• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYX 3 bringing in high $$$ - time to sell?

119 posts in this topic

I can't think of anyone to take the spot for a possible movie, but whoever it is has their work cut out for them given the darkness of the character.

That's why I feel so strongly about Natalie Portman. She adequately looks the part and IMO she's bar none the best actress out there. She's especially good with complex, emotional characters. Her agent should be shot (figuratively) for allowing her to play that of a character in Thor with such a poorly written -script.

I don't know about her acting,but Selena Gomez looks the part as X-23

Selena-Gomez.jpg

I could see Selena(hard working child actor) in the role as it doesn't really need a lot of dialouge and she can pull a pissed-off face pretty well from what I have seen of her clips. But, 'tween movies like Monte Carlo(still poised to make more of a profit then Green Lantern though) and girly music videos might hurt any possible action movie credibility with the boys. But, being in a Disney contract(co-owners of Marvel) can't hurt either. Great choice. (thumbs u

Could be a great role for her to jump out of, away from the bubble gum roles that Disney has her doing.

I could see Selena(hard working child actor) in the role as it doesn't really need a lot of dialouge and she can pull a pissed-off face pretty well from what I have seen of her clips. But, 'tween movies like Monte Carlo(still poised to make more of a profit then Green Lantern though) and girly music videos might hurt any possible action movie credibility with the boys. But, being in a Disney contract(co-owners of Marvel) can't hurt either. Great choice. (thumbs u

I think a lot of it depends on which X23 you want to portray. The NYX version seemed more sad than angry. When I read it I just wanted to hold her and tell her it will be OK lol

But yeah, in the X23 series her sadness seemed to turn to anger.

I would really like to see them do a well made X23. Doubtful they will though. Marvel seems to only make movies of longtime, well established characters. Unless there's one I'm forgetting.

Marvel will have to eventually experiment with more modern characters to reach a Modern audience. Remember Kiss-Ack, from last year tapped a more edgy audience and that property has been around for a few years. I do not see the storyline from NYX, being used as a basis for a commercial mainstream movie. Way too adult and somber. Maybe ones from her stand-alone series or her stint from New X-Men, to maximize the X-genre. My 2c

I think a lot of it depends on which X23 you want to portray. The NYX version seemed more sad than angry. When I read it I just wanted to hold her and tell her it will be OK lol

I would really like to see them do a well made X23. Doubtful they will though. Marvel seems to only make movies of longtime, well established characters. Unless there's one I'm forgetting.

Marvel will have to eventually experiment with more modern characters to reach a Modern audience. Remember Kiss-Ack, from last year tapped a more edgy audience and that property has been around for a few years. I do not see the storyline from NYX, being used as a basis for a commercial mainstream movie. Way too adult and somber. Maybe ones from her stand-alone series or her stint from New X-Men, to maximize the X-genre. My 2c
(thumbs u I certainly would be in line to see an X-23 movie.

I can't think of anyone to take the spot for a possible movie, but whoever it is has their work cut out for them given the darkness of the character.

That's why I feel so strongly about Natalie Portman. She adequately looks the part and IMO she's bar none the best actress out there. She's especially good with complex, emotional characters. Her agent should be shot (figuratively) for allowing her to play that of a character in Thor with such a poorly written -script.

The days of casting proven actors Robert Downey Jr. or Anthony Hopkins, are most likely over, as they proved with 80% of the cast of Thor and X:Men First Class(and soon the new Spider-Man reboot) they don't need names to open movies, but time-proven mythologies and $$$ special effects.

The days of casting proven actors Robert Downey Jr. or Anthony Hopkins, are most likely over, as they proved with 80% of the cast of Thor and X:Men First Class(and soon the new Spider-Man reboot) they don't need names to open movies, but time-proven mythologies and $$$ special effects.

Natalie Portman a great actress,a beautiful woman,just a little too old for the part.

Natalie Portman a great actress,a beautiful woman,just a little too old for the part.

Same thing with Summer Glau, a little too old for the character now. :(

Heck, it happens with the guys too. Look at Tobey Maguire if he had a shot to continue Spidey. It would have been Roger Moore and "A View To A Kill" all over again. :preach:

It makes little sense that NYX #3 sells for $50-$100, while #4 is a $3 book.

:screwy:

Oh, and New Mutants #98 wasn't a very high printed book. Higher than #87, sure, but probably in the 250-300K range, with the typical 30-50% being returns.

X-Force #2, on the other hand....THAT was printed in the gazillions.

