• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long should I wait??? - Buyer disclosed

117 posts in this topic

I have a "Board Etiquette" question...

In early June I made a deal to sell a fellow boardie a nice copy of Amazing Spiderman 129. The buyer asked if I would be willing to do time payments with a pay-off date of September 1st. The total was just under $400. I agreed to the Sept 1st pay-off. The buyer offered to make small payments along the way, but since it was only a few hundred dollars, I said I would prefer 1 lump payment on or before the target date. They agreed and said it would probably be paid off before then. On August 30th. I PM'ed the buyer with a reminder that Sept 1st will be here soon. The buyer read the PM, but did not reply. I sent another PM yesterday telling the buyer to LMK whats going on before Sunday (today) because I was starting some new Ebay auctions Sunday night. A higher grade Spidey 129 would help boost the traffic to my other books for sale. The buyer read the PM, and still no response. Not even a "I'll LYK"

With today being the 4th, would I be wrong to back out of the deal and add it to my listings tonight?? I have a decent rep on these boards (I think lol ), and dont want to tarnish it.

Here's the probie rules and your clock only just started according to 1 b) however lack of communication/response is always frowned upon here - just sell it and cover your azz via PM's in case there's a probation nomination against you for selling it out from under him before "his 30 days to pay" are up. lol

1) The 30-Day Rule

a) If a transaction between board members is not completed within 30 days, the offended party may submit the offender's name for inclusion to the HOS/Probation List (hereafter called the PL)

b) If the transaction is agreed on by both parties to take longer than 30 days - for example, a transaction involving time payments over a longer time, the 30 day clock begins from the time the agreed upon conditions were violated.

c) The 30-day rule is suspended if the accused refuses to complete the transaction or if the transaction cannot be completed due to, for example, the item being sold to someone else.

Here's the probie rules and your clock only just started according to 1 b) however lack of communication/response is always frowned upon here - just sell it and cover your azz via PM's in case there's a probation nomination against you for selling it out from under him before "his 30 days to pay" are up. lol

1) The 30-Day Rule

a) If a transaction between board members is not completed within 30 days, the offended party may submit the offender's name for inclusion to the HOS/Probation List (hereafter called the PL)

b) If the transaction is agreed on by both parties to take longer than 30 days - for example, a transaction involving time payments over a longer time, the 30 day clock begins from the time the agreed upon conditions were violated.

c) The 30-day rule is suspended if the accused refuses to complete the transaction or if the transaction cannot be completed due to, for example, the item being sold to someone else.

[/quote

Thanks for the info. I'd hate to be put on probation over a few hundred dollars. The part that bothers me is that I agree to wait 3 months, and now I dont even get a response.

BTW - Love the Gary Puppet.. and "F Jackie" lol

I would think a week past the agreed upon date would be sufficient, with 3 or 4 PMs along the way...

In consideration of the storms that part of the country has experienced recently, you may want to wait longer, if he's located in one of those areas...perhaps he has no or limited internet access, and other things on his mind at the moment...

I would think a week past the agreed upon date would be sufficient, with 3 or 4 PMs along the way...

In consideration of the storms that part of the country has experienced recently, you may want to wait longer, if he's located in one of those areas...perhaps he has no or limited internet access, and other things on his mind at the moment...

+1. It's been 4 days since you sent him your first pm. He may not go on the boards everyday or there could be something going on. Give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

+1. It's been 4 days since you sent him your first pm. He may not go on the boards everyday or there could be something going on. Give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks - I am trying to, but all PM's have been read with no response. Thats what I dont understand.. why not take 2 seconds to give some sort of response?

The buyer has been on the boards, has read the emails, and has stuck it up your donkey.

I guess, to adhere to the probabtion rules you have you wait an additional 30 days, but that seems overly generous considering the circumstances.

1. If he is not responding, I agree give one more shot and feel free to sell the book.

2. I probably wouldn't put the guy on the probation list - today or a month from now - but you may feel that it deserves that.

Buyer quit responding, so I just moved on. I didn't want the hassle of feeling like I was forcing him to buy a book or of being the reason boardies are giving him . He may have changed his mind or had changed circumstances. I figure the worst is I'll sell it for a few bucks less or I could end up a few bucks richer.

You have given them plenty of time to pay and for them to respond and let you know whats going on. They have read both PM's sent at different dates so IMO do as you please and nominate them. They have failed to hold up their end of the deal and you have been MORE than accommodating offering time payments and they have yet to return the favour with a simple msg saying hey can you wait like a week longer or anything just ignored you by not replying to your msg.

Just to be sure, did you send him a new PM or did you reuse the previous one? Send him a unique new one because if he's removed himself from the PM thread then it will show immediately read.

It was the same thread, but he has not removed himself yet. I can see the latest one is not read yet.

I find it interesting that many tell you to violate the stated and posted board rules here.

And then, in other threads, many state their own made up rules as supposed fact regarding the :takeit: icon and PMs, etc.

This is a strange place.

This is a perfect example of why you should have taken the offered small payments. Had he had money invested in this book, he'd be much more likely to follow thru. Next time, get a deposit. It helps avoid these sort of situations.

1. If he is not responding, I agree give one more shot and feel free to sell the book.

2. I probably wouldn't put the guy on the probation list - today or a month from now - but you may feel that it deserves that.

But then you would have to wait a month as per the rules.

IMO, sell the book and move on, the guy has had 2 month to pay and is now ignoring you.

Add him to your sheetlist and move on....

I see the rule, but with no communication from the buyer to let the 1st come and go, is poor form at best. I guess rules are rules, but arrangements require communication if one's end of the deal can't be upheld...for whatever reason...

Thing is if the seller moves on, it actually saves the would-be buyer from an automatic probation if they truly intend not to follow through on the deal...in this sense, the rule is a bit unfair as it overly protects the "buyer"... 2c

Ultimatum email, give him until this evening to respond to the question "do you intend to complete this transaction?" If he has time to read he has time to type Y or N.

I agree! - I did tell the buyer that I certainly dont want to force the book on him, just want to know if he lost interest and wants to back out