• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long should I wait??? - Buyer disclosed

117 posts in this topic

I would think a week past the agreed upon date would be sufficient, with 3 or 4 PMs along the way...

In consideration of the storms that part of the country has experienced recently, you may want to wait longer, if he's located in one of those areas...perhaps he has no or limited internet access, and other things on his mind at the moment...

+1. It's been 4 days since you sent him your first pm. He may not go on the boards everyday or there could be something going on. Give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks - I am trying to, but all PM's have been read with no response. Thats what I dont understand.. why not take 2 seconds to give some sort of response?

Because "unread by: none" is da debil.

Sometimes, messages on Iphones and such devices show as "read" when in actuality, they are not. That's why the 30 day rule is in place. The board assumes that's enough time to get your act together, unless you've died.

You're stuck waiting 30 days. :)

I would think a week past the agreed upon date would be sufficient, with 3 or 4 PMs along the way...

In consideration of the storms that part of the country has experienced recently, you may want to wait longer, if he's located in one of those areas...perhaps he has no or limited internet access, and other things on his mind at the moment...

+1. It's been 4 days since you sent him your first pm. He may not go on the boards everyday or there could be something going on. Give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks - I am trying to, but all PM's have been read with no response. Thats what I dont understand.. why not take 2 seconds to give some sort of response?

Sometimes, messages on Iphones and such devices show as "read" when in actuality, they are not. That's why the 30 day rule is in place. The board assumes that's enough time to get your act together, unless you've died.

Why would he be stuck waiting 30 days??

They had a deal that gave the buyer a set amount of time to pay, with the deadline at Sept 1. He didn't pay. The seller can do as he pleases.

If someone started a thread to sell a book & said payment needed by midnight, if payment is not made by midnight then the deal is off. No need to wait 30 days to resell the book.

Why the need to make this more difficult than it should be?

Because those are the rules for being placed on the probation list, for both buyer and seller.

If the seller says "screw it", which he has the right to do, he risks (a small one, no doubt) being put on the probation list himself. If he waits, then the buyer will be put on the probation list.

If neither party cares about the probation list, or the consequences that may result thereof, then he is under no obligation, and may dispose of it as he sees fit.

That's why.

They had a deal that gave the buyer a set amount of time to pay, with the deadline at Sept 1. He didn't pay. The seller can do as he pleases.

If someone started a thread to sell a book & said payment needed by midnight, if payment is not made by midnight then the deal is off. No need to wait 30 days to resell the book.

Because this community, in one of the few things it does well AS a community, seeks to protect buyers and sellers in transactions. That has resulted in a list of fairly straightforward rules about what is, and is not, expected to remain a member in good standing within the buying and selling framework.

If you are unaware of these rules, a quick visit here will explain all:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4949997#Post4949997

Just so you understand: no one is bound by these rules, UNLESS they wish to remain a member of good standing within the buying and selling framework of this community.

1) The 30-Day Rule

a) If a transaction between board members is not completed within 30 days, the offended party may submit the offender's name for inclusion to the HOS/Probation List (hereafter called the PL)

b) If the transaction is agreed on by both parties to take longer than 30 days - for example, a transaction involving time payments over a longer time, the 30 day clock begins from the time the agreed upon conditions were violated.

c) The 30-day rule is suspended if the accused refuses to complete the transaction or if the transaction cannot be completed due to, for example, the item being sold to someone else.

According to C, yes.

Because those are the rules for being placed on the probation list, for both buyer and seller.

If the seller says "screw it", which he has the right to do, he risks (a small one, no doubt) being put on the probation list himself. If he waits, then the buyer will be put on the probation list.

If neither party cares about the probation list, or the consequences that may result thereof, then he is under no obligation, and may dispose of it as he sees fit.

That's why.

Because this community, in one of the few things it does well AS a community, seeks to protect buyers and sellers in transactions. That has resulted in a list of fairly straightforward rules about what is, and is not, expected to remain a member in good standing within the buying and selling framework.

If you are unaware of these rules, a quick visit here will explain all:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4949997#Post4949997

Just so you understand: no one is bound by these rules, UNLESS they wish to remain a member of good standing within the buying and selling framework of this community.

Straight forward??!?

Your link takes me to some type of probation rules that were added a few weeks ago by some type of self appointed Congressional Probation Committee. What does that have to do with Spider-Dan reselling a book that was defaulted on? He didn't even mention putting the boardie on probation in his original post, just that he needed to sell a book that he had been awaiting payment on for a few months.

