• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the consensus on Metros grading ?

60 posts in this topic

I've noticed quite a few books on their site that look interesting.... and not one of em is slabbed. They of course have grades listed next to the books, but I'm wondering how their grades compare with the grades I might get if I send them into CGC for slabbing ? I have no ill feelings towards Metro, but just wonder if they are both on the same page.... or even close.

Thanks, in advance for the input.

I've noticed quite a few books on their site that look interesting.... and not one of em is slabbed. They of course have grades listed next to the books, but I'm wondering how their grades compare with the grades I might get if I send them into CGC for slabbing ? I have no ill feelings towards Metro, but just wonder if they are both on the same page.... or even close.

I have found Metro's grading to be very consistant. I have had some books grade .5 higher, some grade the same and maybe one that graded .5 under. When purchasing a raw book from them, I always ask for a back cover scan, and decide if I agree with the given grade.

I have found Metro's grading to be very consistant. I have had some books grade .5 higher, some grade the same and maybe one that graded .5 under. When purchasing a raw book from them, I always ask for a back cover scan, and decide if I agree with the given grade.

+1. At times they may miss something but they always take care of it. Their customer service is as good as it gets. Never dealt with Stephen but Vincent, Frank and all the others are fantastic. Especially the guys in their shipping department. Very professional.

Thx for the input. I am aware that a half grade up or down is pretty consistent amoung collectors ( just look at the range of grades in the last two grading contests). Still, if you are gonna drop more than a grand, its good to be "in the ballpark". I'll put my search engines to work around the boards before I commit

If you are going to shoot this is your best shot , but why play the guessing game to save 10% or something, my buying experience was right on but will only but small books under $100.

I've read this in twenty differnt ways Mitch, and still can't figure out what word you got "the spoon" for using lol

Bought this last year as a raw 6.0...

action47.jpg

How funny that that guy ( Lex ?) didn't get his back broken when slamming into that wall lol

Nice mid ranger book (thumbs u

Bought this last year as a raw 6.0...

action47.jpg

How funny that that guy ( Lex ?) didn't get his back broken when slamming into that wall lol

Nice mid ranger book (thumbs u

:gossip: He has the Powerstone

The last few books that I bought from Metro came out overgraded compared to the grade that CGC gave. So I will definitely just buy books that are already CGCed on their website unless the book is a pedigree copy. I haven't found a dealer yet who hasn't overgraded their raw books compared to the grades that CGC gave. I would definitely err on the side of caution!

Grading is subective so like any dealer sometimes they are consistent with CGC sometimes worse and sometimes better.

This will also be dependent on how CGC is grading in a particular period as well.

I bought 10 unrestored pre-hero Tecs raw from Metro a while back and if I remember correctly when I had then CGC'd:

6 = CGC

2 were graded 0.5 higher by CGC

1 was graded 0.5 lower by CGC

1 was graded 1.0 lower by CGC

All were unrestored in CGC's opinion.

When buying raw from a dealer whoses grading I am comfortable I generallly apply the following test:

Would I be happy with the price I paid if the book was graded 0.5 lower by CGC.