, but just keep sending him a message every week or so saying you want to pay him. If he doesn't respond after two months, keep the books.

Really, you shouldn't have to send back books that you are happy with just because the seller is incapable of communication. Nor should you have to endure a headache. After a couple of months of trying in earnest to do the right thing, you will have earned the right to keep the books. The seller will be paying for a lesson learned, to the tune of only about $32. If this were $320 or $3,200 then I might look at this differently, but for $32 you shouldn't be knocking yourself out.

Pay seller (figure out accurate shipping either based on postage, or just check it on USPS site).

If you can't pay via PayPal, send a check to the return address. If that never gets cashed, then give up.

Something similar happened to me before, but it was an off eBay transaction with some shady bootleg watch dealers in China. They never did get their money back. I waited over a month for the shipment, no idea what happened. It obviously made it past customs but took forever. I didn't intend on ripping them off though. They just quit responding.

Don't do anything until you hear from the seller.

Sounds like he has outside issues going on.

You're better off to wait until he's paying attention again.

Maybe send him an email that you received the books and will send payment once he responds.

I'd say you offered to pay don't feel guilty about it if the seller does not reply the items are yours fare & square ... Its a lesson learned for the seller about proper communication

6 weeks to receive books, seller over charges on shipping, and refuses to communicate

I would definitely pay this tool but only if he responds

Agreed.

Being an honest person, you know it was just an misunderstanding. But this is a seller who obviously doesn't have the decency to even reply to buyers that have legitimate problems. Screw him. Keep 'em until he responds. You did everything right.

I was going to say pay him, but this guy should be a proffesional seller, and he isn't going to learn how to be a professional seller if the buyer has to do his work.

Make him contact you first then tell him you will pay him the price of the books and the shipping cost only.

Then I would give him a neutral feedback stating that he has very poor communication skills.