• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Is this forum more negative than others

99 posts in this topic

Absolutely.

If I have a product and services, let's say WXYZ and the company makes pens. A new type of pen and it is catching on with some pen users. I have a web site that discusses the WXYZ and products/services. I am NOT going to allow someone to sign on that site and bash WXYZ and it's users because s/he does not like the company and it's products/services.

I don't understand how people can miss this point. Maybe it is lonely where I am at( the top)???

CAL

povertyrow

no further elaboration on your part?

CAL

OK - a serious moment - was that post of your serious?

Yea, he's basically saying that either you see the CGC issue his way or you don't belong here. It's all very black and white, no gray areas allowed. thumbsup2.gif

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am a n00b...people here have been very cool. Knowledgeable folks with tons of good advice, you can talk smack, have a little fun etc.

having said that, this is NOT the place to come talking [!@#%^&^] about comics unless you know your stuff...you will get schooled pretty fast. These guys know their stuff and are MORE than happy to help out new people ( like me )...even with the st00pid-@ss questions that us n00bs ask over-and-over-and-over.

So, if you are feeling a little negativity...think about what you might be doing or saying that would garner that type of response.

well...just a thought anyhow.

Absolutely.

If I have a product and services, let's say WXYZ and the company makes pens. A new type of pen and it is catching on with some pen users. I have a web site that discusses the WXYZ and products/services. I am NOT going to allow someone to sign on that site and bash WXYZ and it's users because s/he does not like the company and it's products/services.

I don't understand how people can miss this point. Maybe it is lonely where I am at( the top)???

CAL

OK - so before I even respond to what you wrote in the 2nd part (the "only pro-CGC people should be here" part) I have to ask how you categorize me:

1) Those who buy/sell/trade/deal with CGC and understand and accept the CGC premise

or

2) Those who are adamantly against CGC and everything they represent. They bash, ridicule, and scrutinize every move CGC makes, whine about CGC not publishing grading standards, and anything that they can sink their pit bull teeth into. They are the "save-the-whales-hug-a-tree-read-and-free-the-comics" mentality.

OK - so before I even respond to what you wrote in the 2nd part (the "only pro-CGC people should be here" part) I have to ask how you categorize me:

I don't recall any of your posts other than Resto Issues so I won't classify you in either camp for now

BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF WHAT YOU ARE:

I maintain my position of this being the CGC Forum a lot of grief and Dead Threads would be spared if the Pro-CGCers were only allowed here. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that this position is consistent with my demeanor regarding Comic Book Collecting.

CAL

Why did you have to hijack a perfectly harmless post made by a new member?

Theres plenty of room to fight out in the lobby.. and lots of chairs to throw around too..

makepoint.gif

Zeman

I maintain my position of this being the CGC Forum a lot of grief and Dead Threads would be spared if the Pro-CGCers were only allowed here.

Cal...if this was the case then these Forums would be a rather boring place and we'd all be the lesser for it.

Jim

Theres plenty of room to fight out in the lobby.. and lots of chairs to throw around too

Uh, if you look real close, you will see that I answered the QUESTION that was directly related to the Topic of this Thread - newbie? Might be a shill. Ever think about that?

CAL

There is an old saying that has a LOT of validity to it: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I think that CGC is learning a lot from the negative posters. In fact, I'm surprised you never seemed to consider that aspect. Do you REALLY think this board was created out of the goodness of CGC's heart so YOU could have a warm, comfortable environment free from negativity? A bunch of people all appreciating CGC would be as exciting as watching dough rise on a cold day and about as sueful to CGC.

This place is a gold mine of information for CGC. It is a small collection of knowledgeable people, many having collected for years and quite familiar with pre/post CGC days. CGC has managed to gather this diverse group with diverse opinions and ideas under their umbrella - they basically have a microcosm of the current intelligent collecting base. To remove the negative element would render this thing maybe more comfy for you but a hell of a lot less informative to CGC.

Zeman I like you and think you are worth effort here but you have got to be kidding that the "harmless" post of "Negativity in this Forum" really IS harmless? That is why I took the time to give the answers I did, just to clarify this situation.

New Member? I am not so sure.

CAL

1) Those who buy/sell/trade/deal with CGC and understand and accept the CGC premise;

2) Those who are adamantly against CGC and everything they represent. They bash, ridicule, and scrutinize every move CGC makes, whine about CGC not publishing grading standards, and anything that they can sink their pit bull teeth into. They are the "save-the-whales-hug-a-tree-read-and-free-the-comics" mentality.

In the past, I have bought/sold/traded/dealt with CGC. I understand and accept their premise. I have even written two articles for their newsletter.

I am also for saving whales, and protecting the rainforest. Wouldn't mind free comics, either.

