• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My review of the new DC 52 ((week 2 on page 5))

166 posts in this topic

Loved Bat Girl, Detective and JLA

Thought JLA International was okay

Batwing terrible Winnick disappointed, but it will take a few issues

Really liked Green Arrow too.

Winnick always starts slow. I preferred his work on "the Real World" to his writing honestly.

Thought his Exiles work was great. Havent seen anything else he has done very well since.

Agree with your ratings. I have not read new comics in years but am throughly enjoying the new books, even if I detest what they did.

There trick worked on me however.

Read Tec, Action, and JL #1's so far. JL, loved it but wow its short. Action not bad pretty good, the Tec was boring and a lackluster "debut"

I have to disagree with your assessment of Detective though, I thought it was a solid book and the ending just blew me away.

Yeah, that ending was something else. I just decided to read it again. It reads better the 2nd time having the ending in mind.

I swear I am not a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but I didn't understand the ending. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one doh!

Try reading it again. I skimped over some important stuff the first time through with the joker that played a big part in the ending. I'm trying to keep this thread spoiler free, but i think a second read paying attention to the joker and his victims will help with a better understanding.

Not really the joker then? I haven't read it a second time yet

Comixology finally updated....downloaded a couple books that I didn't pre-order from mailordercomics.com.

Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. I'm giving this book an A. There was a lot to cover and Jeff Lemire worked wonders. Anybody who thought this title sounded ridiculous and skipped it, is missing out. The art fits the title very well, exactly what this book needs. I won't go into detail for fear of spoilers but I highly recommend this one. Lemire is the star of this relaunch so far.

Red Lanterns I'm giving this one an A as well. I wasn't expecting squat from this, in fact I wasn't sure how the Red Lanterns could even support a title of their own. I was pleasantly surprised. Atrocitus was a character with a mean streak and a vengeful spirit, not much more as far as I was concerned. Well, with this first issue he is soooo much more. Very nicely done. The art...Ed Benes, nuff said...actually I will say more, it is ridiculously good and the clean crisp lines fit so well for this book. One thing I will say, the opening sequence with the Red Lantern Cat was awesome.

I have done pretty poorly in my choice of titles that I pre-ordered. I skipped Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Detective, Frankenstein and Red Lanterns, all comics that now that I have read them, are going on my pull list.

I pre-ordered Batwoman but I couldn't wait until my books shipped so I broke down and bought the digital version. I've been looking forward to this book for sooo long now, the temptation was too big to resist.

I had my reservations about Williams and Blackman splitting the writing chores, but those fears were quickly put to rest. The story beginning as a flashback was a nice touch, and had a very creepy, dreamlike feel thanks to the art. The dialogue was nicely done and sets the stage very well for where this book is headed and who the main players will be.

I'm sure I don't need to rave about the art, but I will anyway. Williams has picked up right where he left off in Detective. His pages and layout are easily the best in the business right now. Credit has to be given to the colorist, Dave Stewart, as well.

One thing though and I don't know why, but it seemed like a short book, not necessarily in time it took to read, but actual number of pages. I had to go back and count them to make sure it was a full 22 pages and sure enough it was.

Despite that weird anomaly I am giving this book an A as well. It lived up to my expectations. I'm hoping Williams can keep up the pace...he's had a big enough head start I should certainly think so.