• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top sticker peeling off slabs (chronic problem?)

31 posts in this topic

A while ago I submitted a question to the 'Ask CGC' forum asking if they could supply replacement top labels since I've got a couple of dozen that are missing them.

I never got a response so I guess the answer was 'no.'

Being the obsessively finicky collector that I am, it bugged me to look at a box of books that had any missing top stickers. So a couple different times, I've scanned the stickers from other books and Frankensteined labels together in Photoshop. Between the scanning, photoshopping, and gluing, it took me about 30 minutes to create a new sticker for each book. I'm kind of nuts, I know.

It's not so much the cosmetic part that bothers me. I like a tight pristine sticker on the edge because it's an added indicator as to whether the slab has been pried opened. I know these slabs are similar to the ones that PSA uses for sports cards where they're supposed to be "tamper evident" versus "tamper proof", but having something on the edge would be a really nice visual aid.

It's not so much the cosmetic part that bothers me. I like a tight pristine sticker on the edge because it's an added indicator as to whether the slab has been pried opened. I know these slabs are similar to the ones that PSA uses for sports cards where they're supposed to be "tamper evident" versus "tamper proof", but having something on the edge would be a really nice visual aid.

And it works so well with it only peeling off when someone tampers with it and whatnot.

This is what I'd like to see. They're already investing in that nice shiny sticker on the front of the slab. How much more would it be to simply put a seal on the edge like this?

2656264.jpg

i love vincent bo jackson, i got a throwback black raiders jersey that i sport on sundays.

It's not so much the cosmetic part that bothers me. I like a tight pristine sticker on the edge because it's an added indicator as to whether the slab has been pried opened.

No it's not. As mentioned before its only purpose is to see what the book is when placed upright in a box. I've never heard anybody suggest that if the sticker has peeled away or missing than the inside book is possibly tainted.

No need to worry.

Jim