• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for the MAD magazine gurus

9 posts in this topic

When I was a kid (70's) my dad had several MAD magazines from the late 60's early 70's (long since gone :( )

One of them had a REALLY funny (too me anyways) piece in it. I cannot remember what issue it was from, but I want to say it was around the time of the Adam 12 time period.

Here is the gist:

A series of school papers written by a student through the years. I remember it starts off with a hand written grade school type paper on pigs. The theme of the pigs continues throughout the remainder of the student's education culminating with a PhD.

Ring any bells? I would love to get a copy of that issue for my dad he is a retired professor and it was one of his favorites.

Ring any bells? I would love to get a copy of that issue for my dad he is a retired professor and it was one of his favorites.

Rather than getting out my Mads and reading through to find it, I might have to dig out the Mad CD-Rom and install it for reading. What is the "Adam 12" era -- would that be around 1967? I vaguely recall what you're talking about, and conceptually it does sound like something someone might have written in the late 1960s (maybe Arnie Kogen, Frank Jacobs, Stan Hart, or DeBartolo wrote it)...

Rather than getting out my Mads and reading through to find it, I might have to dig out the Mad CD-Rom and install it for reading. What is the "Adam 12" era -- would that be around 1967? I vaguely recall what you're talking about, and conceptually it does sound like something someone might have written in the late 1960s (maybe Arnie Kogen, Frank Jacobs, Stan Hart, or DeBartolo wrote it)...

Thanks for the help everyone. I found it in issue # 173 from April 1973. If you have not read it it is a funny piece.

Here is a link that shows it.

http://www.madcoversite.com/mad158_phd.html

Cool, good hunting there. So the writer is Tom Koch. I don't remember whether he was a regular.

You would'nt happen to have a scan of the classic "Howard at the Mike" gag that ran in the same issue as "The Odd father" rip off do you?

I love an excuse to drag out long forgotten Mads. Oh, the nostalgia . . .

Mad155a1184x1602.jpg

Mad155b1200x1608.jpg

Mad155c1190x1604.jpg

Drucker and Davis are brilliant caricaturists.

Thank you for posting this!