• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC52 reduced reading level reminds me of the show can you beat a Fifth Grader

62 posts in this topic

I purchased digital copies of Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #1, Justice League #1, Justice League International #1, and Stormwatch #1 so far.

Detective Comics was the most interesting. Action Comics #1 was the most annoying as it seemed to be more the adventures of Smallville/Superboy instead of Superman.

Poor Supes the reviews are not looking good.

Action Comics #1 was the most annoying as it seemed to be more the adventures of Smallville/Superboy instead of Superman.

Exactly what I thought. The epic feel of a Superman story was totally absent.

I was sure Tom Welling was going to show up.... oh right he did :devil:

I think comics are too short of a read as well. Except for Robert Kirkmam books, those always seem to be a longer read. I usually read every comic twice, and I have to remind myself to slow down and "read" the artwork.

The thing I notice about moderns compared to other ages is that narration is no longer used at all. All of the story moves along through either dialogue or the art. I don't know if the comic companies thought it was too hoakey or what, but I find books that use narration and words like "meanwhile" or "later that evening at the batcave" tend to have better flow and feel more complete.

In the silver age you had a narrator explaining what the hero was thinking or what they were doing, which led to longer read. Today those same things are shown through the art or dialogue, which is why you get some pretty crappy dialogue sometimes. It's great to have all that beautiful art and storytelling through that, but it makes for a quick read if you don't stop to "read" the art.

Tons of great points in this thread, including the above. I blew through JL 1 in about seven minutes and was left thinking, "That's it?" Read a silver age JIM or early Spider-Man and the Lee/Kirby or Lee/Ditko -script and art are just so detailed that you really have some meat to chew on. Today's books, not so much.

Of course, I had stopped buying new books around '91 and admittedly, after avoiding past comic "events" that got mainstream media coverage over the past 20 years (death of Captain America, death of the Human Torch, etc.), I was lured into buying some of the "New 52" despite my better judgment. I totally agree with most posters here - thought Action 1 was really dreadful - bad art, poor flow, cliché dialogue (Luthor being especially terrible - a real paint-by-numbers "re-imagining" of him), and yes, Superman looks like Superboy, or perhaps a character who could hang out in Riverdale with Archie and the gang. Someone should get Rags Morales some silver/copper Supes books featuring the classic art of Curt Swan, but then again I guess those depictions wouldn't really fly with the apparent tween-teen demo DC is targeting with this title. Needless to say I won't be buying issue No. 2.

On the other hand, 'Tec 1 was indeed expectedly dark and grim. I know nothing of the talent handling that title but I probably will check out what comes next, at least for a little while.

I think comics are too short of a read as well. Except for Robert Kirkmam books, those always seem to be a longer read. I usually read every comic twice, and I have to remind myself to slow down and "read" the artwork.

The thing I notice about moderns compared to other ages is that narration is no longer used at all. All of the story moves along through either dialogue or the art. I don't know if the comic companies thought it was too hoakey or what, but I find books that use narration and words like "meanwhile" or "later that evening at the batcave" tend to have better flow and feel more complete.

In the silver age you had a narrator explaining what the hero was thinking or what they were doing, which led to longer read. Today those same things are shown through the art or dialogue, which is why you get some pretty crappy dialogue sometimes. It's great to have all that beautiful art and storytelling through that, but it makes for a quick read if you don't stop to "read" the art.

Tons of great points in this thread, including the above. I blew through JL 1 in about seven minutes and was left thinking, "That's it?" Read a silver age JIM or early Spider-Man and the Lee/Kirby or Lee/Ditko -script and art are just so detailed that you really have some meat to chew on. Today's books, not so much.

Of course, I had stopped buying new books around '91 and admittedly, after avoiding past comic "events" that got mainstream media coverage over the past 20 years (death of Captain America, death of the Human Torch, etc.), I was lured into buying some of the "New 52" despite my better judgment. I totally agree with most posters here - thought Action 1 was really dreadful - bad art, poor flow, cliché dialogue (Luthor being especially terrible - a real paint-by-numbers "re-imagining" of him), and yes, Superman looks like Superboy, or perhaps a character who could hang out in Riverdale with Archie and the gang. Someone should get Rags Morales some silver/copper Supes books featuring the classic art of Curt Swan, but then again I guess those depictions wouldn't really fly with the apparent tween-teen demo DC is targeting with this title. Needless to say I won't be buying issue No. 2.

On the other hand, 'Tec 1 was indeed expectedly dark and grim. I know nothing of the talent handling that title but I probably will check out what comes next, at least for a little while.

They just should bring back John Byrne.

He knew how to do a reboot.

man_of_steel_1.png

I'd agree 100% the Byrne arc was very good. When DC introduced the Crisis to the Infinate Earths to re image it's universe and remove many "worlds" plus clean up it's history I felt it was a major sucess plus Perez art was awesome. This new rebirth story is half baked. As as self confessed Marvel Zombie I have given up on almost all Marvel books since the real Spider-Man was killed under this Mephesto created alternate world (as far as I care to think it is) I started to really like some of the DC books the art was very good and the stories were thought provoking. Now it's back to the back issues :whatev:

They just should bring back John Byrne.

