• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNRECOGNIZED PEDIGREE BY CGC.....GOLDEN STATE COLLEXN

49 posts in this topic

Have you built a shrine/display for them? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Probably the inside of a bank vault! Kinda sucks that the better your books are, the better idea it becomes that you should separate them from yourself. frown.gif

Surfer,

Me again. I hope you don't think I'm some rich, spoiled dude who took daddy's money and bought high grade runs. There could be nothing further from the truth. I love books and did what I could to get the best looking and, after CGC started, best graded books I could find. Sure, I had to pay some high prices to get some of the books, but it was the effort behind tracking down who had what, where, when, etc that led to the deals/trades/purchases in order to get high grade books. Sincer I love pedigrees, I got a bunch of those along the way.

Just didn't want anyone to think I'm some millionaire, etc with all this disposable income. Instead of putting money I earned as a lawyer (which wasn't a great amount) into stocks, bonds, bank, etc., I bought the things I wanted: Marvel Comics. Can't blame a fanboy for doing that!!

Anyway, great post on the Golden State Collection. Pedigrees and the stories behind them really fuel a lot of my interest in this hobby.

Highgrade buddy,

Just got a scanner last week. Thanks for offering to help. I got it for a different reason, but I'm sure going to use it for my own inventory.

BTW, I have no problem showing/sharing these books with anyone. Let me know if you're gonna be in N.J. or parts nearby, and we can get together for dinner, drinks & some 9.8 X-Men. I love talking books, etc and without being able to share the books & the stories behind them, what kind of fun would that be?.

Better yet, I'm going to Philly in 2 weeks (I'm definitely going to be there Sat., maybe Friday) and I'll have some books with me.

Don't stop these pedigree posts or I'll have nothing to do!!

Tripps I don't think that at all and it doesn't matter to me if your dad was rich, you won a lottery, whatever, more power to you. I appreciate hearing about how you landed these comics and I one day hope to be a position where I can have a collection that's half as nice as yours. thumbsup2.gif When I do I'll probably build that basement shrine I always wanted.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Surfer,

No harm taken, buddy. You sound like an o.k. dude and a true comic collector. It's guys like you who really make me appreciate the books I have put together and this awesome hobby.

BTW, I'm moving to Florida at the end of the year (wife and I decided to move into a house after apartment living all these years). I might take up your idea and set up some kind of room/office/garage space, etc. to devote to my books. Cool thought.

Surfer, happy collecting and keep in touch.

Doug Schmell

Hi Doug

Any idea how many books you actually own in total, and how many you have in H.G. that are still not CGC'd ?

p.s. Do you know anything about the J.I.M. #103 CGC 9.6 that crept onto the census recently, as I'd love to help yourself or Tom out when you ready to give up your 9.4 copies. thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gif

p.p.s. Now you've (finally) got a scanner, it would be amazing to see your "Canadian collection" J.I.M.s in the registry. popcorn.gif

Cap,

After a 20 year hiatus from collecting comics I started searching the internet to catch up on things and the because of these boards I have "rekindled the flame" and have picked up a bunch of key SA Marvel's in the past year that I could only drool over as a kid. Now I'm a board junkie, on them every day and I love it. Good luck on the move. thumbsup2.gif

r100,

Hey buddy. That JIM 103 was mine. I got it upgraded from a 9.4 (I knew it looked nicer!!). Alas, Tom know owns it, as well as my JIM 95 9.6. I got back 9.4s on both in a major trade (Tom & I have done some sick trades over the years!) that landed him the JIMs & a DD 4 9.6, but I got an Avengers 2 & 14 9.8 Curators!! (he got my 9.6 Pacific Coasts on both). I love those Journeys, but couldn't pass on the chance to get 2 more 9.8 early Avengers. It hurt even more breaking up the Avengers Pacific Coast run I had.

As for your question, I have thousands of books ungraded, mostly Bronze and Copper age books. They should all grade really high as they come from original owner collections I bought over the years (Winnipegs and Bloomfields from Dan Greenhalgh and the Reynolds collection from Vinnie Gula & Vincent Zurzolo)). I also have a bunch of ungraded Oaklands (from Zurzolo & Mike Carbonaro). I'm going to get all the high grade books slabbed pretty soon for inventory. The Bloomfields was a run of 70's books originating out of Bloomfield CT, while the Reynolds are even better books, SA & Bronze books, many in killer condition, named after the OO, Reynolds Verdan. His FF 9 is a 9.6, now owned by Tom.