Actually, I'm not sure those numbers are correct. As I recall, all mutant books around that time had very high print runs (and there were only two- New Mutants and Uncanny X-men, X-force and X-men would come out in a few months with huge print runs, Excalibur didn't really count but still sold okay). Sadly, Rob Liefeld was something of a sensation at the time and I remember very high numbers for NM 98. Both Capital City and Diamond had very high demand for those titles at that time. Which makes sense when you look at the number of high grade copies certified.

I think when I ordered NM 98 for our store, it was at about 70% of whatever we ordered for Uncanny X-men at the time, which was by far the number one seller, of course (1 million comes to mind but I could be wrong). I seem to remember it was one of the Greg Buls recommendations for buying quantities also. But yes, it was definitely ramped up from NM 87 numbers.

And I agree whole-heartedly that it makes little sense that NYX 4 is such a cheap book. (thumbs u

Those numbers are wrong.

While it is true that numbers were definitely UP because of Cable and Liefeld, they weren't anywhere near what they would be in 1991. New Mutants #98 actually suffered a drop in orders because X-Tinction Agenda was over.

From the Statement of Ownership, published in New Mutants #99. The date of filing was October 1, 1990. NM #98 came out in December of 1990. that means the issue nearest the reporting date for which they would have numbers would have been #93 (July), which received a bump because of the highly anticipated Wolvie vs. Cable battle.

Here's the nuts n' bolts:

002-54.jpg

Notice the jump from "average" to "issue nearest filing date." Also notice that total distribution, which is the money number, is over 60% for issue #93. That's where the proof that NM was on the rise is.

But no, they didn't go from 318,000 copies printed to "1 million" copies printed in 5 months. ;) While it's true that Cable and New Mutants were rocking the comics world, and Jim Lee was doing even better over in X-Men, Spidey was still the dominant seller at that point, and would be until X-Force #1 came out in June, fully 6 months later.

Also, the number of slabbed copies is a fraction of the amount that exists. 2329 copies represents about a little less than 1% of the print runs

We have this discussion every six months or so.

PS. Greg Buls. lol New Mutants #98 came and went without a splash. Deadpool wouldn't appear again for seven more months (X-Force #2), and would sporadically appear for the next two years. It wasn't until Deadppol got his own mini in 1993 that he became moderately hot, and then it fizzled again. NM #98 would remain essentially the same as surrounding issues until about 2004-5 (as slabbed sales history confirms.)

It makes little sense that NYX #3 sells for $50-$100, while #4 is a $3 book.

:screwy:

Oh, and New Mutants #98 wasn't a very high printed book. Higher than #87, sure, but probably in the 250-300K range, with the typical 30-50% being returns.

X-Force #2, on the other hand....THAT was printed in the gazillions.

Actually, I'm not sure those numbers are correct. As I recall, all mutant books around that time had very high print runs (and there were only two- New Mutants and Uncanny X-men, X-force and X-men would come out in a few months with huge print runs, Excalibur didn't really count but still sold okay). Sadly, Rob Liefeld was something of a sensation at the time and I remember very high numbers for NM 98. Both Capital City and Diamond had very high demand for those titles at that time. Which makes sense when you look at the number of high grade copies certified.

I think when I ordered NM 98 for our store, it was at about 70% of whatever we ordered for Uncanny X-men at the time, which was by far the number one seller, of course (1 million comes to mind but I could be wrong). I seem to remember it was one of the Greg Buls recommendations for buying quantities also. But yes, it was definitely ramped up from NM 87 numbers.

And I agree whole-heartedly that it makes little sense that NYX 4 is such a cheap book. (thumbs u

Actually, those numbers are probably only slightly low - if even that.

New Mutants #99 has the statement of ownership for 1990 and mentions an average print run of 289,387, with average total paid circulation of 182,499. Even if we assume those numbers to have picked up a bit in the last 4-5 issues of the title, it's still not far from what RMA estimated.

Capital City ordered 55,000 copies of New Mutants #98, by the way.

And as an aside, there was a third X-Title, at the time: X-Factor! And it was more successful than New Mutants. The corresponding statement of ownership for X-Factor in 1990 shows an average print run of 406K with 268K TPC.

Uncanny X-Men at the time had an avg print run of about 600K (400K total paid) and it would top at 700-750K in the next couple of years. It never became a steady 1M book. (The aggressively ordered #281 being a possible exception, but that feat was never repeated...)

And I, too, agree that NYX #4 is ridiculously low! :sumo:

Beaten to the punch.

:)

(thumbs u I certainly would be in line to see an X-23 movie.

