• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC52 reduced reading level reminds me of the show can you beat a Fifth Grader

62 posts in this topic

Just finished the JLA #1 in lightning speed doh!. What a terrible book! Art was just passable and that was Jim Lee.

Seems like they have returned to their early Silver Age roots with the most simpleton scripts and little to no plot. :frustrated:

If the rest of the DC 52 reboot is the same, consider it a crash and burn for DC.

With prices at $2.99 to $3.99 even the Fifth grader will want their money back. :roflmao:

Will this impact DC Silver Age/Bronze and Cooper prices or drive them up since who is going to spend $$$ on Moderns. :idea:

Justice league international was a letdown. Full of cliches. I think the writer was trying to interject some humor, similiar to the original series, but it didn't work.

Detective rocked the house I thought! That last page was killer. I'm glad to see Tony Daniel start off strong.

Stormwatch has potential for sure, but I have to admit a second reading will do me good on that issue.

Justice league international was a letdown. Full of cliches. I think the writer was trying to interject some humor, similiar to the original series, but it didn't work.

Detective rocked the house I thought! That last page was killer. I'm glad to see Tony Daniel start off strong.

Stormwatch has potential for sure, but I have to admit a second reading will do me good on that issue.

Ok on Detective I have to admit this is one you HAVE to buy since it changes everything......no spoiler you gotta read this one..... (thumbs u

The rest so far looked like they were smoking something funny :roflmao:

Just finished the JLA #1 in lightning speed doh!. What a terrible book! Art was just passable and that was Jim Lee.

Seems like they have returned to their early Silver Age roots with the most simpleton scripts and little to no plot. :frustrated:

If the rest of the DC 52 reboot is the same, consider it a crash and burn for DC.

With prices at $2.99 to $3.99 even the Fifth grader will want their money back. :roflmao:

Will this impact DC Silver Age/Bronze and Cooper prices or drive them up since who is going to spend $$$ on Moderns. :idea:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the words you are using.

Forgive me, I'm on break from a very long meeting.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the words you are using.

Forgive me, I'm on break from a very long meeting.

:hi:

I have never understood the logic in rebooting an entire universe (creating an alternate universe, whatever ad naseum) - instead of taking 5-7 issues and introducing plot points that would irreparably put the old characters into the new scenarios or personalities they wanted.

- - God grief, Commissioner Gordon, we just unearthed these crime scene photos from a stashed file at police HQ that show the Batman's parents were killed by the Joker, not Joe Chill! - -

- - Golly gee whiz, Lois, can you believe that the evil Dr. Hobbes shot Superman with his transmorgrifier ray and stripped away his ability to fly? I bet he's going to be one angsty SOB now! - -

To me, as heavy handed that is, is soooooooo much more plausible from a comic perspective than "rebooting" the universe simply because a bunch of writers want to "take these characters into new directions". If these people were half as good at writing as they claim to be, they'd be able to transform the characters within their writing - not just changing them overnight. That's just simply laziness on the writers and editors part.

I also picked up JLA #1 and was excited about the possibility of having a new book to read regularly. I don't read a lot of moderns but with the talent working on it and having a new starting point I thought it would be a good time to give it a try but overall it was very disappointing.

I would have loved to have seen more story and dialog from Geoff Johns on the pages (shrug)

This was my problem. It was a quick read, and nothing happened in it. I got the book for free, and I still feel like I wasted money.

I think comics are too short of a read as well. Except for Robert Kirkmam books, those always seem to be a longer read. I usually read every comic twice, and I have to remind myself to slow down and "read" the artwork.

The thing I notice about moderns compared to other ages is that narration is no longer used at all. All of the story moves along through either dialogue or the art. I don't know if the comic companies thought it was too hoakey or what, but I find books that use narration and words like "meanwhile" or "later that evening at the batcave" tend to have better flow and feel more complete.

In the silver age you had a narrator explaining what the hero was thinking or what they were doing, which led to longer read. Today those same things are shown through the art or dialogue, which is why you get some pretty crappy dialogue sometimes. It's great to have all that beautiful art and storytelling through that, but it makes for a quick read if you don't stop to "read" the art.

whats with this batwing character is he someone new or what?

Batwing is a spawn of the whole Batman Inc. thing. I never read Batman Incorporated so I don't know if he existed before this reboot or not. The story is set in Africa, The city of tinasha in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Batwing's alter ego is a cop, in a corrupt police force. He has a Batcave called "the haven" and all of his tech is funded by Batman. He appears to have an Alfred type character helping him as well. He's new at this superhero crimefighting thing which is a nice dynamic that Judd Winick touches on in the first issue. Maybe I had low expectations but I liked the book. It was a nice change of pace to have a big title take place somewhere other than Gotham, Metropolis, etc. It seems to be a book that is going to take full advantage of the lack of the use of the comics code.

I'm picking up issue two.

I purchased digital copies of Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #1, Justice League #1, Justice League International #1, and Stormwatch #1 so far.

Detective Comics was the most interesting. Action Comics #1 was the most annoying as it seemed to be more the adventures of Smallville/Superboy instead of Superman.

The thing I notice about moderns compared to other ages is that narration is no longer used at all. All of the story moves along through either dialogue or the art. I don't know if the comic companies thought it was too hoakey or what, but I find books that use narration and words like "meanwhile" or "later that evening at the batcave" tend to have better flow and feel more complete.

I also miss captions as well as the thought balloon. I have always found the "internal monologue" to be important to the story.

Stripping away the narrator and internal monologue flatten the storytelling.