• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about CGC Blue Label Signatures.

12 posts in this topic

I'm considering making an offer on a comic that apparently has Stan Lee's signature, but it's not SS Series, nor is it qualified.

The comic appears to be nicer than the assigned grade, which leads me to believe it was graded with a "downgrade" option to avoid the "green label of death."

So my first question is, am I correct in this assumption?

Further more the guy says it was signed at an event and a company called ACE (autograph certification experts) authenticated it. He did not say if they witnessed it and provided the cert on the spot.

My next question is, does a certification from ACE hold water?

Last, for a comic in this situation would you pay anything over fair market value for the assigned grade?

Any chance you have pics or a link to what is being offered for sale?

I think one thing you must consider for yourself is whether or not you will be satisfied with the purchase. If you're considering getting Stan Lee's signature why not - get an already existing SS, or wait for the opportunity to do a book of your choosing?

Any chance you have pics or a link to what is being offered for sale?

I think one thing you must consider for yourself is whether or not you will be satisfied with the purchase. If you're considering getting Stan Lee's signature why not - get an already existing SS, or wait for the opportunity to do a book of your choosing?

Well, if it turns out ACE is reputable I'm satisfied with that. In fact it could be a win for me in a couple of ways.

1: I have a legit Stan Lee signature without paying a premium.

2: If the comic did receive a downgrade (as it appears) from the signature alone I get a nicer comic for the same money.

I'm paranoid. As much as possible if I want something signed I want it on yellow label. If it's green label or not graded, then I'll make sure there's a picture of the exact book that was signed existing or I was the one that got the book signed myself and I just got it graded green. I don't trust certificates much.

By the way, just so you know why I am paranoid and careful with such things I'll tell you a reason why. I am not saying you should be paranoid like me. I'm just giving you my point of view. I learned this from experience.

Let's face it. For one, Stan Lee signatures are easy to forge and replicate.

Certificates are papers.

They can be from trusted sources or no but it's not the point, the next one is.

Let's say I have two Stan Lee signed comics.

One I forged and one original. Very identical.

I sell you the fake one and I just include the certificate to make it look legit.

I keep the original signature. I don't have the certificate anymore but I know it's the original.

I am assuming this is a good example..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-129-CGC-Signed-Stan-Lee-1st-Punisher-/280719096033?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item415c2978e1#ht_837wt_932

No, I wouldn't buy it. It's just me but no..I'd just get an ASM 129 and have Stan sign it for the yellow label or I'll just buy a yellow label. There are lots of ASM 129 out there signed by Stan anyway.

On an unrelated note, I've been watching this one. Do you any of you think this is being shill bid?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=260845184317

It's right at GPA a day before closing at that almost never happens. The two high bids are with accounts with single digit feedback, one of which had never previously bid on a comic.

On an unrelated note, I've been watching this one. Do you any of you think this is being shill bid?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=260845184317

It's right at GPA a day before closing at that almost never happens. The two high bids are with accounts with single digit feedback, one of which had never previously bid on a comic.

I have seen that a lot and have always questioned if the seller has someone helping them raise the price, but cannot never verify it. I guess all I can say is bid with caution and never get carried away, set a price you are willing to pay and stick to it.