Indeed. Much rather see the older character (X-23/X-Force) rather than the younger one. That's why I see some sort of tie-in with the Wolverine/X-Men movies. Maybe flashbacks to younger years and using a younger actress for such scenes? Not sure. I definitely see a movie coming for her, just not anytime soon. She needs more character development and exposure, of coarse.

Indeed. Much rather see the older character (X-23/X-Force) rather than the younger one. That's why I see some sort of tie-in with the Wolverine/X-Men movies. Maybe flashbacks to younger years and using a younger actress for such scenes? Not sure. I definitely see a movie coming for her, just not anytime soon. She needs more character development and exposure, of coarse.

I also agree with the X-men tie in, as Hugh Jackman would do a good job playing the mentor father figure kind of like he did with Rogue.

I can also see them replaying the scenario they did in X-men Evolution, where she goes off on her own to lay waste to the Mutant X facility and Wolverine tries to stop her, and alternatively demands to tag along.

I also agree with the X-men tie in, as Hugh Jackman would do a good job playing the mentor father figure kind of like he did with Rogue.

I can also see them replaying the scenario they did in X-men Evolution, where she goes off on her own to lay waste to the Mutant X facility and Wolverine tries to stop her, and alternatively demands to tag along.

OK, I love this character and such, but do not ever see her in a solo movie. Not ever. Why? Well, because of basically she is just Wolverine without a..., you know. After failed attempts with female driven movies and shows(Catwoman or Wonder Woman, yes, I know this is Marvel), I just don't ever see a X-23 movie too. What I did see was if X-Men had continued it's course after #3, she would have perfectly fit in the ensemble of New X-Men in part #4 if it was ever made. But, that opportunity is lost since the series re-booted(rather successfully as my Friday Night viewing went). I believe her character couldn't successfully carry a film on celluloid unless she was part of a bigger group as most of her acting would be reacting to others with greater powers and studying her enemies as she fights them. I feel she would stand out better that way(but differently), like Wolverine stole the first X-Men film. If there ever was a "New X-Men" movie she would most likely walk away from it as the bad-azz.

OK, I love this character and such, but do not ever see her in a solo movie. Not ever. Why? Well, because of basically she is just Wolverine without a..., you know. After failed attempts with female driven movies and shows(Catwoman or Wonder Woman, yes, I know this is Marvel), I just don't ever see a X-23 movie too. What I did see was if X-Men had continued it's course after #3, she would have perfectly fit in the ensemble of New X-Men in part #4 if it was ever made. But, that opportunity is lost since the series re-booted(rather successfully as my Friday Night viewing went). I believe her character couldn't successfully carry a film on celluloid unless she was part of a bigger group as most of her acting would be reacting to others with greater powers and studying her enemies as she fights them. I feel she would stand out better that way(but differently), like Wolverine stole the first X-Men film. If there ever was a "New X-Men" movie she would most likely walk away from it as the bad-azz.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I don't see her doing an X23 solo unless she becomes well established. I was thinking along the lines you were, that she would be introduced in another X-men movie. But taking it further I can see her being a focal point as well. It would be much like the X-men Evolution cartoon where she first appeared.

I don't necessarily think Marvel Entertainment will do it, but I wish they would.

I agree, Jerel. But I also think that we are looking at it from today's point of view. Hence, the reason that I see a movie in the distant future (2015+). She still needs quite some development and exposure. Maybe the right intros in other movies as you suggested.

And as for Catwoman and Wonder Woman, they are definitely not in the same nature as X-23. Hence, the reason I can see an older, "angry", and violent character hit well at the box office for us nerds that like blood, anger and a hot lady in a sweet costume lol

much like in the X-Force run. Now that I can see.

I do not think this character can be the next Deadpool because she is too derivative of an already established character. More like the next Venom.

Good point. I don't see her as the next Deadpool either. But I can see her pulling off X-Force action on the big screen at some level. :)

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I don't see her doing an X23 solo unless she becomes well established. I was thinking along the lines you were, that she would be introduced in another X-men movie. But taking it further I can see her being a focal point as well. It would be much like the X-men Evolution cartoon where she first appeared.

I don't necessarily think Marvel Entertainment will do it, but I wish they would.

Beat me to the punch. ;)

While I agree she would do a great job I just dont think she would take the role if it was offered to her. It doesnt fit the type of characters she likes to play or has played. Someone similiar to Eilza Dushku would be a nice choice I think.

He pretty much makes my point in both comics and movies for this character. Alot of more development would need to happen.