• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Search of the Perfect Animal Man (Strange Adventures 180 9.8)

32 posts in this topic

I've never seen it, but CGC says it exists, and GPA never shows it selling...

as a big AM fan, I'd love to see the 9.8 copy of SA 180..

I've got my own 9.2 copy, but fantasize about that 9.8... :luhv:

Has anyone seen it, or know where I can see a scan of it, or know who owns it... hm

It's the Pacific Coast copy and sold a long time ago (think in 04) for a little under 4K if I remember correctly.

A boardie's friend owns it (forgot who) but if it ever did come up for sale I'm sure there'll be more then a couple people who'd make a run at it.

Yup, impossible book in grade. The PC copy is a freak of nature.

On the other hand, maybe a few mega-sales of this book and suddenly 9.4 and better copies will come out of the woodworks just like GL 76.

I would love a 9.0 copy myself. I could be way off, but I doubt that more copies in the high grade will come out. The GL/GA run by Neal Adams became very popular, but ANimal Man ? Not so much.

SA 180 is probably like Batman 238, one of those books that is as rare as hen's teeth in 9.4 or higher.

I would love a 9.0 copy myself. I could be way off, but I doubt that more copies in the high grade will come out. The GL/GA run by Neal Adams became very popular, but ANimal Man ? Not so much.

SA 180 is probably like Batman 238, one of those books that is as rare as hen's teeth in 9.4 or higher.

I tend to agree. Also, the GL 76 is a much later book, with more collectors in the market, whereas SA 180 is a 1965 DC book, which I suspect had far fewer collectors - and then you've also got the black and white backgrounds, which make high grades harder...

So, have you seen the PC copy? - and if so, do you know where I could see a scan of it, or could you tell me about it if you know (Page quality, alignment, color richness)... It's just a book I've never seen, and as an AM fan, one I'd like to...

Mine certainly isn't perfect, but it is a double cover. It's (probably) a VF+ inner cover, might benefit from a press if one is into that sort of thing.

Yes, you've got a really nice double cover. :applause:

Thanks for sharing pictures of it with me a few months ago.

I'm guessing it's the nicest double cover in existence, given the scarcity of double covers and of nice SA 180's...

If I'm not mistaken I think I saw the PC Strange Adventures 180 at Steve Ritter's booth in San Diego like 3 years ago. Then again, I could be totally wrong given the information provided by TeddieMecede. You could always contact worldwidecomics.com to verify if this is true or not?

Here's my copy of SA 180:

lf.jpg

What I like most about it is the centering - both the other copies of SA 180 9.2 that had sold on HA did not have such nice centering, and that's an issue I really don't like... :pullhair:

Of course, I've got that stamp on the cover - speaking of, does anyone know what that stamp means? ???

I overpaid a little for it - sold in 2007 for $450, and then resold in 2010 for $280 (now that's a deal) - and I got it for $475 (seller wouldn't budge, and I decided it was worth it)...

Of course, I've got that stamp on the cover - speaking of, does anyone know what that stamp means? ???

Looks like a typical store date stamp. (shrug)

Sure, but the store stamps I grew up with had a date like "Mar 7 1978" on it or a store name on it, but this one says something like "16 Jul 28 P.M." - what could that mean?