• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1

30 posts in this topic

Always wanted this comic but don't see why it's 3x to 5x more than a Captain America 1 or Batman 1. Captain America 1 features the 1st appearance of

a major comic book hero and should be worth more than both Superman 1 and

Batman 1. Batman 1 does feature one of the best villains of all time The Joker

and Catwoman. Superman 1 features the origin of Superman but really imo

is overpriced when compared to the other 2 comic books.

Many more unrestored copies floating around of Cap 1 & Batman 1. Great demand and not enough copies to satisfy it equals high prices

Yep.

Batman #1 = 65 blue label copies

Captain America #1 = 53 blue label copies

Superman #1 = 31 blue label copies

Many more unrestored copies floating around of Cap 1 & Batman 1. Great demand and not enough copies to satisfy it equals high prices

Yep.

Batman #1 = 65 blue label copies

Captain America #1 = 53 blue label copies

Superman #1 = 31 blue label copies

exactly, so many Supes #1 were restored all through out the 80s-90s.

Always wanted this comic but don't see why it's 3x to 5x more than a Captain America 1 or Batman 1. Captain America 1 features the 1st appearance of

a major comic book hero and should be worth more than both Superman 1 and

Batman 1. Batman 1 does feature one of the best villains of all time The Joker

and Catwoman. Superman 1 features the origin of Superman but really imo

is overpriced when compared to the other 2 comic books.

+1

Supply and Demand. Superman 1 is scarcer than the other two. Remember that Superman 1 came out in 1939, Batman 1 in 1940, and Captain America 1 in 1941. In general, 1939 books are much scarcer than 1940 and 1941 books, and I think it holds true in this case. I think the demand for Superman 1 is the highest too, although Batman 1 might be close.

Superman 1 - 31 Blue, 1 Green, 59 Purple = 91 Total

Batman 1 - 65 Blue, 3 Green, 88 Purple = 156 Total

Captain America 1 - 53 Blue, 2 Green, 2 Yellow, 57 Purple = 114 Total

Here's my Superman 1, just purchased this year. I had considered going after Batman 1, Cap 1, and some others too, but ultimately decided this was my favorite.

Superman1CGCF60r.jpg

Supply and Demand. Superman 1 is scarcer than the other two. Remember that Superman 1 came out in 1939, Batman 1 in 1940, and Captain America 1 in 1941. In general, 1939 books are much scarcer than 1940 and 1941 books, and I think it holds true in this case. I think the demand for Superman 1 is the highest too, although Batman 1 might be close.

Here's my Superman 1, just purchased this year. I had considered going after Batman 1, Cap 1, and some others too, but ultimately decided this was my favorite.

Superman1CGCF60r.jpg

(worship)

That is a very nice copy

Superman1CGCF60r.jpg

(

worship)

That is a very nice copy

For sure! :applause:

Also, don't forget Superman 1 was the first comic book devoted to a single character superhero. It's a pretty important book.

Fixed.

lol What came first, Skippy's Own Book of Comics?

Yep. And, looking just at DC, the single character Mutt & Jeff 1 came out the same time as Superman 1.

Superman 1 is also not the first comic book devoted to a single superhero comprised of original material as it was reprints. I'm not sure what the first single superhero character all original comic book was -- maybe Superman 2?

Also, don't forget Superman 1 was the first comic book devoted to a single character superhero. It's a pretty important book.

Fixed.

lol What came first, Skippy's Own Book of Comics?

Yep. And, looking just at DC, the single character Mutt & Jeff 1 came out the same time as Superman 1.

Superman 1 is also not the first comic book devoted to a single superhero comprised of original material as it was reprints. I'm not sure what the first single superhero character all original comic book was -- maybe Superman 2?

Superman 1 has a few pages of new or re-worked material, but you're right, mostly it's reprints of the Superman stories from Action 1-4. Superman 3 has the Action 5-6 stories. I think Superman 2 consisted of newspaper strips re-worked to fit the comic book page.

Was the Skippy book newsstrip reprints?