• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Is this forum more negative than others

99 posts in this topic

Cal,

My opinion on the boards, and I've mentioned this before, is that although we post here at CGC's grace, for the most part, the threads serve as a rolling focus group, which is of potential benefit to CGC.

See this definition I quickly pulled from the web - ""Focus groups" are small groups selected from a broader population and interviewed through facilitator-led discussions, for opinions and emotional responses about a particular subject. Focus groups are a common market research tool. Results are qualitative and are not statistically significant." Obviously we don't have official CGC faciltators, but we do have plenty of stand-ins who cover tons of topics related to comic collecting and grading. And note the words "emotional responses". The Wizard First thread was one long emotional response. CGC certainly got tons of instantaneous feedback, which has got to be extremely valuable from a future-planning perspective.

As I see it, there are board rules, there are moderators. People go nuts here sometimes (I certainly do........), and if CGC feels someone were crossing the line, they get a strike or get banned. For the sake of self preservation, ya' need to learn not to go for the bait EVERY TIME! And I'm not talking to just you. When I had my little run in with Economo, it was simply about me not liking him referring directly to some of my fellow board members as "tards". Will he be back? Probably. But I think he was an extreme case. And he caught me on a bad day. Just like at the office. The boards can be a microcosm of the local pub or coffeehouse. Somebody can come in torked over something for no rational reason. It could be the alignment of the planets.

Shills are here, trolls are here. They are probably not going away any time soon. The more you react to them, the more amusing a piece of raw meat you are in the shark pool. That will not change. You are never going to out-argue anyone who doesn't care about the results, just enjoys the arguing and getting you into a fluster. Ya got to learn to walk away, or it's an endless loop, leading to a locked thread.

Finally, to divide the board into only two categories is waaaaay too simplistic IMO. I like the CGC service. I like it so much I will give them a very hard time about problems that I see arise with the product or it's marketing. I'm not a dealer. I just think the concept of CGC is brilliant, and I think for the most part their personal integrity is extremely high. And we do THEM a service when we are vocal about things like the Wizard First Program or the whole pressing thing. At least they know exactly how many of us very passionate collectors feel. And if they are smart, and I think they are, they will at least consider those opinions in future.

I think CGC garners itself a lot of good will by hosting the boards. They are not doing it purely out of the goodness of their hearts. I think it's smart business. It's the perfect place for THEM to disseminate information when they need to do it quickly to a core group of intelligent (no snickering) serious collectors. I admire the latitude they give the folks here on the board, and for the most part it is self-policed. We have total freedom to make assses out of ourselves!

To take your analogy of the pen company executive, he would be smart if he could host a place, out of the larger public eye, where someone that really DOES hate his pens can say why......that's great feedback to have. Some of it would be rational, some not. The pure CGC haters who just don't like graded comics, or love CGG (hi RS), end up eventually sounding like crickets chirping in the night. Background noise. That is unless they come up with a really GOOD reason not to like the product and then CGC is the first one to hear about it. Again, good business.

Finally, an attempt to get all board members to be "nice boys" is futile. Not gonna' work. So....we each have to find a way to keep our sanity, have some fun and survive here. We have to learn to pick our battles. Just because someone dangles the hook in front of you does not mean you HAVE to go for it everytime.

Mahatma Redhook

yeah.. what he said... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Cal,

My opinion on the boards, and I've mentioned this before, is that although we post here at CGC's grace, for the most part, the threads serve as a rolling focus group, which is of potential benefit to CGC.

See this definition I quickly pulled from the web - ""Focus groups" are small groups selected from a broader population and interviewed through facilitator-led discussions, for opinions and emotional responses about a particular subject. Focus groups are a common market research tool. Results are qualitative and are not statistically significant." Obviously we don't have official CGC faciltators, but we do have plenty of stand-ins who cover tons of topics related to comic collecting and grading. And note the words "emotional responses". The Wizard First thread was one long emotional response. CGC certainly got tons of instantaneous feedback, which has got to be extremely valuable from a future-planning perspective.

As I see it, there are board rules, there are moderators. People go nuts here sometimes (I certainly do........), and if CGC feels someone were crossing the line, they get a strike or get banned. For the sake of self preservation, ya' need to learn not to go for the bait EVERY TIME! And I'm not talking to just you. When I had my little run in with Economo, it was simply about me not liking him referring directly to some of my fellow board members as "tards". Will he be back? Probably. But I think he was an extreme case. And he caught me on a bad day. Just like at the office. The boards can be a microcosm of the local pub or coffeehouse. Somebody can come in torked over something for no rational reason. It could be the alignment of the planets.

Shills are here, trolls are here. They are probably not going away any time soon. The more you react to them, the more amusing a piece of raw meat you are in the shark pool. That will not change. You are never going to out-argue anyone who doesn't care about the results, just enjoys the arguing and getting you into a fluster. Ya got to learn to walk away, or it's an endless loop, leading to a locked thread.