He knew how to do a reboot.

man_of_steel_1.png

I agree with you 100% about Byrne. Also this reboot really does a disservice to the Crisis of Infinate Earths that story arc through every DC book and the story line Perez helped create was awesome. As a self confessed Marvel Zombie recently I gave up on Marvel books when they killed Spider-Man in the Mephisto self created alternate universe. I started to really like where DC was going and begin picking up many of their books. Now It's only back issues and the Walking Dead.

I also miss captions as well as the thought balloon. I have always found the "internal monologue" to be important to the story.

Stripping away the narrator and internal monologue flatten the storytelling.

Couldn't agree more. The internal monologue creates a relationship between the characters and the reader. We're privy to knowledge with each character that they're not sharing with every other character in the book. Losing that creates a wall between the characters and the reader.

I am very dissapointed from JLA 1 also (tsk) I have every JLA book issued for the last 24 years and I have had very big hopes about this issue. It is too short, there is very simpel plot and I realy expect more from the Lee`s art.

I have just read "Men Of War" 1. Great comic :applause: I have always like Sgt,Rock and it seems like the new line will be very strong.

Just read Detective Comics and Green Arrow. The first one is great - very good art and inriguing story. The second one is a total disaster. I am a big Green Arrow fan, but this issue is just awful. He use again his tricky arrows, the costume is pretty bad and this issue missing any plot. I will check the next two issues but it seem like my very long run of Green Arrow comics will stop here :sorry:

Just read Detective Comics and Green Arrow. The first one is great - very good art and inriguing story. The second one is a total disaster. I am a big Green Arrow fan, but this issue is just awful. He use again his tricky arrows, the costume is pretty bad and this issue missing any plot. I will check the next two issues but it seem like my very long run of Green Arrow comics will stop here :sorry:

See here is what I am finding about Green Arrow. If you are a long time Green Arrow fan you didnt like it. I am just a passing Green Arrow fan and I loved it. New innovation, great new set up and better then average art.

I just thought it was gross...

detective.jpg

But I suppose that is what sells these days.

I agree with you, the first two or three pages of Detective Comics 1 , have the Joker slashing someone with a knife , nice !!!

and that`s why I am not a fan of no Comic Code Authority for mainstream comics.

Here with the freedom versus order theory. The creative freedom far outbalances the order.

Example I will read the latest Detective Comics, but I don`t think this is something I want my 10 year old son reading.

2c

detective.jpg

I agree with you, the first two or three pages of Detective Comics 1 , have the Joker slashing someone with a knife , nice !!!

Here with the freedom versus order theory. The creative freedom far outbalances the order.

Example I will read the latest Detective Comics, but I don`t think this is something I want my 10 year old son reading.

2c

That's because statistically speakin your 10 year old son wouldn't be reading it anyway... the violence appeals to an older group of people.

As for me I'm still in love with the ingenuity of the 50's heroes :D

detective.jpg

2c

That's because statistically speakin your 10 year old son wouldn't be reading it anyway... the violence appeals to an older group of people.

As for me I'm still in love with the ingenuity of the 50's heroes :D

But if 10 year olds aren't reading comics today, who will be reading/buying them in 10 or 20 years? One of the few good things about a relaunch like this would be a good jumping on point for young readers who might buy for the #1 on the cover and stay for the stories. But without any restraint on things like violence these books aren't going to be good for younger kids and thus they won't turn into older collectors.

I'll be reading them (I'm 19).

Anyway I understand what you're trying to say, I think violent comics have a (big) place in the market, but I think they shouldn't come from Marvel or DC unless they have the Vertigo or Marvel Max logo on the cover.

I haven't read tec 1 yet, but I was under the impression the reboot would be kid-friendly(lier).

I'll be reading them (I'm 19).

Anyway I understand what you're trying to say, I think violent comics have a (big) place in the market, but I think they shouldn't come from Marvel or DC unless they have the Vertigo or Marvel Max logo on the cover.

I haven't read tec 1 yet, but I was under the impression the reboot would be kid-friendly(lier).

I'm glad you are a younger reader, and you are likely in the very low end of the age range for the collectors here. I am 39, and I know that a lot of guys on this board are more than a bit older than me. Comic collectors have been a demographic in decline for years and that trend will continue if younger readers (younger than you) don't get into a monthly fix of comic reading. As we age, with nobody to replace us from younger generations, the publishers will stop putting out new books, which are expensive to produce, and stick to endless reprints or concentrate on the real money makers like licensing and movies.

FWIW, I read Swamp Thing #1 and will continue to pick it up for a while. I am typically not a DC reader but I used to read a lot of the Vertigo stuff and I put together a complete run of Saga #1-171. This seems like an interesting story.