• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNRECOGNIZED PEDIGREE BY CGC.....GOLDEN STATE COLLEXN

49 posts in this topic

im not sure why cgc doesnt recoginse this pedigree, maybe cos the books werent didnt have certificates like the winnipegs, but dan greenhalghs golden state find is worthy of pedigree status, imo

altho the1962,1963 and 1964 numbers may only be in the vf+ to vfnm range, just about every book there on up is nm or better

id have to dig out dans ol dcatalog but there were runs of stuff all nm/m

i had some books cgc'd

av 71 cgc 9.6 white

thor 150 cgc 9.6 ow /w

thor 151 cgc 9.6 white

hulk 141 cgc 9.6 white

thor 148 cgc 9.4 undergraded

hulk 122 cgc white

dd 168 cgc 9.6 white

i know the dd 131, 132 got 9.6's

avengers 9 cgc 9.2

ff 38 cgc 9.4

im sure the hulk 141 is happy in its new home with the rest of its 9.6. 9.8 brethern!!

who on the boaRDS has golden states??

im not sure why cgc doesnt recoginse this pedigree, maybe cos the books werent didnt have certificates like the winnipegs

That's exactly why. Dan regrets having not issued certificates with that one.

maybe it was becos he got severe cramp after having to sign all the winnipeg certs and wasnt keen of signing another 5000 plus certs!!!

I think he sold Golden State before Winnipeg. He told me he thought Golden State was the best Silver collection he had ever bought. I think Bob Storms and Brulato got a lot of the Marvels; I would assume some of the books Storms has been selling from his personal collection lately are Golden States.

I wish CGC would recognize the Golden State collection as the great pedigree that it is. If I remember correctly, the owner starting buying books off the newsstand around the time of ASM #28 (It’s a CGC 9.6). I think the earlier books were bought second hand. I’m guessing it’s not considered a pedigree because it wasn’t entirely original owner. (Or maybe it’s because nobody has lobbied hard enough).

I was lucky enough to buy about 150 books from Dan right after he acquired them. I took a road trip to Showcase and it was amazing to see boxes and boxes of books that looked like they were right off the newsstand. I wasn’t first in, but there were still near complete runs from 1965 to 1980. The pre-1965 books that were bought second hand were nothing special. But from 1965 on, the books were in phenomenal shape. I think they compare favorably with Curators and Pacific Coasts. They’re some of my favorite books.

Some of my CGC’d Golden States:

ASM #28 9.6 w

ASM #60 9.6 ow-w

ASM#66 9.8 w

ASM #72 9.6 w

ASM #144 9.8 w

ASM #146 9.8 ow-w

ASM #148 9.8 w

Avengers #47 9.8 w

DD #61 9.8 w

DD #158 9.6 w

Silver Surfer #9 9.6 ow

Tomb of Dracula #1 9.6 w

The nicest Journey Into Mystery Annual #1 I have ever seen was the Golden State copy which was given a NM/MT 9.8 by CGC. Not a glue wrinkle in sight !

As far as I am aware, this collection did indeed fulfill all the criteria required for a pedigree. However for reasons best known to himself, Dan's priority was to bring in some fast $$$, rather than waste time marketing the pedigree designation. confused-smiley-013.gif

The nicest Journey Into Mystery Annual #1 I have ever seen was the Golden State copy which was given a NM/MT 9.8 by CGC. Not a glue wrinkle in sight !

As far as I am aware, this collection did indeed fulfill all the criteria required for a pedigree. However for reasons best known to himself, Dan's priority was to bring in some fast $$$, rather than waste time marketing the pedigree designation. confused-smiley-013.gif

Steve B. told me in a phone conversation previously that the only reason that the collection wasn't officially recognized by CGC on its label is that the lack of a master list and/or certificates attached to the books. He agrees that it meets the pedigree requirement but it is difficult to prove that a book is from that collection so they have decided to not to note it on its label.

Ghost Town, great to see you make an appearance. You've got one of the great silver collections along with Tripps and Tom B, so I hope we'll see you weigh in every now and then!

I save dealer catalogs (hey, I'm a compulsive collector!), and have Showcase catalogs encompassing both the Golden State and Winnipeg collections. The Winnipeg collection was first listed in the January, 1997 Showcase NE catalog, whereas the Golden State books were first sold during the Fall, 1997. While the catalog doesn't state definitively that the earliest Marvels were purchased off the rack along with the 1965 and later material, there are some very high grade books predating 1965. Just a few examples: the DD2 is listed at NM93, while the 6 that I purchased is NM/M98. The Avengers 4 was sold as a NM94 copy. The earliest X-Men sold as a NM book was the 7. Most of the earliest Marvels were generally sold as VF+ - VF/NM range books, however.

I've got the Winnipeg Showcase catalog and the Original Owner/Pacific Coast listing from Robert Rotor, which may add to the discussion of those pedigrees when they've got their own threads.

Sure can, FF, although it'll take me a little while to have the time to do it. Got an old Motor City listing of many of the Northland Marvels, too, and one of Marnin's catalogs with Massachusetts books. Where would you like to start?

Sure can, FF, although it'll take me a little while to have the time to do it. Got an old Motor City listing of many of the Northland Marvels, too, and one of Marnin's catalogs with Massachusetts books. Where would you like to start?

Oh, I dunno, pick your favorite. Take months if you have to. THANKS! thumbsup2.gif

Also found Marnin's complete first listing of the Slobodian books that he sold. Since that would be the easiest to scan in toto, I'll start with that one this afternoon.

I've got the Winnipeg Showcase catalog and the Original Owner/Pacific Coast listing from Robert Rotor, which may add to the discussion of those pedigrees when they've got their own threads

Got an old Motor City listing of many of the Northland Marvels, too, and one of Marnin's catalogs with Massachusetts books.

893applaud-thumb.gif Looking forward to seeing all of these! thumbsup2.gif

i had the golden state av 4 and sent it back to dan

it was a beauty but it had the teenisest start of pre marvel chipping o/ it was 9.4 or possibly even 9.6 structure wise- it was snow white also

ive had the curator av 4 and that was a 9.2 and the golden state copy was superior imho, i dont knwo who owns the golden state copy now

Ghost Town knows about as much as anyone on the Golden State topic. He got to Showcase before I did and I know he bought a bunch of killer books. The bronze age books from this collection, in my opinion, are the best of any pedigree, although the Winnipegs are killer as well (funny, both come from Dan Greenhalgh). I bought most of the Winnipegs and still a majority of them (Bronze issues).

Too bad the original owner decided to buy back issues after he began purchasing off of the newsstand. Because these back issues did not match up to the quality of his newly purchased books, the collection had a noticeable lack of high grade books from roughly August, 1965 & before. I believe this is the only (in my mind unjustified) reason why CGC has not pedigreed the collection, because of the lack of uniformity and high grades throughout the runs. What a shame, as this collection truly warrants a pedigree status.

namisgr,

As a Pedigree fanatic, I would sincerely appreciat it if you could dig up the listings you referred to for Northlands & Mass. books (or any other now-known pedigree you may have). This stuff really floats my boat and adds to the nostalgic attraction of these original owner books.

I've purchased so many of the pedigrees you probably have the original listings for that it would be stupid not to have the lists/grades, etc.

These recent threads on pedigrees have been awesome. Thanks, folks!!