I would have to say that my ideological views (environmental protection) are far more important to me than the slabbing of comics. Therefore, I probably fit more into the second category than the first, despite the fact that I am not anti-CGC.

Then again, I'm not sure I'm getting the parallel between ideological/political viewpoints and whether or not one has ever slabbed a comic.

I suppose it means I'm one of the undesirables on this forum. Right now, I'm neither buying nor selling comics, and therefore am not utilizing CGC's services. I'm just here because these are my boys.

-- Joanna

There is an old saying that has a LOT of validity to it: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I think that CGC is learning a lot from the negative posters. In fact, I'm surprised you never seemed to consider that aspect. Do you REALLY think this board was created out of the goodness of CGC's heart so YOU could have a warm, comfortable environment free from negativity? A bunch of people all appreciating CGC would be as exciting as watching dough rise on a cold day and about as sueful to CGC.

This place is a gold mine of information for CGC. It is a small collection of knowledgeable people, many having collected for years and quite familiar with pre/post CGC days. CGC has managed to gather this diverse group with diverse opinions and ideas under their umbrella - they basically have a microcosm of the current intelligent collecting base. To remove the negative element would render this thing maybe more comfy for you but a hell of a lot less informative to CGC

And that very allowances of the trolls from the anti-CGC camp HAS cost them numerous submissions. I can say that because for a year-and-a-half I would not submit anymore to CGC because of the heat I took here the FIRST time I was registered here. You may think, well, CAL is only one guy, but that one guy has 7 storage rooms full of silver and gold books. Most high grade. How many other guys like CAL stopped submitting because of the discomfort of defending yourself all the time? Your description of this place as a goild mine of info for CGC has preventedf the same gold from eeking it's way into the CGC cash register. They don't work for free. You don't work for free and I certainly don't.

I now recall this clown who kept trolling the United Airlines site -he constantly bashed UAL and promoted Dealta and American. They put up with him for a while, and the flame wars were very bad - one day he was gone and the Board resumed it's normalcy - as intended.

Sorry, Pov but I am not convinced otherwise. You made excellent points, but I have not changed my position. Not out of stubborness, either. I still think that the Pro-CGCers should have the say here as we are the ones using the products and services. We are the ones paying, not the anti-CGCers. Money talks and everything else walks - or should walk.

CAL

Hi Spriggan,

Welcome to the boards! Some subjects are real sore spots on this board. The discussion can get overly emotional and out of hand. However, it is also THE most informative and helpful comic message board I have ever read. You could spend weeks reading through threads on other forums, and all you would learn is that member X hates every comic book ever made by artist Y or writer Z . That, and member X probably hates everyone else on that board too.

Regarding Cal’s posts in this thread - I would agree that someone who is vehemently opposed to the concept of third party grading, slabbing books or just hates CGC as a company is not going to have much to gain or contribute by spending time here. However, I think it's okay and perfectly healthy to disagree with CGC or other members when it comes to certain issues as long as we are able to discuss them in a productive, respectful manner.

The most important thing to remember is that this forum is not a free-speech democracy, and we are CGC's guests here.

Take care,

-Jim

What about the people on here who only post on this board to incite flame wars and to make stupid comments instead of something constructive? or even just post little smilies? sumo.gif

In the past, I have bought/sold/traded/dealt with CGC. I understand and accept their premise. I have even written two articles for their newsletter.

I am also for saving whales, and protecting the rainforest. Wouldn't mind free comics, either.

I would have to say that my ideological views (environmental protection) are far more important to me than the slabbing of comics. Therefore, I probably fit more into the second category than the first, despite the fact that I am not anti-CGC.

Then again, I'm not sure I'm getting the parallel between ideological/political viewpoints and whether or not one has ever slabbed a comic.

I suppose it means I'm one of the undesirables on this forum. Right now, I'm neither buying nor selling comics, and therefore am not utilizing CGC's services. I'm just here because these are my boys.

-- Joanna

Joanna you are taking too much into my words so let me clear a few things up here:

1) I am for saving the whales, trees too. I don't jump on the Weyheuser site and bash their lumber company.

2) that little decriptor I use " save-whales-hug-tree-free-comics" is just a way to express the mindset the anti-CGCers have. Not too much in this but the message.

3) You are NOT the undesirable on this Forum. And it is not up to me anyway. All I am saying that if it WERE up to me( which it is not) I would kick the anti-CGCers right off these Boards. After a few weeks, and reading a lot of posts, I can tell which ones should be kicked right off this Forum.

4) We appreciate you being here for "your boys" and you have never, as far as I have seen, bashed CGC or any of it's users.

And the bottom line is that the anti-CGCers would be more accepted if the trash talk, trolling, and confrontational posts were made into sensible constructive debates. But I will say it as others won't: don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

CAL