• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man Has Over $5000 Worth Of Superman Comics And Memorabilia Stolen

89 posts in this topic

:mad:

I work with people with mental and developmental disabilities and I can say that this population gets taken advantage of very frequently with their cash, SSI benefits, checking accounts, food, housing, special collectibles, etc. It really hits home when I read about stuff like this happening elsewhere. To some of my folks, for example, their collections are all they have and they hold dear to them (hotwheels, comics, toys, etc.). Real scum to do such a thing.

Didn't realize this guy was mentally disabled until the second article. So whoever is putting together comics for him let me know. I will put a WTB in the forums and buy some superman comics this weekend and have them shipped to whoever is running this.

I could say that I thought we've had Gary on here before, as his obvious good character and unassailable ethical propriety seems familiar. Then I realised the comparison only makes Gary look not nearly as unpleasant, and that's not in the best interests of the victim, so I won't

Thanks, Transplant, for offering.

I just got off the phone with Mike's friend who alerted St. Louis Today about the theft. I was told that he lost long runs of Superman and Action -- not in the best of condition, but cherished nonetheless. The thief also took several statues and action figures still in the blister pack.

I will send out a PM to all those who have asked with the friend's information so that you can send directly to him, and he'll make sure to pass it on to Mike. Whoever you choose to send it to, I'm sure it'll feel like Christmas to Mike every time he gets another box of comics or anything else Superman you would like to send his way :D

One thing we may want to do is make sure we coordinate with each other. I have some bronze/copper/modern books to send and I know aszumilo posted that he had the same. It would be great for him to get so many books, but the last thing anyone needs is multiple copies of John Byrne's Superman reboot.

So anyone else who has bronze/copper/modern books to donate, send me a PM and tomorrow night (I can't access the boards at work) I'll create a group email so we can make sure we each give him something unique.

If Book Maestro, Transplant, or anyone has some publicly postable info/address on how people can help Mike out I think that'd be useful. I know some posters in the Bleeding Cool forum were expressing interest about helping out as well, and I just noticed there's a facebook page set up to help him too.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveSuperman

I also have some copper/modern books I can donate.

One thing we may want to do is make sure we coordinate with each other. I have some bronze/copper/modern books to send and I know aszumilo posted that he had the same. It would be great for him to get so many books, but the last thing anyone needs is multiple copies of John Byrne's Superman reboot.

So anyone else who has bronze/copper/modern books to donate, send me an email and tomorrow night (I can't access the boards at work) I'll create a group email so we can make sure we each give him something unique.

I have a bunch of what people have already spoken about - Sups., Action, Adv. of Sup, Man of Steel, etc. from that age range (copper to modern). I also have a couple of superman heroclix and action figures still in the package (not the greatest condition though) that I would gladly contribute.

I have a cousin that has lived almost his entire life in either residential group homes and/or institutions and has had many many items stolen. His two most beloved were some original star wars items and his coca cola lava lamp - it's truly sick and just the thought of all this bull sh*t will keep me up tonight...

Great thread you start OP! kudos to you for taking the time to do so!