• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Comic Shop To Boycott Action Comics

140 posts in this topic

That's very sad. The guy can sell whatever he wants, though. I'd recommend boycotting his store. I wonder how much business he can afford to lose.

Wow, is this really something worth boycotting the store over? It is a guy standing on his convictions. You should boycott anyone that you disagree with then.

Sure. Why not? There's more than one place to buy comics, anyway.

That's very sad. The guy can sell whatever he wants, though. I'd recommend boycotting his store. I wonder how much business he can afford to lose.

Since he's made the news, and since comic shops are generally going out of business anyway,

he has created a situation where he can now go out of business due to poor sales

and forever feel persecuted and justified for standing up for his beliefs,

talking about the day he had to close down his store until he's dead.

There's nothing humble people enjoy more than telling everyone how their humility makes a difference in the world.

I bet you're right.

I'm at work and on an iPad so this will be brief, riddled with errors and half cogent. Most of you won't notice the difference. lol

Grant Morrison is no one's fool. He's a mystic gnostic magician so by definition, he knows theology, history and linguistics very, very well. He knows, for example, that Superman was created by two Jewish men in the vein of a Mosaic (not Messianic) figure. He knows that even Superman's name bears a resemblance to the Judeo/Chrisitan god of the bible. "El" appears in many forms of the name of God of the Torah/Old Testament.

El Shadai

El Adonai

Emmanuel

Even names of some of the prophets

Daniel

Joel

Etc. You get the point.

Jor-el

Kal-el

Morrison knows all of this. And he knows his history, again, theologically as well as comically. So to suggest that Grant Morrison didn't intend double meaninged, layered interpretations of the quoted "GD" to get a reaction is absurd. This is a man who master aged maniacally to get the spirit of the age to bless The Invisibles (if I am misremembering that correctly).

It's quite clever, and completely in the realm of plausible deniability.

To a devout, Orthodox Jew, "G-d" would be how one writes the name of God. A sign of respect, by not writing the entire word out.

To a devout Chrisitan, the "GD" is offensive because it suggests the curse that is more profound than any other. This also applies to a devout Jew. But it's subtle. It could simply mean, "God".

To a secularist, an atheist, a humanist, this means nothing, and to those in this group with little or no sense of the meaning of sacred and profane words, this means nothing. They wonder aloud, some in bigoted language, how anyone could possibly be offended by such talk.

Grant Morrison is a clever, clever man who finds things I find sacred to be profane, and things I find profane to be sacred. He and I agree on very little, and I promise you, if he is aware of this news article or this thread, he is very satisfied with himself right now.

This news article means nothing to many people reading it, likewise this thread. But I assure, I commend this store owner for defending his faith in the best way he knows how. Is he a perfect example of a follower of Christ? Unlikely. No more than myself.

For the man who believes in nothing, it can be difficult to understand the man who would die for his beliefs. Heaven forbid we treat religious beliefs on these boards with the same dignity as love of DC versus Marvel, Golden Age comics versus Coppers, sexual orientation, gender, regionalism or any other self-defining status.

I am unable to proofreader this post. Please forgive any errors of thought or grammar.

God save the Queen.

Those observations are astute and enlightening for sure. Thank you. I hope you don't mean that anyone who doesn't believe in God must believe in nothing, though.

As a Christian, I think its great that the comic shop owner is standing up for his beliefs. At the same time, I'm disappointed in the shop owner because of his less than tactful way of handling Grant Morrison as a person. The name calling should have never happened.

Sin is sin, whether you are taking the Lord's name in vain or calling someone a schmuck. Christians struggle everyday to move beyond the hypocrisy we have to deal with. The shop owner had a great opportunity to express his faith in a positive, rewarding manner but instead chose to spout his opinion of Morrison as a person.

From my perspective, that is disappointing.

As a Christian, I think its great that the comic shop owner is standing up for his beliefs. At the same time, I'm disappointed in the shop owner because of his less than tactful way of handling Grant Morrison as a person. The name calling should have never happened.

I'm in accord with much of what you say here.

I just thought that he would boycott it for the stupid storyline for Superman: "Reinvented as a social crusader, targeting big businesses that exploit their workers" rather than the implied language.

That was my 1st thought too. Certainly has the cringe-factor.

I'm guessing Superman is toast. Many American icons are being re-framed in media, so don't know why Superman would be the exception. (shrug)

I wonder if Superman will become too political to even discuss here. Some 'al gore from krypton' spazzing over The Evil that is western civilization. lol:screwy:

:news: [font:Arial Black] UPDATE! [/font] :news:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/09/grant-morrison-responds-to-gd-gate/

Yesterday, Bleeding Cool ran a story about a North Carolina comic store, The Comics Conspiracy, that has announced it was boycotting Action Comics and all Grant Morrison comic books because in Action Comics #1, Superman says “GD”. And he saw that as offensive to his Christian faith.