Finally, to divide the board into only two categories is waaaaay too simplistic IMO. I like the CGC service. I like it so much I will give them a very hard time about problems that I see arise with the product or it's marketing. I'm not a dealer. I just think the concept of CGC is brilliant, and I think for the most part their personal integrity is extremely high. And we do THEM a service when we are vocal about things like the Wizard First Program or the whole pressing thing. At least they know exactly how many of us very passionate collectors feel. And if they are smart, and I think they are, they will at least consider those opinions in future.

I think CGC garners itself a lot of good will by hosting the boards. They are not doing it purely out of the goodness of their hearts. I think it's smart business. It's the perfect place for THEM to disseminate information when they need to do it quickly to a core group of intelligent (no snickering) serious collectors. I admire the latitude they give the folks here on the board, and for the most part it is self-policed. We have total freedom to make assses out of ourselves!

To take your analogy of the pen company executive, he would be smart if he could host a place, out of the larger public eye, where someone that really DOES hate his pens can say why......that's great feedback to have. Some of it would be rational, some not. The pure CGC haters who just don't like graded comics, or love CGG (hi RS), end up eventually sounding like crickets chirping in the night. Background noise. That is unless they come up with a really GOOD reason not to like the product and then CGC is the first one to hear about it. Again, good business.

Finally, an attempt to get all board members to be "nice boys" is futile. Not gonna' work. So....we each have to find a way to keep our sanity, have some fun and survive here. We have to learn to pick our battles. Just because someone dangles the hook in front of you does not mean you HAVE to go for it everytime.

Mahatma Redhook

hi.gif Redhook

RS

Now let the record show that you claim I was registered 06/13/03 - now how could this have occured?

Not sure how this happens. I am simply going by what the board says - right under your name it has the Registered date.

Since it appears you were here once before I apologize for my previous post.

However, it doesn't alter my opinions on the boards themselves. But an apology? Sure.

As promised........

Calman.jpg

I LOVE it!!!!!

The KING of IRON MAN/SUBBY # 1 IS HAPPY! Pay the Noble Redhook a KING'S ransom as his work is fit for this KING! lol

your friend,

CAL thumbsup2.gif

Awesome work.... Red

Cal, does this mean we all know your really Tony Stark now?

And if so... was Pepper a good .. errr..... ummm....... shuffles feet.........looks bashfulllll... was she good in.. umm..errr.... well you know what I mean!

Sure! I always used the analogy of Tony Stark being a Howard R. Hughes type of man, and I guess that is another reason Iron Man is my favorite Comic book hero. I did not know much about HRH as a kid, but I learned quite a bit about him later in life. Tony and Howard are very similar, except Tony liked the bottle and Howard became a victim of prescription medicine.

But how about that Redhook??? His work is so good I had to save a copy on my host site for myself. I already emailed several people and forwarded it to them and now they REALLY think I am out there....lol

CAL

Zeman

And if so... was Pepper a good .. errr..... ummm....... shuffles feet.........looks bashfulllll... was she good in.. umm..errr.... well you know what I mean

Let me just state I married a red-head very much like Pepper. Of course she is great but Tony never kisses and tells. I am sure you understand, but thanx for asking! lol

all in good fun here

CAL

Hey, it was like two guys that are in the 15th round who have been pounding each other from the start, and finally said, what the [!@#%^&^] are we doing this for?

Within the beast that is sometimes Cal, there lies a pussycat that just wants to be loved. Like all the rest of us! 27_laughing.gif

Within the beast that is sometimes Cal, there lies a pussycat that just wants to be loved. Like all the rest of us! 27_laughing.gif

This pussycat hungered for love. When she didn't recieve it she went after the next best thing. tiger.jpg

Now let the record show that you claim I was registered 06/13/03 - now how could this have occured?

Not sure how this happens. I am simply going by what the board says - right under your name it has the Registered date.

Since it appears you were here once before I apologize for my previous post.

However, it doesn't alter my opinions on the boards themselves. But an apology? Sure.

You know, Cal. From my perspective an open apology is at least acknowledged. When you send me a PM about my take on your "registered on" date, and I subsequently issue such apology, an acknowledgement is definitely expected. Four posts by you later and not even an acknowledgement - in PM or in public (public being where I apologized).

Yeah, maybe this forum IS more negative than others.

::edited for the last line which I forgot to include because I didn't think of it until 2 minutes after posting the initial, unedited post.

Of course I accept and acknowledge your posts - just I had to leave and should have made sure you were taken care of properly. So please accept this as my acknowledgement and hope this serves you well! hi.gif

CAL

Of course I accept and acknowledge your posts - just I had to leave and should have made sure you were taken care of properly. So please accept this as my acknowledgement and hope this serves you well! hi.gif

CAL

Why thank you. Most gracious.