So...Dan has a book that he needs to sell to say, pay his rent. Doesn't matter that a date was agreed upon. Dan now needs to wait another 30 days to sell his book? Dan hasn't broken any of our Selling Rules and since he isn't requesting probation, what would the probation rules have to do with it?

The buyer is going to report Dan? Yeah, I wanted that book, missed the deadline after 2 months & ignored multiple PM's. Put Dan on the probation list please.

Come on RMA, even you can realize how ridiculous that is.

The buyer PM'd back and said he cant swing it. Is he now eligable for the probation list??

Yes

If someone makes the commitment to buy something and they make you wait 3 months...then they back out...they need to be called out for it.

When I make a commitment to buy something from someone here I place the highest importance on making sure it gets paid.

For example Dan, if I made you wait a month for the TOS I just committed to buy and then said, sorry I can't swing it...I'd expect to be held accountable for it.

I realize things happen and finances can change but that doesn't take away the fact you waited a long time and could have needed that money also.

I'd out the person. I wouldn't want them to commit to buy something from me and then do that to me.

Just my opinion

My whole intention was to find out if I was in the right (according to Board rules) to back out and list this book with other books on Ebay tonight. Since the buyer finally responded, I see that I can.

Now the next question is.. Since the buyer made me hold the book for almost 90 days (not 60 like a few of you have stated) should he be put on the Probation list to let my fellow boardies know to watch out for this buyer. Im not that upset about the deal falling through, but I feel somewhat obligated to warn fellow boardies.

The buyer PM'd back and said he cant swing it. Is he now eligable for the probation list??

Yes

If someone makes the commitment to buy something and they make you wait 3 months...then they back out...they need to be called out for it.

When I make a commitment to buy something from someone here I place the highest importance on making sure it gets paid.

For example Dan, if I made you wait a month for the TOS I just committed to buy and then said, sorry I can't swing it...I'd expect to be held accountable for it.

I realize things happen and finances can change but that doesn't take away the fact you waited a long time and could have needed that money also.

I'd out the person. I wouldn't want them to commit to buy something from me and then do that to me.

Just my opinion

My whole intention was to find out if I was in the right (according to Board rules) to back out and list this book with other books on Ebay tonight. Since the buyer finally responded, I see that I can.

Now the next question is.. Since the buyer made me hold the book for almost 90 days (not 60 like a few of you have stated) should he be put on the Probation list to let my fellow boardies know to watch out for this buyer. Im not that upset about the deal falling through, but I feel somewhat obligated to warn fellow boardies.

Yes. That's absurd to string you along like that.

Straight forward??!?

Your link takes me to some type of probation rules that were added a few weeks ago by some type of self appointed Congressional Probation Committee. What does that have to do with Spider-Dan reselling a book that was defaulted on? He didn't even mention putting the boardie on probation in his original post, just that he needed to sell a book that he had been awaiting payment on for a few months.

So...Dan has a book that he needs to sell to say, pay his rent. Doesn't matter that a date was agreed upon. Dan now needs to wait another 30 days to sell his book? Dan hasn't broken any of our Selling Rules and since he isn't requesting probation, what would the probation rules have to do with it?

The buyer is going to report Dan? Yeah, I wanted that book, missed the deadline after 2 months & ignored multiple PM's. Put Dan on the probation list please.

Come on RMA, even you can realize how ridiculous that is.

Calm down, please. There is no need to be insulting. It's not only NOT "ridiculous", it's simple due process.

I'm sorry that you don't seem to understand the rules, but they remain the rules for a reason. They have been hammered out for years, discussed, debated, worked over.

The facts are very straightforward: if the buyer had said "I just need more time to pay", the probation rules state that 30 days are to be allowed. If Dan had then said "too bad, so sad", then yes, Dan...per the rules...would have been eligible himself for the probation list. Those are the rules as they pertain to the probation list.

This is all very simple, clear, and not difficult to understand at all.

Spider-Dan asked for advice. It was given to him. Please pay attention to this: Dan is not obligated to follow board rules regarding the probation list. If he chooses not to, there are potential consequences. Those consequences aren't a big deal (or any deal at all) to many, many people already there. IF Spider-Dan cares, then it's important. IF he does not, then it matters not at all.

All clear?