The owner did confess to selling Avatar’s Crossed, but said Action Comics #1 was a step too far, which led to above piece posted to Reddit. He contined to post;

First and foremost, I want to make a formal apology to Grant Morrison. I made a statement in anger after reading the issue in question after the store closed on Wednesday. Mr. Morrison, I most humbly apologize for calling you a “Scottish schmuck”, I was way out of line. This is a true heartfelt apology.

For right now though, I have to admit that the can of worms that has been opened is much larger than I ever dreamed it would be. But that’s OK. There are a lot of interesting views here mixed in among the hate. The bottom line is that nobody but Grant Morrison knows the TRUE intent behind the GD letters. This issue could be easily resolved by a simple post from either Mr. Morrison or the editors at DC Comics.

He asks, he gets an answer. Grant Morrison has replied on DC’s website saying;

“It should go without saying that the offending panel and caption, a mere ‘GD’, is a sound effect grunt – to suggest Superman’s breath being forced through gritted teeth – much like ‘DHH’, ‘GNUHH’ or the many others used throughout this book and in general in the comics business. It’s not in any way representative of God or a curse.”

It’s “gay Beast” all over again isn’t it?

UPDATE: The retailer has responded;

Thank you Grant Morrison. The boycott is lifted. Once again my apologies to Grant for the unwarranted name calling. Thank you to those who supported my stance. To those who didn’t… I respect your opinions. To those who only posted to bash Christians and people with opinions different from yours… grow up and get a life.

Um… didn’t much of those original posts concern bashing people with onions different from yours?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Nice to hear that Morrison responded.

Nice to see the store owner's reply.

Not so nice to see the vitriol in this thread.

Gold,

I thought better about my replies to you. I was very clear in my initial comment, and I feel that you misunderstood and misquoted me, but for the life of me, I can't see myself continuing this.

All the best to you.

:news: [font:Arial Black] UPDATE! [/font] :news:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/09/grant-morrison-responds-to-gd-gate/

Yesterday, Bleeding Cool ran a story about a North Carolina comic store, The Comics Conspiracy, that has announced it was boycotting Action Comics and all Grant Morrison comic books because in Action Comics #1, Superman says “GD”. And he saw that as offensive to his Christian faith.

The owner did confess to selling Avatar’s Crossed, but said Action Comics #1 was a step too far, which led to above piece posted to Reddit. He contined to post;

First and foremost, I want to make a formal apology to Grant Morrison. I made a statement in anger after reading the issue in question after the store closed on Wednesday. Mr. Morrison, I most humbly apologize for calling you a “Scottish schmuck”, I was way out of line. This is a true heartfelt apology.

For right now though, I have to admit that the can of worms that has been opened is much larger than I ever dreamed it would be. But that’s OK. There are a lot of interesting views here mixed in among the hate. The bottom line is that nobody but Grant Morrison knows the TRUE intent behind the GD letters. This issue could be easily resolved by a simple post from either Mr. Morrison or the editors at DC Comics.

He asks, he gets an answer. Grant Morrison has replied on DC’s website saying;

“It should go without saying that the offending panel and caption, a mere ‘GD’, is a sound effect grunt – to suggest Superman’s breath being forced through gritted teeth – much like ‘DHH’, ‘GNUHH’ or the many others used throughout this book and in general in the comics business. It’s not in any way representative of God or a curse.”

It’s “gay Beast” all over again isn’t it?

UPDATE: The retailer has responded;

Thank you Grant Morrison. The boycott is lifted. Once again my apologies to Grant for the unwarranted name calling. Thank you to those who supported my stance. To those who didn’t… I respect your opinions. To those who only posted to bash Christians and people with opinions different from yours… grow up and get a life.

Um… didn’t much of those original posts concern bashing people with onions different from yours?

The shop owner was right to apologize but he should be thanking Grant Morrison even more for throwing him a lifeline and bailing both of them out of this mess. He should also probably not slam people in the same apology. doh!

I don't really buy the sound effect thing but in the grand scheme of things, there are bigger things to be concerned about. Such is life.

How does anyone get "" out of that panel? It looks to me more like a phonetic representation of getting the wind knocked out of you.

:acclaim:

Gold,

I thought better about my replies to you. I was very clear in my initial comment, and I feel that you misunderstood and misquoted me, but for the life of me, I can't see myself continuing this.

All the best to you.

Misunderstood? Misquoted? I thought I was vindicated just then by the store owner and Grant Morrison's words. Ah well...

I say very smart on GM's part.

GD= more $ in issues sold.

It is a bout time that pansy Superman started acting like he should.

Gold,

All the best to you.

Misunderstood? Misquoted? I thought I was vindicated just then by the store owner and Grant Morrison's words. Ah well...

No my friend, not that- This was indeed nothing more than a tempest in a teapot, but on your understanding of what I wrote.

I get tired of reposting what I posted the first time. I think you misspoke for me, but I have no energy for a weekend "he said, he said" thread.

More clear?