The only SA books I have ungraded are doubles of Sgt Furys (I can't understand why no one else likes this title). I'm gonna grade thesec as well. Sorry, no Journeys, although I have plenty of Thors 201 & up waiting to be slabbed.

Keep in touch.

Surfer,

Thank you much. I appreciate it & I'm glad you're back into the books. I agree with you, these boards are awesome and really helps ignite (I'm sick of using "fuel") collectors' passion. The Registry is awesome as well. I hope you find many high grade SA books for your collection. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Best,

Doug

That JIM 103 was mine. I got it upgraded from a 9.4 (I knew it looked nicer!!). Alas, Tom know owns it, as well as my JIM 95 9.6. I got back 9.4s on both in a major trade (Tom & I have done some sick trades over the years!) that landed him the JIMs & a DD 4 9.6, but I got an Avengers 2 & 14 9.8 Curators!! (he got my 9.6 Pacific Coasts on both). I love those Journeys, but couldn't pass on the chance to get 2 more 9.8 early Avengers. It hurt even more breaking up the Avengers Pacific Coast run I had.

Tripps my man, that is some seriously sick action between you and Tom B! So is it fair to say that the two of you have slightly different collecting philosophies: he's more into getting a minimum 9.6 collection, and may sometimes be willing to give up his 9.8s in order to upgrade his 9.4s to 9.6, whereas you're more into simply getting the highest grade book you can, and will trade down in some cases to 9.4 in order to get a 9.8 (and hope that later you can upgrade your 9.4 to 9.6 or higher)? I'm not as rational as either of you (if rational can ever really be used in describing our collective obsessive compulsive behavior), I want the highest grade without having to give up anything! crazy.gif

Tim,

Excellent analysis, my man, but that wasn't the reasoning. When Tom found out I had the 103 upgraded to a 9.6 (he already knew about the 95 9.6), he called me and made a trade offer in order to land both, which I quickly rejected, as it would have only landed me the Curator Avengers 14 9.8.

I thought about it for a while and used his love of Journeys over that of Avengers to entice him into also throwing in the Avengers 2 Curator 9.8!! I really didn't want to give up the Pacific Coast 2 & 14 (both 9.6) and thus break up my complete PC Avengers 1-24 run in order to get his Curators, but how can you pass up 9.8s on these books. When I threw in the DD 4 9.6 (which I have since replaced, knowingly), plus a higher number FF he needed, the deal was done.

The true reasoning is this: some runs mean more to either Tom or I than other runs. As much as I love these Journeys, my Avengers run is so high grade and filled with 9.8s, that I couldn't pass this opportunity up. Same thing for Tom. His Avengers run isn't as strong as his Journey run and he didn't mind weakening it to strengthen the JIMs.

In fact, we've done countless trades in this fashion. One of us will weaken a less desirable or lower graded run (for him, X-Men, Avengers, DD; for me TOS, JIM & ASM) in order to get higher grades on books of better graded/more desirable runs.

It always seems that I'm weakening my TOS run in order to strengthen my Avengers or X-Men runs (you would not believe how many 9.6 or 9.8 TOS's Tom has gotten from me: 42, 46, 52, 55, etc, etc). It hurts thinking about it, but the killer books I've gotten in return makes it worth it.

The only neutral, hands-off run is FF (although he did get my 9.8 45 & 9.8 65 in deals I couldn't refuse). These books are sacrosaint (is that the word??).

Hope this little piece of our insanity answers your question!!

Thanks, Tim.

tripps

u and brualto are both very sick people....and you both need some professional help.......quickly...lol!!!

a 9.8 ff 45........ that is SICK

i hope i can one day have the pleasure of seeing some of your newsstand like, time capsule examples when i visit america.......soon

Tripps, I'd hate to see what Tom would be willing to throw at you to lure away your 9.6 FF 1!!

Too bad you're moving to FL. I try to get to NJ at least once a year to visit family, and would have loved to try to come over to view your "museum".

Tim,

I'm not moving for a few months. If we can meet before that, it would be great. LMK if you are going to be in the Jersey area before Labor day and I'll show you some high grade Marvels (dinner is on me!!).

Hope to see you, soon.

Doug

Doug, appreciate the offer. Unfortunately we're probably only hitting the left coast when we're back in the US this year. Guess I'll have to get to Florida one of these days (with a young daughter who loves all things Disney, I'd say there's an extremely high probability we'll be in the vicinity sometime in the next few years).

-Tim