• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great week for new books

23 posts in this topic

Seriously good stuff so far. I can't wait to dive back into the pile.

So far I've read Batman, Superman, The Wanted Dossier and 30 Days. Good stuff all around.

I've still got Birds of Prey (Golden art thumbsup2.gif), The Escapist, Utlimates vol 2, Ministry of Space, Ultimate FF, Conan, and Daredevil: Father to go...

You're right, Rob! Good week for books! smile.gif

Read all my pulls last night. except Escapist:

Superman #204 - can't say I was super excited prior to reading this one. But, a very good first issue for an arc. I will pick #205 up. I'm a little confused though (as I don't follow Supes), what was "the vanishing" they refer to? Was it a cosmic event that wiped out 1,000,000 people from Earth? Did they die, or were they mis-placed in some other dimension? What caused it, etc.... Thanks!

Ultimate FF#5 - This was very good as well but, as is complaint with Bendis, it took about 2 minutes to read. Kubert's art is phenomenal. I'd love to get a page from this book. He draw's a great Ben/Thing.

Ultimate SIx #7 - Descent ending to the story line. Nothing spectacular though. Is this the end of the book?

30 Days: Return to Barrow #2: After reading the uber-lame "Bite Club" last week, it was great to read this. These guys know how to do a horror book!!!! Can't wait for issue #3!!!!

Wanted: Dossier: Nothing special about this one. And it doesn't really add anything to the story, but it was still allright for what it was (basically a Who's Who). The into by Millar was the highlight.

I dropped Batman after the last issue. Should I check out #626?

You're right, Rob! Good week for books! smile.gif

Read all my pulls last night. except Escapist:

Superman #204 - can't say I was super excited prior to reading this one. But, a very good first issue for an arc. I will pick #205 up. I'm a little confused though (as I don't follow Supes), what was "the vanishing" they refer to? Was it a cosmic event that wiped out 1,000,000 people from Earth? Did they die, or were they mis-placed in some other dimension? What caused it, etc.... Thanks!

Chris... I've not been a regular reader of these books, but I believe #204 is a flash-forward to a year from now, meaning no one knows what the vanishing thing is all about, who these characters are, what happened to Lois, etc. etc. What I'm not sure is if we'll now go backward in time issue to issue (a la Memento) or if we'll jump back to the beginning of the storyline, or if we'll pick up the intervening bits as we move along from here.

Az supposedly wasn't thrilled at getting this assignment, but looks like he's come up with a cool twist to keep both his interest and our own. Seriously looking forward to #205 now! thumbsup2.gif

Chris... I've not been a regular reader of these books, but I believe #204 is a flash-forward to a year from now, meaning no one knows what the vanishing thing is all about, who these characters are, what happened to Lois, etc. etc. What I'm not sure is if we'll now go backward in time issue to issue (a la Memento) or if we'll jump back to the beginning of the storyline, or if we'll pick up the intervening bits as we move along from here.

Az supposedly wasn't thrilled at getting this assignment, but looks like he's come up with a cool twist to keep both his interest and our own. Seriously looking forward to #205 now! thumbsup2.gif

That's what hooked me. The flash-forward hook and the mystery of it all. It's a simple hook but the way supes' was acting emotionally and the vagueness of the vanishing were enough to totally hook me for the next issue.

Big week, but not a very good one.

The only books that I enjoyed this week were:

Marvel Knights 4 #5

Ultimate Fantastic Four #5

I thought that a couple of books were just ok:

Steve Rude's The Moth #1

Avengers/Thunderbolts #3

Ultimate Six #7

Conan #3

Catwoman #30

The rest were total pap including Flash, Superman, Avengers, The Escapist, Birds of Prey

As Yoda would say: "nice art saves not a story weak" and that sums up this week's batch of books.

Kev

Pretty decent haul for me at the LCS yesterday:

Abadazad #3 - Not really my cup of tea, but I'd like to see this all-ages book succeed.

Conan #3 - I love a good read without any characters running around in spandex.

Essential Tomb of Dracula vol. 2 TPB - Simply the best post-EC horror series and I'm happy to read it in B&W for less than $1 an issue versus spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on the originals.

GI Joe Reloaded #2 - Figured I would try out the 1st storyline.

Incredible Hulk #71 - Circulation's plummeting on this one - too edgy for the average Marvel Zombie unfortunately. Is Marvel renewing Jones' contract when it expires this summer? My guess is no.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang #4 - How much life does this or any CrossGen title have left??

Sojourn #34 - Will be a sad day when this series ends with #41.

Superman #204 - Tried to resist, but felt compelled to pick it up.

Vampirella Comics Magazine #4 - Probably dropping this one...it's just nothing like the Warren series, unfortunately.

X-Statix #22 - Is this officially cancelled yet? Milligan said in a recent interview that the X-Statix vs. Avengers storyline would be the perfect swan song for the book.

Did Ultimates nº1 vol.2 got out yet?!

I was wondering the same thing after reading Rob's post...

It wasnt on my LCS's list....

It's out - I saw it at my LCS yesterday.

Rob was referring to the Ultimates Vol. 2 TPB that came out this week.(as in the second TPB collection of Ultimates Vol. 1 issues).

The Ultimates Vol. 2 #1 is supposedly delayed until the fall so that Hitch can get a number of issues completed so they don't have the delays they had with Volume 1.

Kev

Rob was referring to the Ultimates Vol. 2 TPB that came out this week.(as in the second TPB collection of Ultimates Vol. 1 issues).

The Ultimates Vol. 2 #1 is supposedly delayed until the fall so that Hitch can get a number of issues completed so they don't have the delays they had with Volume 1.

Kev

Ahhhh ...gotcha ... I was beginning to wonder

Loved the Goon TPB that collects the first 3 issues. Amazing stuff. IMHO, this will be the next Hellboy.

Also picked up the final issue of Ministry of Space. Have to scrounge around to find and reread the first two issues, but it looks really good.

Bought the Jim Lee Superman just to check it out, then I'll wait for the hardcover to read them all at once.

Kev

I asked Millar about this over the weekend at the DF Show. He said the plan to have Hitch have at least 6 issues completed before the title goes to print so that it comes out on a reasonable schedule.

And Wormboy.....you are so right about the Goon! I love that book! The first trade was just fantastic. Hilarious stuff. The most recent issue, unfortunately, was horrible (IMO). But, all the others are gold! thumbsup2.gif